Just a thought, but a serious one

Im on the fence with it as well. Color looks great on the E body, but idk if I can see it on the formal. Everything would have to change color wise. I vote, buy a formal in a little worse shape, and do your color change to it as you “go through” it.

Stan is %100 correct in that it all snowballs fast as hell. The bluesmobile was in the garage getting “restored” for 5 years. It all started with just swapping in the 440...

Well this is apart, so might as well do that. While thats apart, might as well do this... it never ends lmao

I vote, buy a formal in a little worse shape, and do your color change to it as you “go through” it.

That makes sense as well. I should add another asterisk...

* no color changes on a car with salvageable original paint.

The paint on that Turquoise /Olive Green '68 Imperial is trashed. If it were decent, I wouldn't re-color it. Of course I wouldn't buy it either.

I wont require an engine removal. You can do a pretty decent job on the firewall once the hood is off. I wouldn't bother repainting under the carpet. There, now I haven't altered history.

Ultimately it's your car so do as you wish, but there is also the fact that a quality paint job is expensive- money not recovered should you sell the car unlike more popular vehicles.

A true color change would be like vodka's car, bare metal rebuild.

It's your car.....

Are you going to keep the car???

If you are....paint it the color that you like. I have completely changed colors on cars a few times. The question I get the most is.....what color is that??? I want to paint my car that color.

Only thing I have to add is don't let someone half *** paint the car for you and you're going to have to change the vinyl top color. White won't work. Interior will be fine.

I changed the color of only one car and can testify it is a lot of damned work. In my case, the particular car had several really bad paint jobs over it’s life all in aweful colors I didn’t like. I was doing a full resto on it and was taken completely apart, and I stayed in one of the originally available colors.

Here’s my honest opinion: save the work and expense and......

Buy a nice(r?) NYB in silver with a red interior and swap the interiors.

That way, it’s stock and..... unique.

The remaining (original) white with red interior will look great too!

Just sayin.

Looks clean and original, my vote is to keep it as is. Sounds like it might be time for a project car.

So! I have seriously been considering a total color change on my New Yorker. As you can see it’s original paint in Spinnacker white, View attachment 168511 but ever since I saw “Winchester Gray” on a Cuda I have been completely fascinated with that color. View attachment 168512 My interior is white with black carpet and obviously a white vinyl top all of which will stay.. but that Winchester gray really has me.. View attachment 168513 so I’m ready for your thoughts and all the stones to be cast my way. I have thick skin. So Thought?
why would you want to **** up a beautiful car like that? you are toying with us aren't you?

I am guy that doesn't like white cars, but you car looks so elegant in white. A vote to keep it white.

Your car your wallet.
Unless you are a body guy and have hours to sand and prep the big beast. Leave it be. There is no such thing as a $3,000 quality paint job on a car that big at least based on my recent experience. You have a lot of square footage to work with, It will take twice the amount of sanding and paint as a modern full size car.

Go for Persian White in Acrylic enamel
(Dupont Nason)

So! I have seriously been considering a total color change on my New Yorker. As you can see it’s original paint in Spinnacker white, View attachment 168511 but ever since I saw “Winchester Gray” on a Cuda I have been completely fascinated with that color. View attachment 168512 My interior is white with black carpet and obviously a white vinyl top all of which will stay.. but that Winchester gray really has me.. View attachment 168513 so I’m ready for your thoughts and all the stones to be cast my way. I have thick skin. So Thought?
I like that color family well enough... If it were me...

1- your car may still be just a bit too nice to fluckup with a color change... It is in my opinion.

2- I would go with a metallic platinum color... perhaps the one used on LHS's
17248935.jpg

This car would be a better (rougher) car to consider doing a color change to... IMO...
My formal for sale...
00j0j_1n6I5bg1Z5y_600x450.jpg
00j0j_6u4Y1jMb8vL_600x450.jpg

she may be a little too rough, but I have some sheet metal and I know a guy :confederateflag: near this who loves to repair rusty doglegs... :D
o.jpg

You’re a Badd man!! I wouldn’t want Stan getting mad at me..There has already been one! And there will only be one. Lol
BTW... there are 2... :realcrazy:

I would have a hard time doing a color change on it, it looks beautiful as is. Maybe another option is add an accent color on the sides. It wouldn't be as expensive and easily changed back down the road. Stan's NYB sure looks great that way

The problem is that damn Winchester Gray (more like a gunmetal blue) is just so damn nice. One of my favorite all time c's...

20170506_184514.jpg

I vote for Winchester gray, just paint it already.

Winchester Grey is a beautiful color . . . don't know what they did to it to make it look so unique - looks like maybe a hint of blue or turquoise . . . ??? If you have to have one in that color, I'd just find a 71 Fusie, and restore that . . . I love that NY in #36!

Back