Interior work

timthomas

Reaction score
Updating a few items on tge interior of my ‘69 Newport convertible

New audio with touch screen in the dash. New speakers back and front (mounted under the dash)

Interior seating is out for updating and reupholster.

IMG_8462.jpeg

IMG_8460.jpeg

No had to cut them to put the speakers in.

I was torn about doing this but now that it’s done I am pretty pleased with how they turned out

The only place for a speaker in the back is top center back seat. This is a convertible. Behind the seat is the area where the top folds into.

The rear side panels work best, sound is fantastic. Using the speaker in the center seat as a base.

LOL, I knew you would get some **** for cutting those rear interior panels. Well, no turning back now. Enjoy your new sound system. Hopefully your new upholstery is close to oem and doesn’t include tufting and velvet.

Ashame, they look like they were nice panels. There are a lot of options besides the cut-n-run.
Damage is done, I hope the sound is what you were looking for.

Love how they look. Love the sound. Love my car. Love my choice. Would do it this way again. Exactly what I wanted in my car.

Find a way to redeem yourself by sourcing out a second set of panels before they get crushed somewhere to apease the members on here who have nothing to do with your car. On the quiet.....they do stuff too but don't tell anyone....Ssssshhhhhht!
Best thing moving forward is to not mention butchering as it might hurt some feelings, just do what you want to do, it's your car.
Too many people get bent out of shape with stuff that has nothing to do with them!

Have a good day.

Yup. People have a right to their opinion it is good something’s are worth listening to but at the end of the day my car my rules.

Not building this to sell it. Building this because it was my dad’s car and want to enjoy it for as long as I can

FYI. I’m having fun fixing and working around some of the things he did
when dad owned it. He is no longer here to help but he is in my heart
Find a way to redeem yourself by sourcing out a second set of panels before they get crushed somewhere to apease the members on here who have nothing to do with your car. On the quiet.....they do stuff too but don't tell anyone....Ssssshhhhhht!
Best thing moving forward is to not mention butchering as it might hurt some feelings, just do what you want to do, it's your car.
Too many people get bent out of shape with stuff that has nothing to do with them!

Have a good day

There is a way to redeem yourself in the eyes of the purists who get upset over cutting the panels: paint the speaker grills to match. The greatest offense to the eyes is the glaring mismatch.

I took the sections I cut out to a paint shop and had them match the color, mix me up a pint of each, and painted the grills. When it was all said and done, one might be forgiven for cutting up a classic car if you can make it look like it came that way from the factory. The hardest part for me was to thin down the paint enough to spray fine enough to not glob up between the grill slots. This example took 4 thin coats (top AND bottom) to get full coverage to completely cover the black and not show.
IMG_20210625_131250484.jpg

IMG_20210625_131850973.jpg

Last edited:

Ashame, they look like they were nice panels. There are a lot of options besides the cut-n-run.
Damage is done, I hope the sound is what you were looking for.
I used those floor speakers in my wagon. No cuts no muss, if someone sits in back I slide under seat. The speakers mostly ride on rear floor.

IMG_3582.JPG
Box speakers on the rear deck using small toggle bolts not to damage the package tray and two othe box speakers under the front bench seat. Easily done and can be put back the way it was.

The black is by design. The convertible is black the flooring and dash are black. The rings on the window handles are black.

Offset agains the off white seating and panels represents the look I am after.

As far as redeeming in the eyes of the purist. Well. No. They have the choice to not follow or not look no mater how tempted they will be. lol

The black is by design. The convertible is black the flooring and dash are black. The rings on the window handles are black.

Offset agains the off white seating and panels represents the look I am after.

As far as redeeming in the eyes of the purist. Well. No. They have the choice to not follow or not look no mater how tempted they will be. lol
Screw the purists! They are never satisfied.

Not a lot of good places to put speakers in a 69 Newport convertible. And the acoustics are as bad as it gets in a car.

Putting speakers under the front or even under the back seat would work for the base. Seeing as how low base is none directional
But that don't work well for the mids, and certainly not for the highly directional highs, at all.
And even the rear side panels provide marginal results for the mids and less results for the highs.

So, let's go the tried-and-true method of sticking some nice combos in the dash and bounce it off the front windshield for mids and highs, right? Well, no, not without a lot of rigmarole and parts/panels/grills that we don't have handy anymore.

And now ........wait for it......we're back to taking a harder look at those sacred rear side panels. Since we're fresh out of other working options and the rear side panels are the only place left to get some decent tunes from.

Unless we stuff some nice, angled speaker enclosures with premium combos and affix them to the front lower side kick panes by way of going through the vent slots and aim them straight into our ears.

Not a lot of good places to put speakers in a 69 Newport convertible. And the acoustics are as bad as it gets in a car.

Putting speakers under the front or even under the back seat would work for the base. Seeing as how low base is none directional
But that don't work well for the mids, and certainly not for the highly directional highs, at all.
And even the rear side panels provide marginal results for the mids and less results for the highs.

So, let's go the tried-and-true method of sticking some nice combos in the dash and bounce it off the front windshield for mids and highs, right? Well, no, not without a lot of rigmarole and parts/panels/grills that we don't have handy anymore.

And now ........wait for it......we're back to taking a harder look at those sacred rear side panels. Since we're fresh out of other working options and the rear side panels are the only place left to get some decent tunes from.

Unless we stuff some nice, angled speaker enclosures with premium combos and affix them to the front lower side kick panes by way of going through the vent slots and aim them straight into our ears.
Spot on analysis. I went thru the same thought process. Side panels are where they were put in the old days it was the only logical location.

Did it all done the sound is great but no seats yet. Once the seats are back installed will see how it sounds then.

I’m pretty pleased with how they look

Thanks for your post

Back