Is my 14yo daughter crazy?? Should I be worried ?? :)

20x16 basement layout here but the kids never had an interest. Three rail postwar, prewar and standard gauge, no tiny trains here!

View attachment 121556
That's not a toy train, now THIS is a toy train...

DSCF2264.JPG

My daughters (14 and 16) are the same way....they love the smell of my garage. I changed out some nasty gear oil recently, smelled horrible, but both walked through the garage when they came home with Mom and took a deep breath and claimed they loved that smell. They are not into helping much on the old vehicles, but there is still time....:)

That's awesome ! Nice NY'er too btw! I had a 68 300...loved that car.
Thanks!

That is great, it is cool seeing the new generations getting into old cars.

A great story here about a young girl that wanted to purchase a Fierro at 12 and have it restored by the time she turned 16.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero

No kids of my own but with 7 nieces and nephews I figured I have at least one, number 3 wanted to help from the point she could speak, my Barracuda shell was stored in their garage and she wanted to help put the steering wheel in, the seats, the things a very young child could relate to. When she was 10 I was in full swing on the restoration, that summer she spent every other weekend helping with one thing or another.

Now in the Marines she still calls this car hers.

Alan

Will this young lady be the next caretaker of your family heirloom since you have no children of your own?

Will this young lady be the next caretaker of your family heirloom since you have no children of your own?

Yes, that has been made quite clear to all my family, this was my Grandparents car and my brothers and sister said it can't be sold. She will have to wait till I'm done with it and she is no longer active duty with the Marines.

Alan

My daughters (14 and 16) are the same way....they love the smell of my garage. I changed out some nasty gear oil recently, smelled horrible, but both walked through the garage when they came home with Mom and took a deep breath and claimed they loved that smell. They are not into helping much on the old vehicles, but there is still time....:)
Bring them over to the dark side :) Literally...get them under the car for an oil change and get 'em dirty.

I'm always open to tipson building ideas. The previous home owner turned the pole barn into am office -type setting... drop ceilings, drywall, hvac, bathroom, kitchen. My wife threatens to have me live in the pole barn if i buy any more cars. I said no problem the kids want to move out there with me too. Lol
:rofl:
Your kitchen counter tops are 24" deep, 'bout where you'd want the depth of your work bench I'd think? If you take a 2"X4"X8' long stud and multiply the 1+3/4" thickness of each X 16 you come up with the magic # and same depth as your kitchen counter top That's 92" long. I build 3 legs using an apple boxes for measuring the height X2 + ah little bit extra for the thickness of the under shelf from the floor and from the top of the shelf to the under side of the work Bench + ah littl bit so you're not having to jam all those boxes into your just built storage area. Are you starting to get some ideas here? Theirz ah bit more to building the 3 legs and anchoring the work bench to the wall but what I've said might start your wheels turning. Should I start ah new thread for this little project? Jer

I wonder what FCA will look like when these kids start driving. I feel the best days are behind Ma Mopar. An appreciation of our old cars by the kids is great to hear.

I wonder what FCA will look like when these kids start driving. I feel the best days are behind Ma Mopar. An appreciation of our old cars by the kids is great to hear.

You can do your part by never using that stupid acronym. I never used the last stupid name either.

LOL, leave it to Wollfen to just top the "You Suck" list in ever category! Too small for narrow gauge, is that from an amusement park?
Believe it or not it was tucked away in an old run down barn in a salvage yard. The woman in the pic, Barbara got over $30K for it. Anyone wants more pics let me know, I can post them.

Believe it or not it was tucked away in an old run down barn in a salvage yard. The woman in the pic, Barbara got over $30K for it. Anyone wants more pics let me know, I can post them.
Yes more pix of the minarure steam train. That thing is cool.

desotocrazy, When my wife went for her drivers test(way back when) the instructor said"Wow,you are driving a stick instead of a automatic." Her reply was "What's a automatic ?"
Both of our girls drive stick cars. We wanted the girls to be able to drive anything in any situation.

Good job getting your daughter interested in cars.

I believe all women should have some level of automotive knowledge.

LOL...that's great! My daughter goes to car shows with me and looks for the red/yellow/blue boxes and pn's of 1330xxx and below. LOL that's dedication.
I have a 69 barracuda notchback half stripped shell i am slowly aquiring pieces for to make it rebuildable. Its his if he wants it when he gets older. He will have to put sweat equity and some money into it, with my help of course. I have all the exterior sheetmetal back on it, and little by little am filling it with boxes of needed things. Will be upgrading to BBP discs off a diplomat, and a rear disc brake ford exploder sport trak 8.8 rear end. I have a nice little 318 for it. Need to find a trans. But thats not a hurry. It will be pretty cool for him to drive to high school.

Back