LED dash lights

carrman

Reaction score
At the risk of being branded a heretic by the C body faithful, I present a couple of picture showing the LED bulbs I installed in my dash:

radio.jpg
Dash.jpg

The camera makes them appear brighter than they actually are.
Nothing against this, in fact I like the idea. My one big question... do they dim with the panel dimmer switch? If not is there an electronic dimmer available you could tuck under the dash to do the job?

Its really the way to go.they use way less power to illuminate, dont get hot, and last almost forever. I hate pulling dashes out for bad bulbs. I really like the blueish green that yours is. I wish i could have found a light strip more like that color.

I went with 12V 5630 LED flexable light strip and installed it around the perimeter of my gage housing. Its bright and dimmable. In the pix i'm using a 9v battery to test it. Very inexpensive too. Evilbay $7 shipped for a 5 meter roll, about 15 feet.

I only used about 4 feet. I tried the led bulbs. Only 4 places to plug them in, had lots of dim spots on the gages so i had to Tim Taylor it. The nice thing is because of the amount of light they put out, if 1 or even several LEDs on the strip go out you will likely never notice a dim spot.

It also comes in lots of different colors. Bright white, antique white, blue, red, green, purple, orange, also can get with tricolor leds and a controller to change through a full color spectrum and pick exactly what color you want.

downloadfile-6.jpg

downloadfile-9.jpg

downloadfile-24.jpg

downloadfile-15.jpg

downloadfile-8.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, man. While I'd miss the yellowy look of the original bulbs, there's way to much sense to making this conversion for that to stop me. Being that electrical and interior makeover is in the slate for this winter, I'll likely do the same.

At the risk of being branded a heretic by the C body faithful, I present a couple of picture showing the LED bulbs I installed in my dash:

View attachment 123626 View attachment 123627

For those wishing an easier option to brighter, less energy hogging lighting, go here

LED Car Lights | 12v Replacement Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

My entire car is lit using LED's including tail lights, backups, brake, dash and turn signals. Way brighter than OE and the only change you'll have to make is install an electronic flasher in place of the original. Just plugs in.

Dont forget, if they dont light, turn them 180° in the socket and reinstall. LEDs are polarity sensitive. If not negative grounded they will not light. Its prob best to use a 9v battery and some alligator clipped test leads. Run neg batt term to cluster housing ground, positive batt term to cluster back lighting pin, and install the leds. This way you can turn them and test to make sure they are lighting up before putting the cluster back in the car.

Strip lighting options. Lots to choose from. I even bought a waterproof roll in warm white to use for indirect lighting for my countertops in the kitchen. You need a 110v to 12v transformer for this, and i recommend a led compatable strip light remote control dimmer control. I will use my old garbage disposal wall plug under the sink for the transformer, and the wall switch from the old garbage disposal i got rid of to turn them on.

Screenshot_2017-05-11-13-14-20.png

Last edited:
For those wishing an easier option to brighter, less energy hogging lighting, go here

LED Car Lights | 12v Replacement Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

My entire car is lit using LED's including tail lights, backups, brake, dash and turn signals. Way brighter than OE and the only change you'll have to make is install an electronic flasher in place of the original. Just plugs in.

Can you tag what electronic flasher you used. I want to brighter my 69 300 up

I love it....you say dimmable...is that with the stock dimmer on the dash or a different controller?

Last edited:
Back