Leather or Vinyl seats for my 77 Newport Coupe

Pclancy

Reaction score
I have a really fine Newport coupe, but it has has the cloth brocade seats, which are a pain to keep clean. I fear the day I somehow stain or scratch them. I have tried countless seat covers; all are pretty cheap or just don't fit right.

Question: How crazy (or stupid) is it to try and replace the seats with leather or vinyl ones from a 74-78 C body? Even an Imperial? Will those seats fit? They don't need to be power, and if they were, I assume those could be somehow connected?

I can't find anyone who was either a black, white or green set of seats. I would settle for the front seat only, as people rarely ride in the back.

I am also investigating getting an upholstery shop to recover the seats, but I figure if I could find the real Chrysler deal, that would be even better. And maybe not much more $$.

Your views? If to do, where to look and how much? Very good-excellent condition only. I have checked many of the usual suspects.

Thanks and Merry Christmas folks!

You won't find any seats that will be acceptable. They're all over 40 years old! Some nice, none excellent. Excellent ones will be in excellent cars.
New upholstery will cost an arm and a leg.
Keep cleaning your fabric seats. I prefer fabric, anyway. I have mine steam cleaned professionally. Cheaper than swapping out.

0_PicsArt_03-14-05.52.45.jpg

Donor cars with nice leather is hard to find. You might find a set in the rust belt but they are getting pretty sparce.

Brocade is very nice. I would have them professionally cleaned like Stan has mentioned.

Have a set of covers professionally made and installed over the existing set. It's an easy job for a good shop and you can have any color/pattern/fabric you like.

You have a nice original car that I wouldn't even consider if the original seats were gone/altered.

Have a set of covers professionally made and installed over the existing set. It's an easy job for a good shop and you can have any color/pattern/fabric you like.

You have a nice original car that I wouldn't even consider if the original seats were gone/altered.
Thanks for setting me straight as usual. Will do.

Worst thing is that the original fabric can dry rot, especially in the rear seat where they aren't used, that can make them a little more fragile.

The vinyl option had a different stitching pattern than the cloth seats did, so to do it right, you'd need to replicate that.

You CAN get the front seat "used-car-ized" with a sheet of vinyl used to make a slip-on cover and then attached with hog rings to the seat structure. BUT the movement of the vinyl can still damage the cloth under it, due to movement and such.

KEY thing is to not be sloppy or allow others to be, when in the car. A bed sheet or thick bath sheet towel can be used for the seat cushion you sit on, if that might help. Learn how to enter and exit the car without squirming around very much, too. Step into the car, then sit down in the seat, where you're going to sit, put on the seat belts, and stay put. Once you get into that routine, it will become second nature. I know that for a fact. If you sit, then reposition yourself in the seat, it can hasten the destruction of the seat fabric and related seams, by observation. Too much twisting torque on those areas.

That brocade might not be "masculine" enough, but it sure is pretty and fancy when it's clean.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

A good upholstery shop can cover them in vinyl. I had mine from my '67 Imperil redone in vinyl but it was expensive. $1900 but that was also including all new foam, carpeting on the back, and an intricate pattern with buttons.

img_4625-jpg.jpg

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to a whole new upholstery job... For example, my wife took some quick measurements of my LHS and sewed up some fake lambs-wool covers with velcro straps that go under the seat back and attach to the frame, etc. The same could be done here, using velcro or hog rings if you never intend to remove them. I would expect a decent shop could do an even "fancier" job, then they could be removed if you want to show or sell the car.

Once again Mr Clancy..... you put my design mind into overdrive.....

IIRC, the vinyl seats were a different upholstery pattern and some had a raised embossed logo. I thinking 74-75 New Yorker being the best of the c body formal vinyl interiors. @75LandYacht has one of these I believe.

If your budget and patience would allow it, I would do it.

If I were think about vinyl upholstery and white was an option I would consider that would look great and period correct if not exactly original. With your white top and green interior it would be a great, if not strictly original, modification done correctly.
I would begin by getting the original dealer trim book to see what the available options were. I would also source the original material elks or cologne grain material from SMS. Likewise, some picture off the internet (or this site) for images of similar year and models to use for reference.

Doubtful you’ll find even a good used seat in any car willing to part with them at this point. Also, vinyl, like leather or cloth, will wear and crease and fail. Cleaning and maintenance are the same regardless so you won’t really save any effort.

One thing no one has mentioned is the coordinated door panels which would need to be considered as well.

With that in mind.. a combination brocade and vinyl would be quite interesting. Where the original brocade would be either the seating inset area of the design or a highlight. No trick in doing it if you have a good trim shop that can mimic the oem look and you use oem materials. At this stage of the game, do what you want and don’t worry too much about strict originality. And, if you are concerned, save the original seat covers for the next owner.

I do indeed sir: just to have my driver seat recovered not including the embossed section, (Passenger side pictured), which was from the original seat, cost me almost $1000 in parts and labor. Maybe it’s New York prices, I don’t know, I’ve never had to seat recover before, but the guy did an amazing job, but it will cost You either way.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I do indeed sir: just to have my driver seat recovered not including the embossed section, (Passenger side pictured), which was from the original seat, cost me almost $1000 in parts and labor. Maybe it’s New York prices, I don’t know, I’ve never had to seat recover before, but the guy did an amazing job, but it will cost You either way.
View attachment 240101 View attachment 240102
Very nice... and a fair price for the obviously quality job.

Once again I blown away by all the fantastic replies. Right now, I am getting an upholestry shop to quote me on a custom fit vinyl cover for the front seat only with specific instructions to have backing on the inside so as to be as gentle as possible to the original seat covers. The cover will be removable, and I don't plan to alter the orginal brocade seats in any way. I will leave the vinyl arm and head rests alone, even if that means different colors. My dog loves to travel with me in the front seat, and I just need something to protect the seat from her dogness. I will leave the back seat alone; no one ever goes back there and a blanket does the trick.

This car has been a labor of love. You guys--especially Javier who took the time to professionally inspect her--have helped me avoid stupid mistakes.
9303BC1A-05F0-4FA5-A85F-AC03BB0BB395.jpg

Once again I blown away by all the fantastic replies. Right now, I am getting an upholestry shop to quote me on a custom fit vinyl cover for the front seat only with specific instructions to have backing on the inside so as to be as gentle as possible to the original seat covers. The cover will be removable, and I don't plan to alter the orginal brocade seats in any way. I will leave the vinyl arm and head rests alone, even if that means different colors. My dog loves to travel with me in the front seat, and I just need something to protect the seat from her dogness. I will leave the back seat alone; no one ever goes back there and a blanket does the trick.

This car has been a labor of love. You guys--especially Javier who took the time to professionally inspect her--have helped me avoid stupid mistakes. View attachment 240753

Beautiful Formal!!!

:thumbsup:

It's going to be 60 and sunny New Years Day here. I'm definitely going to put some miles on the Blue Beast!

Back