65fury1

Reaction score
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG

I just drove down to NYC area and bought a 72 fury gran coupe. Car has never been bondoed and retains its original paint, has some rust in the quarters and small holes in bottom of fender. 70k original miles, car spent the last 12 years in a parking garage in NYC.

Very cool. I had one of those about 23 years ago as my daily driver & it was that same color. I always loved the hideaway lights. Have fun with it.

Jon, I guess I know why I didn't hear from you this weekend. Congrats. I used to own a '72 Fury wagon and had a friend who was very into the '72 Furys so I have some knowledge about them. I would recommend changing the timing chain and if the factory foam/Styrofoam is still between the quarter panels and the trunk floor extensions get that stuff out as it traps moisture. Good luck with the car. BTW, you should start a thread on the updates etc. that you have done on the '68 VIP as others may find it helpful and/or interesting.

Congrats. What a great find! 72's are awesome looking.
Your car probably didn't spend its entire life in NYC
or it wouldn't be in this kind of shape

Damn!! Right under my nose.. congrats. Greta score. Especially if it a NY raised car!! She looks great.

View attachment 141413 View attachment 141411 View attachment 141410 View attachment 141409 View attachment 141408 View attachment 141407
I just drove down to NYC area and bought a 72 fury gran coupe. Car has never been bondoed and retains its original paint, has some rust in the quarters and small holes in bottom of fender. 70k original miles, car spent the last 12 years in a parking garage in NYC.
Nice Fury!!!
I have a 72 Fury III Coupe - Glad to see others who admire the car.
Again Nice Car!!

Ken

Last edited:

I DECODE IT FOR YOU

PP23:

Plymouth Fury

Premium

2 Door Hardtop

K2F: Unknown

Newark, DE, USA

286182: Sequence number

E57: 360 cid 2 barrel V8 255hp

D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission

CY4: Gold Exterior Color

E4L3: Trim - Unknown, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Parchment

000: Full Door Panels

711: Build Date: July 11

531905: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black

U: USA Specifications

C31: 69 only Left & Right Head Restraints

H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

L42: Headlamp Time Delay

M25: Wide sill moldings

M26: Wheel Lip Moldings

M31: Belt Moldings

N23: Electronic Ignition System

N88: Auto Speed Control

R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)

V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black

Y16: Sales Bank

26: 26in Radiator

END: End of Sales Codes

IMG_0321.JPG
Transporters dropped the car off this afternoon from NY. Spent time looking over the car, floors frame and underneath are rock solid. Spent time cleaning the cobwebs out of the engine compartment, as car has not run since about 2004, prior to buying it we pored some gas down the carb throat and it fired right up for a quick second.

image.jpeg
Was able to do some work to the car this weekend, trying to get it to start after sitting for many years. Took each plug out and squirted a little mystery oil in each cylinder, changed the oil, primed the oil pump. Ran an auxiliary gas can to the fuel pump, fuel pump is still good,amazingly. But the car still would not fire up unless you dump gas down the throat of the carburetor. Ended up taking the carburetor off and disassembled it for a rebuild, the carb was all caked up with crusty old gas **** inside the bowl (see pic of the crusty ****), now it is soaking in cleaner until clean and then will rebuild Carburetor.

Back