Leaf spring rear shackles

72furious

Reaction score
antone know a place selling rear spring shackles? I talked with vans auto.com and they claimed they did but after receiving the complete rear springs and hardware, I found out they don't. PST claimed they did but called as requested and no info on them but they have a part number.

image.jpeg

65-68 design, RockAuto.
69-73 design, Unobtanium despite what the catalog says. Salvage yard or NOS only.
74-78 design. Unobtanium despite what the catalog says. Salvage yard or NOS only. I have a used pr. for sale.
The three designs are not interchangeable.

Thanks commando, that was what I was finding out. Pst claims they have them if talk to one but others say they don't. Going to go research fabing them up also.

Make sure when you make the offset shackle to heat to cherry red, bend, and immediately quench in oil.

From the picture, it appears the straight shackle looks like the 65-68 one. Just a guess.

If the bottom, shorter bolt is broken, I think you can knock the bolt out of any other shackle and replace it. The top.... I haven't figured that one out yet.

Why wouldn't a Gr8 bolt work?

Yes and no.

The bolt has a shoulder on it that the bracket bottoms out on. That keeps the rubber bushings from being squeezed. A grade 8 bolt with some sort of sleeve on it might work.

The shackles on mine had bolts on it. The PO had leaf springs rebuilt at a local shop and they must have cut the shackle bolts. They used bolts and drilled out the brackets. The shackles were bent and it didn't help that they installed them on the wrong sides. The whole thing wasn't right and the car always felt loose in the rear. New springs and some used shackles made the car handle a ton better.

Yes and no.

The bolt has a shoulder on it that the bracket bottoms out on. That keeps the rubber bushings from being squeezed. A grade 8 bolt with some sort of sleeve on it might work.

The shackles on mine had bolts on it. The PO had leaf springs rebuilt at a local shop and they must have cut the shackle bolts. They used bolts and drilled out the brackets. The shackles were bent and it didn't help that they installed them on the wrong sides. The whole thing wasn't right and the car always felt loose in the rear. New springs and some used shackles made the car handle a ton better.
I figured that was what you were thinking of. Buttoning it up too tight.
What I would do is button it up to spec, 125 ft-lbs (?) I believe, and add a spot weld to the nut or back up the nut with a Nylock nut.

FWIW, I bought NOS (Formal) shackles and there was no shoulder to prevent buttoning up too tight. The uninformed driveway hacker could have cranked and cranked the wrench without knowing when to stop.
After some miles are put on them, I'll retorque them and add one of the above.

Last edited:
Back