Jakes 383 rebuild

Opinions please. My factory air cleaner does not fit with aftermarket carb and spacer and I am not a fan of the die cast mopar one. So I made one myself, dual snorkel look dumb or not? I will be painting it black.

20150715_144413.jpg 20150715_144455.jpg

20150715_144413.jpg

20150715_144455.jpg

looks awesome

careful, you might have to make more for others :)

are you going to hook up some cold air feeds to it? if not a flare on the openings will greatly improve the breathing on those pipes, what size tube are they?

600cfm edelbrock, I also left a 1/4 inch air gap around the entire bottom of the cleaner.

i know my single nose snorkel (stock one) chokes the hell out of the motor, and its just an OEM 2 barrel. i had to dial the carb way back, and tune it with the snorkel on.

cut a trap door in the base of that thing you made or something. but i think the craft of what you made is killer. id put bigger snouts on it - like 3" i guess, if those are 2.5" let it breathe

Correct, .025 down. With gasket .039 and 73.5cc heads, I should be running around 9.3 to 1.

I know I'm tuning in REALLY late here but thought I'd chime in anyway. Those look like KB162 pistons. I got those for my 383 build too. I'm about to smooth off all the sharp edges and then send them off to be coated. Machine shop will set mine at .005 down and I'll use a .030 Cometic gasket. With my 75cc Eddy heads I should end up with 10.01:1 compression. (I love my DynoSim.)

5/64, 5/64, 3/16 if I remember. I have it written down in the garage. Moly rings.

My engine builder really likes the Total Seal gapless rings so that's what I went with. For what they cost they'd better be good. I was a little disappointed when I opened the box though. No room for a hooker in there. LOL

Will teh break in damage the ceramic coating on the exhaust manifolds? I bought some headers and the packaging specifically stated to not install until break in has taken place.

I used a b-tank and a #32 tip and cooked it to around 900 degrees and let it cool, did it again to 1000 and let cool before I put them on the engine.

Long story short, stabil sucks and does not work. Had to suck out fuel tank and blow out feed line. Rebuilt carb and finally finished it last night. Got the motor fired off last night for about 30 seconds before I shut her down. Sounds good. Tranny pan is leaking so I fixed that tonight and let cure till tomorrow where I will do the initial break in. Hopefullly I will remember to get some video of the process and post. Wish me luck. Picture of old gas and new. I poured the old gas into the fire pit and lit it with a lighter, it lit like napalm jelly.
20150718_051801.jpg

20150718_051801.jpg

That's why I am selling my 15kw gasoline generator.
The gasoline storage issue has been too big a pain in the *** for too many years...

Yeah i have some premium in the fury that i have been using in the mower n chainsaw, its pushing 9 months old now, should dump it i suppose - damn car was meant to be on the road by now - stupid me for moving house and changing mind on motor lol

On the storage front - did you add the stabil before it sat or afterwards? I have heard good results from storing it with it in, the fuel tank in the car isnt exactly sealed either, so the "good stuff" gets to escape still....

Commando, the only real solution for long term storage in that situation is to continually use the fuel and replace it, ie fill 2x 44 gallon at the petrol station and fill your car at home, when one empties, move on to the other and fill the first one, pain in the butt and expensive to set up for a single home user though

Jake, how old was that fuel?
Added stabil and filled it up last fall and ran around town with it for about 40 minutes before putting her away. I double checked the amount of stabil and put the stabil in before I filled it to make sure it mixed good.

Yeah stabil is garbage. The fuel quality today is terrible. I've heard that star-tron marine grade is much better for fuel storage than stabil is.

Back