Just when I thought I had the stalling issue fixed

theos911

Reaction score
73 Fury III Stock 318 w/Dual Packs & what appears to be pretty advanced timing

I finally have the fuel mixture/idle/choke all set up and it's been running better than ever. No stalling from the choke leaning too early, no raw gas smell from it choking too much, clear from cold to hot and top to bottom. Being 17 and this my first properly tuned engine - I was pretty proud of myself.

Fast Forward to today, a pretty balmy (hottest weather I've had it out in) day in Cleveland. I was heading out to one of the local shows.

- Go to the gas station and put in a couple gallons of premium.
- Go across town (highway) to the other gas station to get a car wash because the morons at the one close to me decided to shut down the whole carwash because they couldn't figure out how to print a ticket for it.
- Do some in-town driving to the show, mild 35mph, kick it into low on a hill, open the throttle nice and wide going back up the hill, nothing spectacular, nothing out of the ordinary
- Then it just abruptly stalls at a stoplight (had done fine at the earlier stoplights)
- Restart
- Stalls at the next stoplight (braked while in gear)
- Now I'm throwing it into neutral at the stoplights and dropping it into gear at a higher RPM

If it were only this I'd assume I need a pinch more low idle RPM, but the plot thickens! I get to the show and see only two people there (too cold for you last week, too hot this week... sheesh). Fine! I'll just go home, pick up my idle, and be done.

I get to the hill right before my house and open up the throttle and instead of a nice acceleration I get a bad stumbling, kinda like it was drowning (best way I can describe it), that gets worse the more throttle I give it.

tl;dr Very hot engine idle degrades drastically in gear (sounding kinda like something with a real radical cam) and quits, but will do ok with a little throttle, until you hit some higher RPMs and then it starts to stumble and die again.

So, any ideas? Coil maybe? It doesn't seem like fuel mix to me, but maybe you know something I don't.

Help?

Sounds like a needle and seat problem to me. You got some junk in there?Teflon tape, Needle hung wrong? Or to much fuel pressure. Is the tank vent open and clear?

Back