Is anyone else depressed looking at new vehicles?

Northcoast300h

Reaction score
Maybe its just me? I've been looking for a new car. I feel new cars are more dangerous (due to all the distractions built in), more work to operate and makes everyone's life slower. I know modern cars have much better suspensions, frames, rust prevention so that great, but todays goofy "sporty" trend cost more to repair, less comfortable and are heavier.

Plus, why do I have to take my eyes off the road, look at a tiny screen, then scroll thru screens just to adjust the air direction out of the ac/heater ducts? What idiot thought that's progress? Dials and switches are much quicker and safer, but all cars are going to slow and unsafe digital.

Jay Leno said he's glad to see engineers instead of bean counters managing car companies, but that's incorrect. Nerds are now controlling companies...and as you can see, that's not good. Nerds have an odd introverted way of looking at life. Nerds don't think consequences and they rely on computers to tell them what to do and feel. They invent things without R/D and just hope for the best. No customer service, no complaint department....everything fake AI.

I just want to find a new car like my 1970 Chrysler where I can adjust everything without taking my eyes off the road. Where I can shut doors and trunk by hand, without it being electric. (I hit the button to close the trunk, get in, start the car, then have to get out again because it didn't latch properly)

I can go on but I think new cars are sad and ridiculous. Is it just me?

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 22-48-49 2024 chrysler 300 interior - Google Search.png

Last edited:
As a Design Engineer and self-proclaimed nerd, I am offended by your mis-characterization of nerds. Complain about new cars all you want, but everything in your third paragraph is wrong.

Was looking at new dodge diesel’s.
Find the colors VERY BOOOOORING

Was asking salesman if I could get some of the optional challenger colors on 3500s,5500s
Answer was NO
I asked what about code 999 special order paint?
Answer was what???
Manual trans trans no longer available?????

A lot of things need to change before I would start looking at new cars. The list of issues is way too long.
Starting with prices being way out of line but worse than that are the down the road woes. I was standing in line last week at an O'reillys Auto Parts when the guy at the counter told a customer looking for parts for his Chevy Suburban that the have not been able to get parts for anything newer than a 2010. I was glad my newest is a 2005. My neighbor works at a dealership and told me that there are lots full of new Ford trucks and Chevies that are waiting for chips that are sitting on some ship from China waiting to be delivered. Now if your one year old car breaks down, it could be months before repair parts come in. God forbid you hit a deer and break a headlight.
I'll stick with my old stuff til I can't make em go.

Hi folks, well I agree on some of the points made. There are way to many distractions in the new vehicles, and the cost of the new vehicles is crazy, not to mention replacement parts!
Being Canadian, we really pay thru the nose. What happened to Free Trade being a two way street. I own a number of 60's Chrysler's, but I wouldn't want to have to drive them in a Canadian Winter. That said, I drove them year round in my younger days! My newest car is a 1997 Chrysler, which has served me well. Still no comparison to the latest gadget loaded vehicles!

Was looking at new dodge diesel’s.
Just by chance I drove a new one for about 200 miles a few weeks ago. It was only the base model 3500, but I enjoyed the controls much more in this one than the full load truck. Heater controls were so much better as knobs instead of touch screen...

IMG_20231108_114653169_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231108_173050122.jpg

Starting either next model year or the next, cars have to be equipped with remote disable mechanism. As in the gov't can remotely disable the vehicle. This was added supposedly to combat DUI.

Meanwhile, none of my cars make any sound at all if I don't have the seatbelt buckled (that started after '04).

Last new vehicle I looked at is my wife’s Bronco. Actually a 2021. It’s a near base model and has minimal bells and whistles. Perfect!

As a Design Engineer and self-proclaimed nerd, I am offended by your mis-characterization of nerds. Complain about new cars all you want, but everything in your third paragraph is wrong.
I'm a big fan of the world's greatest nerd Elon Musk. You are therefore in very good company. However, nerds have been known to get carried away with over engineering. Case in point LH threaded lug nuts.

everything fake AI

what is AI? had to google it. artificial intelligence. but what is it? isn't it something that has been around along as we had computers if so why all the talk about it now? every thing ai. youtube commercials, adds, news.

I can go on but I think new cars are sad and ridiculous. Is it just me?

could not agree with you more. i hope nothing happens to my 2016 accord. would hate to go to a 18 or newer. do not was a smaller engine with a turbo. how are those going to last? big screen in the dash i would have no idea what to do there. my clock is always on DST. no getting the owners manual out to rest it twice a year. like being in one of my older cars i just flip my phone open if i want to know the time while sitting at a stop sign or red light. i took my sisters volvo to get gas in it last winter. cold there and back to no idea how to get the heater to work. with all these big screens in the dash looking at that will make you a distracted driver.

Maybe its just me? I've been looking for a new car. I feel new cars are more dangerous (due to all the distractions built in), more work to operate and makes everyone's life slower.

I'll let you know in due time. In about three months I get to change from a 2004 to a 2024 model. That will be quite a shock!

I'm a big fan of the world's greatest nerd Elon Musk. You are therefore in very good company. However, nerds have been known to get carried away with over engineering. Case in point LH threaded lug nuts.
I agree with you regarding engineers getting carried away with designing.
I worked with many who always wanted to ‘improve’ their design. However, the product had to go to production.

I like what Musk is doing. Although, the product isn’t ready for me yet.

I worked for Hughes Aircraft Company and absolutely loved it! Lots of brilliant people.

However , we had a flier that we’d pass around to an engineer who deserved it.

It was a ‘dirty’ picture of Clint Eastwood, playing Dirty Harry, pointing his 44 Magnum and the phrase ‘Go ahead, make one more change’ on it in bold text.

I don’t know what happened to that flier.

Something like this:

IMG_8659.jpeg

As a DD Ive considered finding a late 90s early 2000 model anything with the right blend of manual vs computer functions with a popular(available) drivetrain that you still can get replacement parts for. Buy a tired version with good interior and start replacing everything. Think 2000 Caddy STS/SLS 1 owner for 5K and add built 4.6 engine . Or anything with 3800. When I see what looks like a perfect late 90s car get auctioned for 10K it makes me really question the need to spend 50K on something that opens my rear trunk too slowly and the touchscreen radio by itself chooses AM when its cold.

Just by chance I drove a new one for about 200 miles a few weeks ago. It was only the base model 3500, but I enjoyed the controls much more in this one than the full load truck. Heater controls were so much better as knobs instead of touch screen...

View attachment 630115

I prefer the old but something about a new one I couldn't resist. Older trucks are great but for daily transportation or work you gotta have a new(er) one. I already know the electronics will likely fail before its paid off.
20231111_114050.jpg
20231111_114025.jpg

As a DD Ive considered finding a late 90s early 2000 model anything with the right blend of manual vs computer functions with a popular(available) drivetrain that you still can get replacement parts for. Buy a tired version with good interior and start replacing everything. Think 2000 Caddy STS/SLS 1 owner for 5K and add built 4.6 engine . Or anything with 3800. When I see what looks like a perfect late 90s car get auctioned for 10K it makes me really question the need to spend 50K on something that opens my rear trunk too slowly and the touchscreen radio by itself chooses AM when its cold.
I have 3 F-250s, a 2001, 2002 and a 2003, the last two have 7.3 turbo diesels. The 2001 is a 5.4 gasser 2WD. All of the others are 4WD. I also have a good 4WD drivetrain from a 2000 with a 7.3. Parts, original and good aftermarket are widely available as many hundreds of thousands were made.
I suspect that the trucks will be around well after I am dust.

a modern car to me is a device I use every day. Not attached to any emotions. It´s main purpose is to bring me from A to B in the most reliable way.. Number 1 priority is reliability, no. 2 reliability and no. 3 reliability. After that comes a reasonable price. I don´t want to pay 6 figures because I don´t want to care about scratches, dings that accumulate from daily usage. I don´t want a 500hp performance monster that if it fails sits in the shop for 2 weeks because that super duper high performance part is hard to come by and costs me at least a grand. Some amenities are not debatable like a/c, cruise, a proper sound system with bluetooth but that´s it. The fancier it gets the earlier it breaks. I looked at the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer. screens all over the place, nobody can convince me that car still works with all its features in 10 years from now.

When I want to drive, enjoy it from the moment stepping out the door, looking at the car, starting it up, driving it then I use my classic car that turns heads and makes people smile when passing by

This week, I just spent 2,400 bucks rebuilding the transmission in my 91k mile, 06 F-150 (I purchased new) that's currently worth $2,500 bucks.
Duplicating my 25-hundred dollar truck (my DD, btw) is now $40k.

Was I smart or stupid?

edited_20231016_105502.jpg

2023FOT110068_640_03.png

This week, I just spent 2,400 bucks rebuilding the transmission in my 91k mile, 06 F-150 (I purchased new) that's currently worth $2,500 bucks.
Duplicating my 25-hundred dollar truck (my DD, btw) is now $40k.

Was I smart or stupid?

View attachment 630269

View attachment 630270
Smart, you are.

That’s what I remind myself of when I look at new trucks. A 3/4 ton 4wd diesel truck, with a decent amount of creature comforts would push 75k, and the insurance and registration would be higher, plus the engine would also require DEF. No thank you.

Back