New tires and wheels for my 66 New Yorker

Ahhh - I see your thinking.

Well, while I like the "modernized" version of the Magnum 500, I must say I prefer the original with Mopar centres...

1689652172662.png

Like this:

1689652237116.png

However, it's your car and your taste, and there's absolutely no one who will make a better choice for your car than you.

The Magnum rims would look great on your car. The raised white letter tires look good on the newer ( 70 and up models ) but on yours I would do either the red or white stripes.

The 66 440 Newport's I've owned liked 225/70-15 Michelin the best. The 235/75 gave up to much power for the stock rear gear. The 383's liked the 205/70-15 Uniroyal's.
Most of the wheels that were not hub centric had to be balanced on the car, each and every time the tires were rotated.
The 235/75-15 Nexens aren't the best riding tire. Polyester, steel and nylon tread.

Yes, get white wall.

Thats how my 70 Charger came . I always thought they looked better than Rallye wheels.

The 66 440 Newport's I've owned liked 225/70-15 Michelin the best. The 235/75 gave up to much power for the stock rear gear. The 383's liked the 205/70-15 Uniroyal's.
Most of the wheels that were not hub centric had to be balanced on the car, each and every time the tires were rotated.
The 235/75-15 Nexens aren't the best riding tire. Polyester, steel and nylon tread.

Yes, get white wall.
Excellent advice on tire size. I just looked at the chart and the 225/70-15 are about 3/8 smaller than the stock 8.55-14’s and the 235/70 are about 3/8 taller than the current 8.55 14’s that I have on the car. My ultimate goal is a cross country adventure next year traversing the northern route from California to Chicago and then taking the historic Route 66 back. I think the 235/70 15 should be okay as I am setting this up as a plush cruiser. The 440’s massive 480 ft.lbs of torque should pull the hills just fine regardless if I go slightly taller.

I can't disagree with your logic.
If I were running "only" at 75 mph and no boulevards, then the 237/75 would also be a very good candidate.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the wheel or cover options mentioned, but to me a luxury car like that only looks right with a white stripe tire.

I went with full wheel covers from an '80s 5th Avenue. Wouldn't be my first pick, but they were available & cheap, so they'll do for now.

Xmas Lights & 1965 Chrysler 737 Ash & Jefferson  Mason 12 07 2022.JPG

Ahhh - I see your thinking.

Well, while I like the "modernized" version of the Magnum 500, I must say I prefer the original with Mopar centres...

View attachment 606883

Like this:

View attachment 606884

However, it's your car and your taste, and there's absolutely no one who will make a better choice for your car than you.

LW_LW50_Satin_Black_Machined_AngleV2.png

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. All of the photos you guys posted on this thread are amazing making my decision even more difficult.

Here is the wheel that I selected. It is the Legendary Magnums 15x7 with 4-1/4" backspace. I'm going to go with 225/75r15's with the white stripe. Do any of you see any issues with this size configuration? If not, I'll be pulling the trigger today.

View attachment 606905
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. All of the photos you guys posted on this thread are amazing making my decision even more difficult.

Here is the wheel that I selected. It is the Legendary Magnums 15x7 with 4-1/4" backspace. I'm going to go with 225/75r15's with the white stripe. Do any of you see any issues with this size configuration? If not, I'll be pulling the trigger today.
My experience with the 66 C is that the car will definitely like that size tire.
There is a lot of reading to be done on what make and construction tire will ride the best with the least amount of noise and still stop good in the rain.
Personally I don't think the C likes a 50 psi tire with nylon in it.
And, a 50-psi max tire (Nexen) is rated to handle "less" load "at" 30 psi than a 44 or 35-psi max tire is.
Give me a polyester steel tire on a good C sedan and I'm happy as a clam.

Are those nice wheels hub centric?

My experience with the 66 C is that the car will definitely like that size tire.
There is a lot of reading to be done on what make and construction tire will ride the best with the least amount of noise and still stop good in the rain.
Personally I don't think the C likes a 50 psi tire with nylon in it.
And, a 50-psi max tire (Nexen) is rated to handle "less" load "at" 30 psi than a 44 or 35-psi max tire is.
Give me a polyester steel tire on a good C sedan and I'm happy as a clam.

Are those nice wheels hub centric?
Tires are steel belted radials. Vercelli Tires Classic 787 Passenger All Season Tire Passenger Tire Size 225\/75R15 - Performance Plus Tire

I believe the wheels are Lug Centric however they advertise that they are hub centric ring compatible.

Tires are steel belted radials. Vercelli Tires Classic 787 Passenger All Season Tire Passenger Tire Size 225\/75R15 - Performance Plus Tire

I believe the wheels are Lug Centric however they advertise that they are hub centric ring compatible.
I am anxious to know how those tires feel and perform on your car.
The hub centric ring compatible part is very important. I'm having good success with that on C cars using old mags from the 70's. Slots, center lines, that kind of old wheel.

I still think that if you are taking your car on long road trips, I would go 235/75Rr15 radial.

I am anxious to know how those tires feel and perform on your car.
The hub centric ring compatible part is very important. I'm having good success with that on C cars using old mags from the 70's. Slots, center lines, that kind of old wheel.
I'll report back after they're installed!

I still think that if you are taking your car on long road trips, I would go 235/75Rr15 radial.
Hmmm... now you got me second guessing myself. :) I went with the 225/75r15 because they are 5/8" taller than the stock 8.55-14's that are on the car
IMG_6666.JPG
right now.

Current Tires Bias Ply 8.55-14 = 27.7"
225/75R15= 28.3"
235/75R15= 28.8"

I get what you're saying, but since I live in a rural area near the San Francisco Bay area... I am still surrounded by hills and mountains. I do plan on driving the car locally as well.

Hmmm... now you got me second guessing myself. :) I went with the 225/75r15 because they are 5/8" taller than the stock 8.55-14's that are on the carView attachment 606975 right now.

Current Tires Bias Ply 8.55-14 = 27.7"
225/75R15= 28.3"
235/75R15= 28.8"

I get what you're saying, but since I live in a rural area near the San Francisco Bay area... I am still surrounded by hills and mountains. I do plan on driving the car locally as well.
OK, cool. You can always change.

Back