New tires and wheels for my 66 New Yorker

surfnturf

Reaction score
I just acquired my first C Body Mopar and pretty much love it exactly as it is. That said, I will be adding disc brakes to it sometime this year and want to make clearance for the calipers.
I'm going to swap the wheels to 15 x 7" with 4" backspacing. I've searched all the threads on tire size and have narrowed down the tire size between 225 x 70R15 or 235 70R 15. Do any of you have a preference or feedback on what would fit and look best?
IMG_6663.JPG

Search around on the website, there is a LOT of information on this topic. My '67 New Yorker has drum brakes, and I contemplated the same thing, but for the driving I do, the 14" wheel and drum brakes, work just fine.

BEAUTIFUL New Yorker, especially with the white vinyl "earmuffs....." there was a similar one at Carlisle this past weekend, only in a darker color. If you want to make your New Yorker look correct for disc wheels in 1966, you want THIS wheel cover. Good luck with your search, and with the change-over.

DiscBrake1966.jpg

Last edited:
I just acquired my first C Body Mopar and pretty much love it exactly as it is. That said, I will be adding disc brakes to it sometime this year and want to make clearance for the calipers.
I'm going to swap the wheels to 15 x 7" with 4" backspacing. I've searched all the threads on tire size and have narrowed down the tire size between 225 x 70R15 or 235 70R 15. Do any of you have a preference or feedback on what would fit and look best?
View attachment 606589
235/75R15 Narrow White wall. The Nexen Npriz AH5 is a good tire. Strong and smooth. My thoughts.

I found a few people selling the 15" disc brake hubcaps on Ebay. Price is reasonable, however they all look a bit beat up. I'm tossing the idea of Magnum 500's as I have always like the way they look. I'm concerned that they may look out of place on my 4 door hardtop. If I did that, the next question would be "white Stripe vs. raised white letters vs. red stripes.

Here are a few pictures that I found on this site that I like.

Phillips-66A.jpg

20220531_221311.jpg

FLW 8A.png

If it were me, and I was not going with the 15" Disc Brake wheel covers, it would be chromie Magnum 500s with white stripe tires.

View attachment 606650
I really like the look of the white stripes with the Magnum 500's!! I'll probably end up going this direction if I can't source some clean 15" wheel covers. I was originally leaning towards the red stripe tires. Hmmm...

In order to update the 14" tires, I switched to these 15" road wheels and 2257515 tires. You be the judge on appearance Before and after

DSC07359.JPG

DSC07459.JPG

I found a few people selling the 15" disc brake hubcaps on Ebay. Price is reasonable, however they all look a bit beat up. I'm tossing the idea of Magnum 500's as I have always like the way they look. I'm concerned that they may look out of place on my 4 door hardtop. If I did that, the next question would be "white Stripe vs. raised white letters vs. red stripes.

Here are a few pictures that I found on this site that I like.

View attachment 606647

View attachment 606648

View attachment 606649
Narrow white wall on Magnums look great. Raised white letters looks like you borrowed wheels from your Road Runner.

Here is what 235/70-15 looks like on your body style. It gives you an idea of what the tire size looks like on your car skirts and all...

View attachment 606667

View attachment 606668
Love the torque thrusts! They look great with the RWL... however it's probably a bit too high performance of a look for my 4 door hardtop. Looks amazing on your car! Tire size looks perfect. I'm pretty much settled on that size. Thanks for sharing!

Ha ha... I get what your saying. I does look a bit too hot-rod for a 4 door hardtop. What about the red-stripe?
Red stripes are nice looking for a period correct car, but your buying expensive show tires mostly. You can't tell what the make is before ordering or what base tire the manufacturer will use. Bang for buck and easy to replace is what can be bought at many tire location across the country. As in Nexen AH5

Here's 235/70-15 with the Disc Brake hubcaps. Not sure there's a current whitewall in that size, so when I replace I may have to go 235/75.

20221004_183202.jpg

Here's 235/70-15 with the Disc Brake hubcaps. Not sure there's a current whitewall in that size, so when I replace I may have to go 235/75.

View attachment 606669
DB_III_RL_Angle.jpg

Performance Plus in Southern California sells Diamond Back Tires in Red and White Stripe. Apparently they are based on BF Goodrich T/A's. They will build me the 235/70R15's for 319.00 each. Seems reasonable.

I have thought about those with Magnum 500s for the Monaco. I think it would look sweet...but at $1,280 USD for 4 tires, that's a tad steep for me... in CAD it's approaching $2,000. Not so sure I can do that, even with already having the wheels. If I had to buy the wheels and centre caps too, that's an additional $3,000.

I have thought about those with Magnum 500s for the Monaco. I think it would look sweet...but at $1,280 USD for 4 tires, that's a tad steep for me... in CAD it's approaching $2,000. Not so sure I can do that, even with already having the wheels. If I had to buy the wheels and centre caps too, that's an additional $3,000.
American_Racing_VN501_Black_Machined_angle(1).jpg

Performance plus price for American Racing VN501, with the red-line 235 70r/15's, mounted, balanced, and shipped with lug nuts is under 2K plus tax. Since the tires are built to order, it will be about 4-6 weeks before I see them. I'm thinking this is the way that I'm going to go. I can save about 600.00 if I go with the white line tires. Decisions decisions....

Back