New tires and wheels for my 66 New Yorker

Hmmm... now you got me second guessing myself. :) I went with the 225/75r15 because they are 5/8" taller than the stock 8.55-14's that are on the carView attachment 606975 right now.

Current Tires Bias Ply 8.55-14 = 27.7"
225/75R15= 28.3"
235/75R15= 28.8"

I get what you're saying, but since I live in a rural area near the San Francisco Bay area... I am still surrounded by hills and mountains. I do plan on driving the car locally as well.
The 235/75 would certainly go up the hills and mountains. The car will just have to work a little harder to go up the steepest of mountains (9%?) and it will do more shifting in the hills.
The bigger noticeable difference is the local driving. It won't effortlessly zip up to 50 at light throttle with the 235/75 like it does now.
I didn't get any significant improvement in mpg at 70 with the 235/75 over the stock size. Or notice any improvement in noise. These are short stroke motors. I think they are happy with the rpm at 80 with the stock tire size. But the brakes don't like the 235/75.
I don't see how the 225/75 could be anything other than a very good all-around size.
If you really wanted it to stick more, you would need to go to a 245/ to 275/. My experience with that was yes, you can make it go around a curve better. But it did tax the suspension and the cars (64, 66, 68,) didn't ride as well on the less than average (potholes, joints) road surface. The cars didn't control the tire as well in general.
The 69 to 73 definitely do like the 235/75 as a general size tire.

I know I am in the minority (and maybe a minority of one), but my feeling is a 66 NYer should have the exact setup pictured in your first post. It fits, it's period correct, Elwood designed it that way.

I know I am in the minority (and maybe a minority of one), but my feeling is a 66 NYer should have the exact setup pictured in your first post. It fits, it's period correct, Elwood designed it that way.
The interstate system wasn't open fully, speed limits would have been 60mph when he designed that car. If you want to cruise the highways and interstate get a good 15" size

I remember Dad cruising along at 80 all day in the 1955 Dodge. Speed limits in the 60s were as high as 80. Montana and Nevada said whatever was safe.

I would like to cruise 100 plus for an hour at least once here.
I did on the Autobahn, but that road system is less suited to 100 plus than a lot of our interstate system is.
And when they have an accident over there, they can wad up a lot of cars in a hurry.

I agree with you 100% however I'm planning to drive this car in the modern world and install disc brakes. I will keep the original wheels, hubcaps, reproduction 8.55 x 14 bias ply tires and original drum brake parts bagged, tagged and shrink-wrapped in my barn in case anyone wants to put it back to stock in the future.

This is my 65 300 with M body 15inch wheels and disc brake wheelcovers, I also did the disc brake upgrade. The car didnt notice the change, the speedo is off about 5%. Get gas shocks and the suspension will be fine with the radials. So much more secure stopping, you cant get good shoes easily now.
Mark

20200528_143456.jpg

The new Legendary Magnum 500 with 225 75r 15's showed up late last week. Finally made the time to swap them out this morning! My wife and I are going to take it for a late Sunday drive out to dinner this evening.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I really appreciate the wealth of experience and information!

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7343.JPG

The new Legendary Magnum 500 with 225 75r 15's showed up late last week. Finally made the time to swap them out this morning! My wife and I are going to take it for a late Sunday drive out to dinner this evening.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I really appreciate the wealth of experience and information!

View attachment 608521

View attachment 608522
She looks great!

Well, I just can't think of anything that would look better. At any price.
I like them on that car. That would be my first selection. They do present as a factory option.

View attachment 608521

View attachment 608522
What’s the specs on the wheels or part number? They look great

Back