Is there a source for a can of aerosol spray paint with correct paint (1967 Forest green metalic) ?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I' going to need a can of matching paint for my '67 Monaco, not sure exactly what the paint code is but it's the dark green metalic. Would be great if it was in an aerosol spray can, ready to use. Does such a product exist?

I think some Carquest locations can mix paint. Sherwin Williams Automotive does aerosol but it’s expensive as hell.

best to go to an auto paint supply shop and get them to scan your car's body, get a formula and they will mixup a spray can of it.
its the only way to match your 56 yr old paint, ive been very happy with the matching.
here in victoria it costs about $35

Last edited:
PreVal makes a DIY aerosol paint item. A small glass jar onto which an aerosol spray unit crews onto. Works well.

If you ordered some paint from TCP Global, factory formula, it would NOT match your aged paint, even if your paint does not appear faded. Which makes the suggestion of a computer-scanned SINGLE-STAGE acrylic enamel very accurate.

Remember, too, that you will need to do some surface prep on the area. If you are just wanting to do touch-up on rock chips, an artists' camel-hair small brush can work much better than a spray can.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I' going to need a can of matching paint for my '67 Monaco, not sure exactly what the paint code is but it's the dark green metalic. Would be great if it was in an aerosol spray can, ready to use. Does such a product exist?
I picked up some from this place for a few accessory parts and the color matched almost perfectly! Its expensive but a whole different ball game than the stuff you get in the auto parts stores.

TouchUpDirect | Buy Auto Body Touch Up Paint Online

PreVal makes a DIY aerosol paint item. A small glass jar onto which an aerosol spray unit crews onto. Works well.

If you ordered some paint from TCP Global, factory formula, it would NOT match your aged paint, even if your paint does not appear faded. Which makes the suggestion of a computer-scanned SINGLE-STAGE acrylic enamel very accurate.

Remember, too, that you will need to do some surface prep on the area. If you are just wanting to do touch-up on rock chips, an artists' camel-hair small brush can work much better than a spray can.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I find it interesting that you mention TCP Global......in terms of matching the factory original color for a restoration project do you believe they have the best capability to duplicate the original paint colors (this is the opposite question being asked here where he is trying to match his aged old original paint). In looking at various website claims of various paint manufacturers I find that they (TCP Global) seem to have the best capability to match the factory original colors. I even called them up to discuss this and it seems they even have the fine metallics that really don't seem to exist anymore with anyone else I talked with, but they said they can match the fine metallics. I will be repainting a 1971 Chrysler 300 in GJ4 green and they assured me they could match it perfectly as new. I would want the single stage acrylic urethane paint to best duplicate the original. Just curious about your thoughts (but didn't want to derail this thread either). Maybe it would be better if you could just PM me. Thanks!

I'm going to be swapping in a tilt steering column. I need to paint the part of the column behind where the steering wheel mounts (not sure what that's called). It's currently painted black.

The car was repainted in 1987, probably a single-stage urethane. When the car came back, my dad was immediately not impressed - he says they got the color wrong (a little to dark). I also repainted the dash (the metal part) and I think I got the color right, but the car is now in storage and it's not coming out probably until May or June. monaco-paint.jpgmonaco-color.jpgtilt-steer.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to be swapping in a tilt steering column. I need to paint the part of the column behind where the steering wheel mounts (not sure what that's called). It's currently painted black.

The car was repainted in 1987, probably a single-stage urethane. When the car came back, my dad was immediately not impressed - he says they got the color wrong (a little to dark). I also repainted the dash (the metal part) and I think I got the color right, but the car is now in storage and it's not coming out probably until May or June.View attachment 573647View attachment 573648View attachment 573649
That job shouldn't be as critical for colour match new vs 35 years old for a couple of reasons. The steering column doesn't get anything close to the Uv exposure the the exterior does so it whould have very little fading from original. There isn't much around it the same exact colour to give it away unlike a hood or a quarter panel where even a slight difference sticks out like a sore ***.

If that's a matt finish, Mancini used to have the genuine Mopar paint for the metal dash panels but that was a while ago. Green being a less popular colour for the E, B and A body crowd, they might still have some left. An auto paint vendor can flatten paint but the texture won't be quite the same. Only a worry if you plan on showing at Pebble Beach tho. Lol.

Kevin

Try ABC Moparts, Kingman, AZ.

Yea - another problem is that, since I'm in North Korea (also known as Canada), shipping aerosol spray cans is going to be a problem.

best to go to an auto paint supply shop and get them to scan your car's body, get a formula and they will mixup a spray can of it.
its the only way to match your 56 yr old paint, ive been very happy with the matching.
here in victoria it costs about $35
I went to a auto body paint supply shop . They were able to give me a spray can and a little bottle of touch up paint

i was able to get the suede finish interior paint to do my dash and column from 8774paint1 in aerosol cans...very happy

Yea - another problem is that, since I'm in North Korea (also known as Canada), shipping aerosol spray cans is going to be a problem.
I live in Canada as well , not far from Edmonton. There is a NAPA here that handles body work and paint supplies. They make spray cans of automotive paint and have made me several spray cans for my car with great end results. I had my paint formula handy , it took them about 40 minutes to make me up a couple spray bombs $30 a can .

if you want paint to match the existing paint you need to get the paint in the area you want to match scanned and custom mixed up. the scanner generates a formual. ordering a can based on a 56 yr old formula is not the best way to go especially when there were variations in paint batches

I was painting the door surrounds and engine area (71 Challenger, engine out and doors off) just today with B5 blue mixed at a local auto paint supplier. Cost was about $30 a can for matching spray paint. Returning the car to B5 from POs Plum Crazy.

Napa or Carquest has paint mixing services.
Not sure? Ask a few body shops who they use.
The fender tag has the paint code they can use it to start or scan a paint chip.

The exterior column shell or housing, can it be taken off easily? That would be ideal to take to a store or shop for a paint color reading.

Ok, so there's a bearing housing and a gear-shift housing. On the current non-tilt column, the bearing housing is short and the gear-shift housing is longer, about twice as long. On the tilt colum, the corresponding bearing housing is very long, the gearshift housing seems to be the same length. I'm wondering how the heck this tilt steering fits, it would seem that the extra length of the bearing housing would put the steering wheel a good 6 inches closer to the driver. ???

All that aside, there is also a trim finish plate under the column that should also be painted the same color so that's easy to take off to get a color scan for.

Last edited:
Steering column is usually a suede texture.
Call Chas or go online to 8774paint1. Number and website (877-472-4681).
MOPAR Automotive Restoration Paint He is very familiar with the Mopar interior and trim colors. Will mix in an aerosol or pint/quart. He was very helpful in getting the original Aztec Maroon Suede for my lower dashboard, ashtray cover and steering column.
I believe the color and different codes are towards the back of the service manual.
(They are in the’68 manual)

Back