Interchangeable?

Omni

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I would start here.
The question is: Will a tilt column from a '65 Imperial bolt up to a '65 Chrysler (Newport) without a lot of modifications? If mods are needed, what would they be?
Thanks to all who respond.
Omni

Not even close.

The Imperial was an old design by '65, with some elements dating back to 1957.

The C bodies were totally new and modern in '65.

Tilt column isn't worth the trouble in a C body. Look at photos and you will see just about every one is set in the same position as the stock wheel would be and if they are the '66-up telescopic, the wheel will always be fully retracted.

Jeff

I am not sure I agree (respectfully).

I love my tilt/tele columns, and put them in the full up position to exit/enter my cars, but drive with it set 2 notches lower than where a non tilt column would be.

It's all a personal thing. And I think they're a neat option - but then I love toys!!

I do know people who are tilt column flippers every time they get out of their car. My old boss was so automatic about it that I don't even think it required any conscious thought to do. Owning four GM vehicles in a row, they all used the same column, so there was no need to change his routine when moving on to his next car.

My first car, a '66 New Yorker, had tilt/telescopic. I tried driving it with the wheel and column at the extremes of their adjustments, and it was crazy.

I'll gladly admit that I am probably the biggest tilt/telescopic hater around when it comes to 1966 to 1980 Chrysler products. My brain just doesn't like the flat plane of the t/t compared to the deeper dished standard wheels.

I probably sold the most beautiful tilt/telescopic wheel and column to ever be offered up in the history of ebay. It was a great transaction because I got a fistful of cash for something I didn't need, and I made a person who wanted a tilt/telescopic extremely happy. Got some great feedback on that deal.

DSCF0262.JPG

DSCF0270.JPG

The original car in question here is a '65, and I harbor no ill will towards 1965 tilt columns because they are tilt only and use the standard wheel. The problem with this one is that it's a one year only column, cable shift, one car only and has to come from a Chrysler. The gain would be so little for the time and expense required to make the swap. The only way I could justify it would be if the driver absolutely needed the tilt feature to operate the car comfortably, and not just as an added gimmick.

Jeff

I use my tilt and telescope column every time I get in or out of the car but I'm six foot six and need some room to move

If you are looking to change steering wheels, be aware that in some years the shafts are of different diameters. I ran in to that on my '61 while trying to use a later "square" wheel. Good luck!

Back