Loosing break fluid

kenfyoozed

Reaction score
on my 67 300 i seem to be loosing brake fluid in the rear chamber over a few weeks. I keep topping it off but Idont see where I am loosing fluid from. After filling this time i saw some on the master cylinder itself, but I think that was from possible over filling. Where else could I be loosing fluid? Ive traced the lines and see no fluid loss anywhere. It does have a SBS disc brake upgrade on the front.

Yup, if the lines and wheels are dry, probably the seal in the back of the mc itself

why have it rebuilt over buying a "new" one?

There are very few reman boosters for C-Bodies available. What few there are will usually be Cardon't's which in general terms are a POS. Pay Dewey or some other quality re-builder to do the job right the first time. The other issue is if yours is a disc brake car, the Bendix dual diaphragm boosters are in short supply and some re-builders are substituting the wrong booster. Once you send them your core you are screwed if they send you the wrong booster.

Dave

I found oreilys has some that are made by Breakbest. My car has a disc brake kit added to it, as i don't think it originally had disc brakes.

why have it rebuilt over buying a "new" one?
I don't believe you can buy a "new" one.

Booster Dewey is a very good rebuilder. When you buy a "remanufactured" pat from someone like Cardon, it's a crap shoot on quality and sometimes even if it's the right one (seems to happen a lot). Send your booster to Booster Dewey and your booster comes back.

I found oreilys has some that are made by Breakbest. My car has a disc brake kit added to it, as i don't think it originally had disc brakes.

Looking at his prices..... is the c-body the midland/ bendix version?

If someone has changed the booster/master cylinder, we aren't going to know what's there.

Some of the kits use a generic GM style MC and booster. Some people use the newer Mopar MC. Some even leave the old drum brake stuff in place.

Got a picture?

Looking at his prices..... is the c-body the midland/ bendix version?

Midland is a drum booster, Bendix is the disc unit. If your have a booster that came with a disc conversion kit, a lot of those used after market boosters. You should probably research to see what you have.

Dave

I just looked at the O'Reilly's and they are rebuilt.

My 65 New Yorker power drum booster could use refreshing. It kinda looks like it twist/locks together. Is this something a diy could rebuild? Where can I get the kit?

IMG_20200414_193157201.jpg

looks like the bendix version...same as mine...took forever to find one..and even then it was reman...CENTRIC 16080025 was the number...it can be rebuilt though.

Last edited:
Nowhere in this this topic have I seen anybody asked, or have you said that you've pulled the drums and looked at how maybe oiled, trashed things are that are hidden???????
Dig deeper into your problem before asking questions, don't spend money till you figure out what's really going on here. Good Luck

Pulling the master cylinder only takes a few minutes and you barely get your hands dirty. If it is leaking out the back, it will be pretty obvious.

If it is leaking I'd pull the booster and spritz a can of brake cleaner into it to flush out any brake fluid that might be in it and see how it works after replacing the MC. I had the same problem and the booster was ok after replacing the MC.

Kevin

Back