New Yorker or Newport CH23

Mohawkmike

Reaction score
Just made a strange discovery, I thought I had a 1966 Chrysler New Yorker but after decoding the vin and trim tag it seems that maybe at some point my New Yorker may have started out life as a Newport according to what I have found the NY was CH42 but has CH23 also looks like the car was special ordered kind of puzzled if the factory made the Newport into a New Yorker or did someone at sometime changed the Newport into a NYr also has u1 code sold car (special order) everything on the fender tag matches what the car has for options any thoughts

CH is a New Yorker. CM is a 300 and CL is a Newport.

From the parts manual available at MyMopar Pages INF-8 & 9

1704838991827.png

1704838957759.png

...also looks like the car was special ordered ........also has u1 code sold car (special order) everything on the fender tag matches what the car has for options any thoughts
U/1 means someone sat down with an order sheet and checked the boxes for how they wanted the car equipped. It means 'ordered' not 'special ordered'.

"Special ordered" means "I checked the boxes but now I want something not on the sheet' like a non standard color or interior.

CH23 would be a 2-dr hardtop, with CH42 being a 4-door 6-Window sedan. Both NYers. In '66, Newports would be "CL". The Newport 6-Window Town Sedan was the pre-cursor of the '67 Newport Custom, as it had its own unique seat trim, it seems to me.

A car not ordered specifically for dealership "lot stock", would be "Special Ordered". Just like for parts from Chrysler's parts organization.

CBODY67

Special ordered is an overused term. These special ordered cars were just ordered by the customer.

When did Newports change to CE?
Newports in 1966 were "Chrysler Low". With the introduction of the Newport Custom model in 1967, the Newports became "Chrysler Economy" and the Newport Custom became "Chrysler Low". 300s maintained as "Chrysler Medium" and NYers maintaining "Chrysler High". As defined in the Chrysler FSM and parts books.

In the dealership world, the vehicle inventory manager orders vehicles to put on the lot for walk-up customers to buy, if they want to. This is what I term "lot stock". Should the customer want something not on the lot or not "in route" as stock, the desired vehicle would be "special ordered" for the customer from the factory. Whether or not a deposit was put down for the dealer to order the vehicle, that was their determination.

Should the desired vehicle, or one substantially like the desired vehicle, be found at another dealership, then a "dealer trade" might be orchestrated where one dealer swaps a vehicle to the other dealer in order to get the desired vehicle without waiting for it to be built. End result is the sale is made.

That's the "dealership world" I spent 46.5 years in. That's the way it is done in Texas and the states bordering it. The system makes sense. My apologies if that does not align with other parts of the nation. At least in pre-pandemic times and with USA produced vehicles.

I learned in the later 1970s that import brand dealerships had little control over what vehicles they received to sell. The "factory" decided what they would build and send to the dealers. The dealers could determine what vehicles were "in transit" to them, if the customer wanted something different than what was on the lot. This tends to explain why so many import-brand vehicles are mostly the same, other than color. In some cases, they could dealer-trade with other area dealerships.

In the case of Toyota, which has regional presences at "Ports of Entry", Gulf States Toyota for Texas, a dealer could see what was down there and place an order for the particular vehicle. They could also add things like different wheels to the vehicles, NONE of which would be reflected in the vehicle VIN decode.

Regards,
CBODY67

In the dealership world, the vehicle inventory manager orders vehicles to put on the lot for walk-up customers to buy, if they want to. This is what I term "lot stock". Should the customer want something not on the lot or not "in route" as stock, the desired vehicle would be "special ordered" for the customer from the factory. Whether or not a deposit was put down for the dealer to order the vehicle, that was their determination.

Should the desired vehicle, or one substantially like the desired vehicle, be found at another dealership, then a "dealer trade" might be orchestrated where one dealer swaps a vehicle to the other dealer in order to get the desired vehicle without waiting for it to be built. End result is the sale is made.

That's the "dealership world" I spent 46.5 years in. That's the way it is done in Texas and the states bordering it. The system makes sense. My apologies if that does not align with other parts of the nation. At least in pre-pandemic times and with USA produced vehicles.

I learned in the later 1970s that import brand dealerships had little control over what vehicles they received to sell. The "factory" decided what they would build and send to the dealers. The dealers could determine what vehicles were "in transit" to them, if the customer wanted something different than what was on the lot. This tends to explain why so many import-brand vehicles are mostly the same, other than color. In some cases, they could dealer-trade with other area dealerships.

In the case of Toyota, which has regional presences at "Ports of Entry", Gulf States Toyota for Texas, a dealer could see what was down there and place an order for the particular vehicle. They could also add things like different wheels to the vehicles, NONE of which would be reflected in the vehicle VIN decode.

Regards,
CBODY67
Great explanation. If you want a rice burner, you get what they build, if you want a real car you can get what you want, with no compromises.

Regards,
CBODY67
In 2000, I knew a guy that wanted a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 4WD with a 5-speed stick. The dealers in the Omaha area didn’t have any, so one of them did a swap with a Kansas City dealer. Just an exchange of vehicles of equal value.

Back