interior lights issue?

swisherred

Reaction score
1967 newport fast top
How are the interior lights supposed to work in conjunction with the door switches?

currently,
1.both dome lights light when the drivers door opens, but neither with the passenger door. and no maplight.
2.neither dome light lights with the passenger door, but the maplight does.

I rebuilt the dash harness a few months ago using a 68-300 harness for parts (adding the timed ignition light circuit and additional fuse)...did I miss something or cross something, or is this actually working correctly?

Possibly an issue with the map light switch or harness? Everything else looks straight forward in the schematics till you get to the map light by pass circuit.

Last edited:
The map light might have TWO power sources. One is from the door switch(s). The other one is direct to the battery. The switch selects which one is being used, either door source or battery source (when the door(s) is closed. There can be a third option . . . power to turn on the dome lights when you turn the head light knob past the "detent" to turn on the dome lights manually. Not sure if the map light will come on with them in that mode.

The harness for the door switches is one harness, going to both switches. If the rh switch is not turning on the dome light, then there must be an "open" in that side of the circuit. As the lights only operate when the circuit "grounds", when the switch plunger extends as the door opens.

www.mymopar.com has the service manual and wiring schematic, if you don't already have one.

Please advise,
CBODY67

But why would one door turn one thing on and the other door turn on another thing...both switches are working....I think I got something crossed in the dash

Got it...sort of. Somehow I split the ground circuit into two. The ground connecting the map light to the drivers door isn't working. This explains the issue. I will track down where I split it and correct it. The domes and map should come on together with both doors then.

well...damn...m2a is fine...traces back to the dimmer and the dimmer does activate the maplight....but it doesnt connect to the domes for some reason....have to track that line down I guess. It seems more related to the body harness connection and its connection to the dimmer...

Last edited:
fixed....turns out the body harness connector in the left kick panel had the yellow pin pushed out of the connector some. pulled it out, expanded the blade and it snapped into place...plugged it in and everything works as it should now. just took some exploring. Thanks CBODY67 for explaining how it was supposed to function.

Back