Late Model Drivetrain

dart4forte

Reaction score
Just curious but is there anyone with a late model drivetrain in their C body. I just saw on the Schumacker site that he sells an adapter motor mount for the 66 on C body to run a latemodel Hemi.

Stormer Ross put a new gen in his 66 Chrysler.

You have a link? Reason I ask is I have a line on a low mileage SRT Hemi along with tranny and computer. Be kinda cool to drop into my 300 Vert. Of course the mounting would have to be figured out

You have a link? Reason I ask is I have a line on a low mileage SRT Hemi along with tranny and computer. Be kinda cool to drop into my 300 Vert. Of course the mounting would have to be figured out
Sorry. I'd have to do a search which you could try yourself.
Actually, you wouldn't get much info out of it. It was done by a shop. He dropped it off and then picked it up. Don't remember much, if any, technical aspects to it.
I do remember him saying how easy it was, though. lol

Caution... computerS, plural... I believe there are several that "talk" to the PCM for the security system... unless starting the car isn't too important for your plans.

Caution... computerS, plural... I believe there are several that "talk" to the PCM for the security system... unless starting the car isn't too important for your plans.

Yeah but with the new hardware/software out by ma Mopar it makes the swap easier

I think the biggest headaches are the road speed done by abs sensors, which you would not have on you "old" 300 and the anti theft without the key switch, instrument panel, and of course the safety interlocks. I believe a company called Hotwire.com has a workaround for all or most of this stuff. That's my 1/2 cent advice and bad memory can do.
Oh and good luck, use the trans also, keep us posted.

Mopar just started offering a wiring harness for late model Hemi swaps. I assume that solves a lot of issues.

However... while I could get with this to build some kind of a cool sleeper from a car with a bland, smogger drivetrain; i.e., an 80s 5th Ave, an R-body, a Ramcharger, etc. Maybe; maybe even something that could have come as an unexciting combo when new, like a '71 Polara with a 318. But a car with a standard 440? No. The engine is as much a part of the character of the car as the styling. Lots of appearance-neutral things to do with a BB to add a couple hundred horses. Ask the F.A.S.T. guys.

Mopar just started offering a wiring harness for late model Hemi swaps. I assume that solves a lot of issues.

However... while I could get with this to build some kind of a cool sleeper from a car with a bland, smogger drivetrain; i.e., an 80s 5th Ave, an R-body, a Ramcharger, etc. Maybe; maybe even something that could have come as an unexciting combo when new, like a '71 Polara with a 318. But a car with a standard 440? No. The engine is as much a part of the character of the car as the styling. Lots of appearance-neutral things to do with a BB to add a couple hundred horses. Ask the F.A.S.T. guys.

BTW, why was a Ramcharger engine swap on my mind? Check this out:

SRT-10 RAM CHARGER VIPER POWERED!!!!!!

(talk about an ad that needs more photos...)

BTW, why was a Ramcharger engine swap on my mind? Check this out:

SRT-10 RAM CHARGER VIPER POWERED!!!!!!

(talk about an ad that needs more photos...)
Like it... would rather have seen the work go into a car and maybe a "pro-touring" style build with actual handling improvements. Not just bags.

I hope the build quality is worthy of the cost... looks good from here.

Carmine, I would like your thoughts... For me, when somebody else does that much work to modify or rebuild something, I usually think of it as a detriment to the value. I know there are others who do good quality work, but my experience with low quality work from some other shop/person have left me with the mentality of "assume something is wrong unless proven otherwise".

Getting the bug again. The 65 sits in the driveway awaiting newly upholstered seats. I've gone out several times and removed the car cover and war gamed a 5.7 swap. I'd probably leave the suspension alone albeit upgrading to make everything handle the hp and torque. No corner carver, just some mild upgrades to the suspension such as shocks, larger sway bar, upgraded steering box and overall suspension rebuild.

As far as engine figment probably looking at the oil pan, oil filter relocation, motor mounts and exhaust being the major Challangers. I'd like this to be a driveway swap however given the complexity of engineering a local shop may get the honors of engine figment and installment.

Given the unique Bigblock A body style driver side engine mount on the 65 this will be a fabrication issue. I may talk with Schumacker to get their input as to some ideas I have rolling around in my head.

Last edited:
65 has a funny motor mount on the driver's side at least the engine bracket is different, it been mentioned here several times. If you do one I would take the time to do the trans also using a r545 trans or a Nag1 will really complete the package otherwise you just have a powerful nice running engine in the same old car, which can be done with a rebuild and fuel injection of the original style engine with less hassle and money.

Given the unique Bigblock A body style driver side engine mount on the 65 this will be a fabrication issue. I may talk with Schumacker to get their input as to some ideas I have rolling around in my head
They have a mount to use a later engine without the bosses in the block so I'm sure it can be worked out.

Do you know if they offer a conversion kit for a Formal?

65 has a funny motor mount on the driver's side at least the engine bracket is different, it been mentioned here several times. If you do one I would take the time to do the trans also using a r545 trans or a Nag1 will really complete the package otherwise you just have a powerful nice running engine in the same old car, which can be done with a rebuild and fuel injection of the original style engine with less hassle and money.

Yes, 65 has the Bigblock A body style driver mount. Schumacker show a mount for 66 on up. Yes, as I mention that would be one of the challanges. Of course it would be easier to stay with the original style engine but why not do something different.

Back