Its home

barnfind

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
What a week! All company drivers got their walking notice with oil prices in the toilet. So what better thing to do than go car hunting. It was purchased by an older gentleman and was stored for 34 years (real barnfind) in a barn w concrete floor in southern ND. The daughter inherited it, but didn't want the car. Orig California black plate car Its the cleanest example of an unmolested 50's car I've ever found. Orig paint, upholstery, glass. inline flathead 6 w 3 spd manual. The engine now spins by hand, and I found most of the original interior in the trunk. Some minor pitting and small holes in the pass side of the trunk pan (where the mouse was). I couldn't be happier with this car. The 58 has now become a donor. And am wrapping up the 54 mechanics so it can go into storage and the 59 can be tucked away for winter.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Damn, what a great find, congratulations. How did you find it if you don't mind me asking?

More importantly, sorry about your being laid off.
The remaining work is going to $0.30/mi. O/O's I would imagine...

Very kool, I'm excited for you!

Awesome! Are you gonna do a full/partial resto, or enjoy it as is? (Once it is running, of course). Very nice car!

I think I hate you....that car is awesome. you might want to pick up the new edition of Classic car Mag.

$_1.jpg

$_1.jpg

Nice find and dammit I wish I could get laid off for a while and go car hunting but she, the boss usually just jabs me in the ribs and tells me to go to work.

Awesome! Are you gonna do a full/partial resto, or enjoy it as is? (Once it is running, of course). Very nice car!

For now its just getting it mechanically sound, cleaning up the trunk, finding the missing parts, reassemble the interior, and enjoy as is. I've got enough scattered out cars to last awhile. Thanks everyone!

More importantly, sorry about your being laid off.
The remaining work is going to $0.30/mi. O/O's I would imagine...

Yes, just O/Os are the few out running now. Many are turning in their trucks as they cant make payments with the slow work, and are not allowed to haul anything other than oil. Things are getting tough!

How come nothing other than oil, can't they grab a different trailer and go on road or something? Just asking.

Very specifically stated in the contract, I've read and re-read it as I wanted to go this direction, but wanted to see the actual workloads and make sure I could get thru those rough first few months. Glad I didn't!

Damn, what a great find, congratulations. How did you find it if you don't mind me asking?

I missed this car by 50 minutes a week ago, went to look at a 60 they had (it needed alot). A fellow barnfind-er acquired it and I picked it up from him.

So they are lease to own? Through the company no doubt.

Yes, lease to own thru the company Dave. There are a few leasers that run their own power units, they sign a contract similar as well. Most smaller independents are run off by the oil companies, their way or the hwy, bigger companies are not immune either.

Nice ride!

Pulled the front seat and cleaned up the floors, they look good. Got spark and fuel to the flathead, no fire, so I look at the odomenter and it shows 104,000 minimum. Compression at 20lbs, 25 lbs on the first 2 holes, so off comes the head not much ridge at all but the cylinder walls have a polished look. Everything moving as it should, so a bit of studying on what to do next. 1. rebuild the 6. or 2. or upgrade to a poly 318 from the 58. Lots of goodies for both engines these days.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Back