low compression

• Thread starter Deleted member 220
  • Start date
i found the cam that was in last a lobe or two and the valves are hanging open too much lift ? need a cam and adjustable rockers they where holding the valves open. so i know have more work to do on this car over the winter looks like ill have to wait on painting it.

If the valve is being held open when it is on the baseline of the cam, it sounds like you have some lifters that are not bleeding down.

With the rocker shafts removed, using a smaller dead blow, lightly bump the valves to be sure that they are returning properly. A bent valve or old gas leaving varnish on the stems can cause your valve to hang up or drag.

As far as needing adjustable rockers, you shouldn't need them if your heads or deck have not been planed excessively. Some cam baselines can vary, but I have never had an issue due to this.

With a lifter that has bled down, you can check your lifter preload, and your rockers should compress your lifter .015" - .040", and I have seen up to .060" that caused no problems.

i found the cam that was in last a lobe or two and the valves are hanging open too much lift ? need a cam and adjustable rockers they where holding the valves open. so i know have more work to do on this car over the winter looks like ill have to wait on painting it.

It sounds vaguely like you pulled the camshaft out and found damaged lobes. I can't parse your sentence structure (noun, verb, object), and the apparent mispelllings don't help (lost a lobe?).

well i really dont care about my spelling sometimes when im typing i dont always type the right words where they need to be or i type more then needed.
"has2bmopar" thanks for the help. i will be installing a new cam i had a friend measure the cam lobes and he said two of them are worn but before i put the new one in ill pull the heads and check the valves like i said good winter project. any ideas on what i should put in for a cam?

any ideas on what i should put in for a cam?

Let me know what gear ratio, intake, exhaust manifolds/headers etc. that you will be using and I can suggest some options.

I built this 440 earlier this year for a friend... About 500 HP, should run in the high 12s with the 3.55s and soft compound tires.

Diamond pistons with .012" deck clearance/ .051" quench, 10.5 - 1 with aluminum heads.
Edelbrock RPM intake
800 AVS
Steel 3.75" crank, stock rods, balanced
Comp Cams Xtreme energy 230/236 duration @.050", .488"/.491" (.521"/.524") lift with 1.6 ratio Hughes roller rockers.
Hedman ceramic headers with full 3" exhaust.

The aggressive ramps on these cams do make a good share of valve train noise, but they do have good low end, and a broad power range. I think I would prefer less valve train noise, have more lope and sacrifice a little low end torque.

IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Do you have enough clearance to close the hood?

Actually... no he didn't... with the stock flat hood.

The same intake cleared under the '67 New Yorker and also a '72 Road Runner that I sold several years back, but the Charger has a lower hood and fenders.

.IMG_0640.jpg
.IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great looking Charger except for the rims. I was young when that style hit the streets and I didn't like them then! No offense, just my opinion.

Pretty much the same setup on my 78 NY'er and had plenty of hood clearance.

It sure would be nice to move the A/C compressor out of sight. Does somebody make a kit for that?

That's a great looking Charger except for the rims. I was young when that style hit the streets and I didn't like them then! No offense, just my opinion.

I can't be offended, it's not my car...

These wheels have been on this car almost as long as I have known the owner... Early 90's.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice to move the A/C compressor out of sight. Does somebody make a kit for that?
I recall a kit that mounts the compressor at the bottom, out of sight. Not sure if for BB or SB. I think it was from Bouchillon (check spelling). I recall they also sell power steering pump brackets, so maybe search for that too. It is probably just for an after-market Sanden compressor which most hot rodders use.

Back