For Sale Lost out by 25 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love beaters too. When I built my Omni I loved the fact I could put tools on the hood etc. No one looked at it. I was sad in a way when I got it painted.

I couldn't do this even on a beater, except for the Vinyl top, which is the only benefit of that Option in the first place.

I'm going to disagree... turbo troubles=$$... wiring problems are often much, much cheaper.

It can be much cheaper but these old computer systems are so antiquated and not many people under 40 know anything about them or don't have a scanner to cover these cars anymore. I have an old snapon scanner and have had my issues and although cheap to fix the frustration is great at times. A turbo while expensive at least you know what your up against. That was my point anyways.

Worth every penny. Turbo whine, blow off valves popping, wastegate dumps, like a mechanical symphony.

When it is all working correctly it can be a dream!!
After the good ole days the electronics ,computers,turbos etc crept in and there were real teething pains.

Last edited:
My 78 LeSabre was the turbo V6. Gawd!! Talk about crude early technology!!
The uncooled primitive turbos had to be changed out every 50k. And they weren't cheap.
The computer was a true black box. Totally encased in black epoxy.
When it got hot, the car went 100% dead. You had to wait 30 minutes to cool down enough or put ice on it.
Leading edge technology...

The 63 Oldsmobile Starfire was a turbo as well as an early 70's BMW 2002. The way they controlled boost was with a restrictive exhaust sytem to keep the turbo from running away. For sure the Olds and I think also the BMW. With the Olds you ran a water methanol mix you bought from the dealer.
There were problems with turbos that weren't water cooled like Stan mentioned. Synthetic oils weren't available and coking of turbo bearings from extreme heat was a problem.

Last edited:
What year were synthetic oils introduced to the public? I don't recall.

In Euro high Performance cars around the mid 70s. I own an old BMW/Alpina that already had Mobil synthetic oil recommended.

Last edited:
Turbo 5 speed. Comfortable seats, easy to get in and out of.

1990 Dodge Caravan Turbo Manual

Screenshot_20180519-215115.jpg

Really, the only reason you find this on Craigslist today is that I'm going to buy one of my old Subaru's back from my in-law's now that they are done with it, and I frankly don't have room to store it and it wouldn't get driven much.
Selling to make room

My 78 LeSabre was the turbo V6. Gawd!! Talk about crude early technology!!
The uncooled primitive turbos had to be changed out every 50k. And they weren't cheap.
The computer was a true black box. Totally encased in black epoxy.
When it got hot, the car went 100% dead. You had to wait 30 minutes to cool down enough or put ice on it.
Leading edge technology...
Put ice on it?????????? Does the term VAPOR LOCK dust off any cobwebs in the memory banks Friend Commando? Late '40s early '50s products from THE GENERAL used to give me night mares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back