Lets Play A Game: Last Of The Convertibles

As we learned from the other "Last Built" thread, the true way to find out what the actual last built, appears to be from the broadcast sheet.

As plants handled the broadcast sequence number differently, that is one way that helps.

It can’t.

meaning....there is no valid way to determine build sequence for 1970.

Agreed..... so the birthday on the tag is all we have to go by . ..

I believe on these cars ( 1970 Belvedere ) that the dates are fairly accurate . .Especially coinciding with VINs.

I say we change the title to "last ordered convertible". Then it becomes a basic game of VIN's High. Start with the latest date on the tag, and then whoever has the highest VIN wins.

Other than that, unless a file cabinet of miracle documents appear we will never know and there would always be doubt even if the owner provides "proof". I suspect even the guys on the line who signed the "last one built" in yellow marker wouldn't have known what happened on the next shift, 10 more could have come down the line the next day.

As plants handled the broadcast sequence number differently, that is one way that helps.
So the vin sequence # one of my 2dr hardtops is 100359...built 8/4/69...supposed to be one of the first ones built for 70...those numbers mean nothing?

You can't give me an alternative , you're just saying you can't do it that way. Now what?

You’re looking for an answer that can’t be proven with information know. Your statement takes the stance there is an alternative. There isn’t.

Cars were built before and after SPDs so you can’t use that as ”last”. A car with an earlier SPD could have been built after a car with a later SPD.

Cars weren’t built in VIN sequence order so a higher VIN doesn’t indicate order.

The VON has nothing to do with production order so you can’t use that.

shipping dates from window stickers may help but you have to acknowledge it would be supporting data, not primary.

Plants did handle broadcast sheets differently. Some plants do use a sort of date code on the BS. Some did use a sequential numbering system. If you can compile BS info, that may help determine a tighter assembly order.

People want order, closure and answers when none may exist.

So the vin sequence # one of my 2dr hardtops is 100359...built 8/4/69...supposed to be one of the first ones built for 70...those numbers mean nothing?

it means your car was assigned the 359th VIN at that plant for that year. It means it was scheduled for 8/4/69. Both are related to administration, not production.

It could have been the 200th car assembled, it could have been the 600th. It could have been started on 8/2 or 8/9.

it means your car was assigned the 359th VIN at that plant for that year. It means it was scheduled for 8/4/69. Both are related to administration, not production.

It could have been the 200th car assembled, it could have been the 600th. It could have been started on 8/2 or 8/9.

At that plant?

So that means there could be another car say...DL43L0R100359 for example?

My understanding was that the sequence number was the 359th car built for Chrysler Corporation across all makes/models regardless of assembly plant.

Appreciate your information. I'll have a couple more sheets for you next year at Carlisle unless you find yourself in Northern Illinois before then.

You’re looking for an answer that can’t be proven with information know. Your statement takes the stance there is an alternative. There isn’t.

Cars were built before and after SPDs so you can’t use that as ”last”. A car with an earlier SPD could have been built after a car with a later SPD.

Cars weren’t built in VIN sequence order so a higher VIN doesn’t indicate order.

The VON has nothing to do with production order so you can’t use that.

shipping dates from window stickers may help but you have to acknowledge it would be supporting data, not primary.

Plants did handle broadcast sheets differently. Some plants do use a sort of date code on the BS. Some did use a sequential numbering system. If you can compile BS info, that may help determine a tighter assembly order.

People want order, closure and answers when none may exist.

Then we have to do it this way, there's your order. Closure? Not in this instance .

Kinda like saying only 7 known.

At that plant?

My understanding was that the sequence number was the 359th car built for Chrysler Corporation across all makes/models regardless of assembly plant.

Appreciate your information. I'll have a couple more sheets for you next year at Carlisle unless you find yourself in Northern Illinois before then.

yes. Duplicate VINs with the only difference being the plant are possible.
The VINs RM23H9(A E G) 123456 are possible.

With a couple of exceptions, plants started their own VIN sequences at 100001 each year.

Last edited:
Guys we can all agree on one thing. All the c bodies are beautiful and we don't see ourselves coming and going like Gm or Fords. Thanks to all who save them to show what a well designed car looks like.

At that plant?

My understanding was that the sequence number was the 359th car built for Chrysler Corporation across all makes/models regardless of assembly plant..

This is on point...

I was going through some tags tonight and found this example of matching last six digits from two different plants. Each plant started the model year at 100001.

same_seqence_vin_500.jpg

Not too many Plymouths in this thread so far. @Harvey5 posted the tag for PM27G0D164324, his sharp Fury ´vert, here. The SPD was Nov. 25, 1969.

Last edited:
A new thread appeared today about CM27T0C245627, a yellow roller that seems to have lost its fender tag.

While looking up something else, I came upon the tag of CE27L0C210785. It was posted by @barnfind when that DY3 yellow 383-2 Newport 'vert with tan interior seat and black top was listed for sale back in 2014.

Her scheduled production date was March 20, 1970. The car seems to have been made with few options, but they are good ones -- buckets/buddy, disc brakes, power windows (but not power vents), and R23 radio.

I wonder what's happened to the car since?

Last edited:
My 70 Fury convertible was built way earlier. What's interesting to me is that mine was built at D factory, Belvidere. I didn't know c-body convertibles were built elsewhere.

Would you be willing to post the tag for PM27G0D143858? I have seen its VIN, but the full tag would be great as this year is the 50th anniversary of the cars!

That car is one of the 7 known PM27T0D cars. Most of the other 6 cars are similarly loaded.

I am adding here a 9th one that was posted for sale last month: PM27T0D129913 (an FF4 'vert with green buckets/buddy and white top) is seemingly still available. She was scheduled for production on Sept. 20, 1969.

The fender tag of PM27T0D148353, the 8th T-code Fury 'vert to become known to @Fury440 (the authority on the topic), was posted here almost 3 years ago. The production date of this originally ER6 red (later black) 'vert with black/charcoal interior and black top was scheduled for building on October 30, 1969. She was advertised for sale on FCBO back in May 2017, but it looks like no one stepped up and she got crushed.

On a more uplifting note, here is the tag for PM27G0D131263, @Zephyr 's white/blue split bench/white top 'vert. She is currently undergoing a perfectionist restoration in the UK. She was born on Sept. 22, 1969 -- just two days after the T-code now for sale.

Last edited:
I've been watching this #8 and will add it to my list once someone buys it and gets it back on the road. Unfortunately the odds aren't great so it may end up crushed. It's a shame they all can't be restored, but the crazy cost to do a restore is a huge limiting factory.

Back