Let me know your thoughts, tire sizes

SixtySixFury3

Reaction score
I have 4 new 15"x 8" 4.5 backspace Chrysler Police Steelies. I think I'm going with 245/60R15s. However, I've seen plenty of photos with the 225/70R15s, I like the way those look too. I'm trying to figure out which will fit best. Any suggestions or photos of your similar set are welcome.

I have 4 new 15"x 8" 4.5 backspace Chrysler Police Steelies. I think I'm going with 245/60R15s. However, I've seen plenty of photos with the 225/70R15s, I like the way those look too. I'm trying to figure out which will fit best. Any suggestions or photos of your similar set are welcome.

My thoughts are that both of those tire sizes are to short. My recall is that the factory equipment tire was around 27.5” tall and if you look up the diameter of those tires you will see the difference. You need to look up the recommended wheel width for the tires you select as an 8” wide wheel might be an issue. Here’s my ‘68 Sport Fury with 235/70-15’s on 15 x 7” wheels.

IMG_2152.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg

I agree with the above post. In terms of looks my own view is lower is not better since my preference is staying close to factory specs. I wouldn't go any less than the 70s but if your looking for that lowered boy racer look of the 60s profile, go for it. In the end, if the car looks good to you it is more likely to be driven and stay on the road.

The 245 tire has a diameter of 26.6", the 225 tire is 27.4".

I'm guessing that an original tire would have had 26.7" diameter. (G78-14?)

As to the "largest size", consider that the largest OEM size back then (in 1965 when that platform was new in the showrooms) was 9.00x14. Nine inches wide on a 6.5" wide station wagon 14" wheel. That sets the "tire width" part of the situation.

On factory power disc brake cars, 15x6 wheels were standard with that option, back then, along with 8.45x15 tires, which later superceded to H78x15 size and P225/75R-15 in modern sizing, as to "revs/mile" numbers. The noted P235/70R-15 size is the same as the later H70x15 size, so everything is in a modern version of the "factory specs" of back then. Which also means the OD is pretty much the same and looks "right" (to me) on those C-body cars.

For the tires you are looking at, find those tires in the Tire Rack "Specs" and notice which rim sizes are appropriate for your tire size. Also note the little note at the bottom about how wider rims will affect the ultimate/mounted section width of the time on the car.

Additionally, the "hard parts" of the car suspension are the outer tie rod ends on the front and the outer edge of the rear leaf springs, plus how the body contours clear the outer sidewall of the tire. Check those areas with your current tires/wheels, too. See how much clearance is in each location and go from there. On the earlier C-bodies, there were rubberized deflector/shields on the outer tie rod ends from the factory. Many of those are long gone now, but with an H70-14 tires, a light bit of rubbing on them was obvious on our '66 Newport back then.

What I put on my '67 Newport ages ago was a set of 14x6.5 station wagon wheels and P245/70R-14 Advantage TAs. Those tires measured exactly to H70x14 size specs. With the factory wheel covers, an incognito upgrade!

Take care,
CBODY67

[/URL][/URL]

The 245 tire has a diameter of 26.6", the 225 tire is 27.4".

I'm guessing that an original tire would have had 26.7" diameter. (G78-14?)
Plymouth cars could be "down" to F78x14 (earlier 7.75x14) with a Slant 6 and no a/c. If factory a/c was in the mix, then G78x14 (earlier 8.25x14) happened. On the heavier Chryslers, G78x14 was the basic "no options" size, with factory a/c getting H78-14 tires (earlier 8.55x14). Factory power front disc brakes got 8.45x15. Station wagons for 9.00x14 tires on 14x6.5" wheels. With factory power front disc brakes getting 8.45x15 (later H78x15) on 15x6" wheels.

As a point of reference among the C-body cars.

CBODY67

The "tire comparators" are very good tools to use to compare tire sizes as to OD and width, one to another. Back when the alpha-numeric tire sizing system went into effect in about 1968 model year, a CAR LIFE article detailed this move as "consumer focused" so they would not be sold tires smaller than was needed for their car. The "Minimum Size" tire pressure decal on the B-pillar was a part of this initiative. That article also stated the sizes of these new-sized tires had a governmental spec tolerance of 7% from the minimum specs in the chart in the article.

If you go into the various "Specs" charts for the various tire lines at www.TireRack.com, it becomes obvious that the same size of tire indifferent brands are not all exactly the same as to sizing. BTAIM

Rather than tire OD, that spec is listed along side a "Revs/mile" spec which is much more accurate. Of course, with some math the OD can be converted to "revs/mile", too.

When I was researching the old BFG Advantage TAs for my '67 Newport, that was one of the first places I came into contact with that spec. Little did I know that that spec had been around for decades! Where had it been hidden from view? In the old "A.M.A. Specifications" which all OEMs published and submitted to the Automobile Manufacturers Association (called Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association in later times) that was a sort of over-seeing group for the OEMs. When I discovered where I could find those old submission lists, I was amazed at the specs in them, including "Tire Revs/Mile specs"! For the old bias-ply tires, the speed for these specs was "@45mph".

For comparisons, the "tire comparator" utilities can be great tools, just that sometimes, how things are in the production world might vary a bit from their "ideal" specs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

i have the 225 /70 15's on police car rims on mine...one of the issues i came across was the fact that at this point that size is basically an SUV tire...so trying to come up with a US brand tire resulted in goodyear wranglers, firestone destinations etc...finally settled on general altimax

My thoughts are that both of those tire sizes are to short. My recall is that the factory equipment tire was around 27.5” tall and if you look up the diameter of those tires you will see the difference. You need to look up the recommended wheel width for the tires you select as an 8” wide wheel might be an issue. Here’s my ‘68 Sport Fury with 235/70-15’s on 15 x 7” wheels.

View attachment 621501View attachment 621502
Nice car, I like that one.

It's my impression that the bias tires sat taller when loaded vs today's radials, so oversizing for a radial tire is probably needed to maintain the correct speedo reading. Regarding rotations per mile when seeing those specs on tirerack, to me it's unknow if that is a loaded measurement (from the manufacturer) or if that's just straight math from the tiresize.

245/60 15 are too short. They look small in the openings and have a much harsher ride than the 235/70 which are also virtually identical in diameter as original. keeping your speedo accurate. I speak from experience with these two sizes.
Wheels before and after 008.jpg

20160409_125400a.jpg

I may exchange the 15" x 8" set for 15" x 7" and just go with 225/70's all the way around. First and foremost, the 60 series is too low, that's off the top.

I should have made considerations for long tube headers that will be coming at a later date. The R60s would definitely be too low, the 245 width seems like an overkill, however, I am moving to a full QA1 suspension so all that may be out the door.

For now, the 225/70R15s will do the trick. I need to figure out if the 4.5 offsets will be okay. If I can get away with not shipping those wheels back to Summit, I will.

245/60 15 are too short. They look small in the openings and have a much harsher ride than the 235/70 which are also virtually identical in diameter as original. keeping your speedo accurate. I speak from experience with these two sizes.
View attachment 621512

View attachment 621514
That's a great illustration, thank you. My speedo is not correct, I switched to 3.91 gears and knew I was also changing tire radius. I will wait to address that issue once all that is dialed in, and swap out the speedo gear when its all behind me.

Agreed with the above. I have 225's all the way around on mine and for the spare. 60's series are too short for C Bodies.

It's my impression that the bias tires sat taller when loaded vs today's radials, so oversizing for a radial tire is probably needed to maintain the correct speedo reading. Regarding rotations per mile when seeing those specs on tirerack, to me it's unknow if that is a loaded measurement (from the manufacturer) or if that's just straight math from the tiresize.
When I put the Pireelli P76s on my '70 Monaco Brougham "N" car, back in 1976, I went from the H78-15 to a JR78-15 tire. This addressed the radial "bulge" in the sidewalls and also helped prevent the factory duals dragging on certain driveway approaches. UNTIL I replaced the Monroe Load Leveler rear shocks with air shocks, to compensate for the sagged rear springs (just 60psi to level things out).

If you convert the newer riadial section width sizes to inches, part of that issue has been addressed. For example, if you convert 225mm to inches, you get 8.85, which was the pre-cursor of the J78 size of 15" tires. Although the revs/mile are closer to the H78x15 size.

As to tire width, things might get to be a bit too wide, considering the camber angles of the Chrysler front end as the tires turn to execute corners. End result is that "edge wear" can happen with wider treads than narrower treads. NOT to forget the higher probability of hydroplaning on wet pavement, with the wider treads. "Wider" might look better, but might not really work better "on the road", in some cases.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Chrysler cop wheels are 15x 7

Wheel Vintiques 69 Series Chrysler Police Black Wheels 69-5812042​

Wheel, Chrysler Police, Steel, Black, 15 in.x 8 in., 5 x 4.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.5 in. Backspace, Each
Sold on Summit:

Wheel Vintiques 69-5812042 Wheel Vintiques 69 Series Chrysler Police Black Wheels | Summit Racing

Why would I lie about what I ordered?

I realized I need 1.25" spacers too, easy to fix, and gonna look great, I'll post. I also committed to the 225/70R15's Cooper Cobras, I'll pick those up later today.

If anyone is interested in those Raceline wheels let me know. Mine are 18's in the front and 20's in the back as in my photos. Check the link below you see what the fitment is that you want. They have a black accent, not the purple like in the photo.

Charger – Raceline Wheels

Back