Kill Switch

Mudeblue

Reaction score
I would like to put a kill switch in my 65 SF which I am restoring. My thought is to have it operate by a hidden toggle switch. My question is should this be wired into the resistor on the firewall under the hood, the coil or other. I am also considering putting in GPS tracking system but have read mixed reviews on this; expensive and easily identified and removed. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks.

I would like to put a kill switch in my 65 SF which I am restoring. My thought is to have it operate by a hidden toggle switch. My question is should this be wired into the resistor on the firewall under the hood, the coil or other. I am also considering putting in GPS tracking system but have read mixed reviews on this; expensive and easily identified and removed. Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks.
I just take the rotor out of any car that I can't keep an eve on. How many punks carry a spare rotor in their pocket?

Dave

I would tie into the starter solenoid, or the power wire to the ignition switch.

I would tie into the starter solenoid, or the power wire to the ignition switch.
My GTO has that and if I forget to shut the kill switch off, it drains the battery overnight. Had it worked on and was told, hot rod shop, that is the nature of placing that type of switch on the solenoid?

Here's how your old car will be stolen....

1651539584530.png

Kill switches don't do much in the grand scheme of things. If pros want your car, it's gone... Amateur car thieves won't be too interested in your car for that kill switch to mean much and they won't know how to "hot wire" your car... and if they did know, they are going to bypass the ignition switch and any "kill switch" you've installed.

If you really think you need to do something for the amateurs, do some sort of gas line cut off solenoid. That way the car runs a little, gets abandoned somewhere, hopefully where there's too much attention and they bail out.

Here's how your old car will be stolen....

View attachment 529059

Kill switches don't do much in the grand scheme of things. If pros want your car, it's gone... Amateur car thieves won't be too interested in your car for that kill switch to mean much and they won't know how to "hot wire" your car... and if they did know, they are going to bypass the ignition switch and any "kill switch" you've installed.

If you really think you need to do something for the amateurs, do some sort of gas line cut off solenoid. That way the car runs a little, gets abandoned somewhere, hopefully where there's too much attention and they bail out.
My concern is when I am out and about. I recently bought a GTO and the owner said that there had been several cars of the last couple of years which were stolen at car shows. Tow trucks draw a lot of attention when out and about. Call it piece of mind as I am eating my burger. Thanks.

Google "Ravelco" and see what you think. Have to have the "key" to make the ignition work. Otherwise, a basic keyless entry/car alarm AND then remember to lock the car.

I'm with Big_John on this one. You can put a fuel line cut-off that stops the flow of gas. Motorcycle shops should have something that would work.

Is something like "the Club" still considered any type of visual theft deterrent for amateurs?

Is something like "the Club" still considered any type of visual theft deterrent for amateurs?
My fiance tells me the story about how she put one on her son's car when he was younger and he needed a lesson. He could never get the thing off.

The club comes off pretty easy... A hack saw or bolt cutters and it's off in seconds. The trick is to cut the steering wheel rather than the club.

Someone put a inline fuse in my Challenger long before I got it. It's a pain in the ***, because if it blows (very rare) it acts like ballast resistor went bad. I leave it just in case I get a wired feeling I can pull the fuse and the car will start and shut off, start and shut off drawing attention. Then I will have to deal with the busted steering column not finding the car.
So not 100%, but something.

Back