Is my fuel line too close to the block? The fuel line is getting hot.

thood1954

Reaction score
My fuel line in the front where it curves is about 3/8" from the block. I can lift it up a little more,getting about 3/4" of distance. I have also installed a 1/2" spacer. This wasn't an issue until today when I was running errands and it was 85 degrees. Water temp was normal. After I would park,fuel filter was empty. Took much cranking to fill it and restart. I'm thinking new fuel pump,which I have, and raise fuel line to get that 3/4" distance. The rest of the line looks like its where its supposed to be. 318 w/600 cfm Eldy.

HPIM5818.jpg

HPIM5819.jpg

HPIM5820.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that is a critical spot for heat. I would only worry if it rubbed or rattled. My Dodge Ram (318) is exactly the same and I haven't had any issues.

That is the normal routing for the fuel line.
Keep in mind that modern gas boils at a lower temp.

Alan

fuel will perculate and give you fuel filter type symptoms..bin der done dat..keep away from heat

So Alan, Do you think there's a solution, or just put up with it?

Two things, an insulator/shield under the carburator and blockoff the heat riser on the manifold.

The carb can be built/modified to handle the modern gas better but that is not arena.

Alan

Blocking off heat rising will make starting in the dead of winter tad harder, but if you store it during that season it doesn't really matter.

Blocking off heat rising will make starting in the dead of winter tad harder, but if you store it during that season it doesn't really matter.

Or live in SoCal, I'm sometimes forget that little detail.

Starting usually isn't the problem it is keeping it running till it warms up. I sometimes need to sit and play the throttle till I feel it is ready to roll.

Alan

My fuel line in the front where it curves is about 3/8" from the block. I can lift it up a little more,getting about 3/4" of distance. I have also installed a 1/2" spacer. This wasn't an issue until today when I was running errands and it was 85 degrees. Water temp was normal. After I would park,fuel filter was empty. Took much cranking to fill it and restart. I'm thinking new fuel pump,which I have, and raise fuel line to get that 3/4" distance. The rest of the line looks like its where its supposed to be. 318 w/600 cfm Eldy.

I'd be more concerned if the line was that close to the exhaust manifold, but if you believe that this is the problem area, you could try bending the line upward slightly by hand. It shouldn't break the line if you are only trying to get another 1/2" to 3/4" clearance.

Only downside I can see is that you may have to remove the alternator to get room to work. :(

:)

Adding a couple of wooden clothes pins would work plus give that old school fix look too!

Or live in SoCal, I'm sometimes forget that little detail.

Starting usually isn't the problem it is keeping it running till it warms up. I sometimes need to sit and play the throttle till I feel it is ready to roll.

Alan
Yeah the starter would spin it with no problem. But in the dead of winter at 4am and its 5 degrees outside if it caught it would cough a few times and pass out. I would massage the throttle a bit while sitting there also, until I was confident enough it would not pass out again. Cold cold weather is a *****.

Replaced fuel pump,inspected all of fuel lines. No issues except where I mentioned in the front. I did get it to raise a little bit by using a zip tie. It raised the fuel filter a bit too. Will test drive later tonite when it cools off slightly,its 90 degrees out at least.

Never thought of that one. I might have to try that!

If you block of the heat crossover it will reduce on discoloration or burning off the intake paint that normally happens due to the hot exhaust gasses running through there too and make the paint more evenly discolored on the intake if you paint it.

Also if you click 'reply with quote' it will be easier to tell who you are responding to if it's not the post immediately above yours :)

Test drive went well, the heat sink issue is still there but at lest the filter was not empty. Had to crank a little bit to restart but not nearly as much as before.

Back