Magical thinking...and Homeland Security

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I try to fit driving the NYB to work into my schedule from time to time. It depends on my schedule and weather more than anything else. Friday was one of one of those mornings... "I'll feel better driving her, I have the time, etc". After starting her, I made mental note 1/4 tank= should be fine and enjoyed my drive to work.

I was able to get out a bit early, so after a brief warmup, back on the road to home... old cassette tape collection from the 80's listening to the Scorpions and cruising was a very nice flashback in time for me. My 8track adapter has been $10 well spent, sometimes when I get it all lined up well, it sounds really good.

Then... gave a little throttle to her and she didn't respond... crap. Immediately I was knocked back out of my little fantasy world of grinning my whole way home... I knew I was out of gas. I had last filled her just before Bill and I went to Daytona, and it was then I had made a mental note that she took a lot of fuel for 1/4 tank... I should watch this. I drove her to work Tuesday as well and now remember I had a 1/4 tank then too... both ways I imagine. Crap!

I wonder when I allowed myself to enjoy the kind of magical thinking and selective memory I have so little tolerance for from others or myself. It's not like I've never seen a fuel sender fail and give false readings before and it's not like I didn't notice... just caught up in the moment and allowed myself to forget. BTW, I was going to refuel when I got closer to home, at the Wawa that sells non-ethanol, but after my trip to Lowes for weekend task supplies.

Here I am in the left lane on a divided 4 lane, doing close to 50 (posted 40) and she isn't getting enough fuel to accelerate. As I slowly lose speed traffic passes and I make it to the right lane before I'm a serious impedance in the road. Now I was hoping to make the next turnoff, whatever it was, because in this area on this road the traffic gets kinda nuts as it picks up for rush hour. Lots of trucks, lots of cars and speeds ranging from 30 to 80. Yea, a turn off... I'm in neutral by now and down around 10 or so MPH, 4ways on. I take the right, I make it all the way down the drive and park nice and straight in a spot between a couple of vans while 2 guys watch me come in.

As I get out of the car I release the hood and one of the guys says "nice car". "Thanks, I think I'm out of gas, can I leave it here while I go get some?" "We don't work here, there's a lady behind the bullet proof glass inside." That's when I notice the A/C company logo on their shirts and vans. I turn around and I am at the Homeland Security, TSA building... everything is fenced and razor wired... cool, I guess I should check in before abandoning my car here. I go in, explain myself through the glass and am asked for my ID. I gave her my license and she goes back and talks to someone in an office I can't see. When she returns she tells me "You have a star on your license, it will be ok to leave your car."

As I walked to the gas station and back about another mile or so down the road... nice day, sunny and warm with a good breeze... I kept smiling and think about how fortunate it was I just got my license replaced in December to the one with the star. That and I also wondered WTF they would have done if I didn't have the star? It's not like I am going to be able to push the big girl off their property.

I suppose if there is a moral to my story, it would be to get the star on your drivers license... you never know where you may get to break down.:) That or don't be an idiot like me and forget all those valuable mental notes you make about your car before taking the next trip.:rolleyes:

I take it that in Florida the star on your licence stands for Veteran. They have the same basic thing in Indiana except we use a "V". Glad things worked out for you, good things do happen to good people. Also thanks for your service.

Interesting story. Both of my cars only read just over 3/4s after fill up. They both have had sending units replaced and are likely reading zero when there's a bit of gas left. I think of it as an insurance policy against running out of gas ;) As a non veteran Canadian I'll make note of your comments since there is a road trip with the Polara to Yellowstone on my bucket list. Thanks.

When I fill up, the needle gets pegged out of sight and stays there forever. Then the descent from full to 1/3 is rapid. Right after that, the red light comes on when making turns and driving on inclines. By 1/4 tank, I am S.O.ofL.
I have a NOS guage on the bench waiting to go in (there's an NOS guage in there now). I'll give it another shot and after that it's fuggit. Just waiting for my back to cooperate.

FWIW...
Screenshot_2017-01-22-11-18-02-326.jpeg

The Gold Star isn't because you're a Vet. Just that you had the right docs when you renewed your license. You are government approved. lol

Last edited:
I take it that in Florida the star on your licence stands for Veteran. They have the same basic thing in Indiana except we use a "V". Glad things worked out for you, good things do happen to good people. Also thanks for your service.
Oops, no, I failed the physical... no military background here. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear... gold star= "Real ID" here's the Homeland Security FAQ page...
Real ID Public FAQs | Homeland Security
Interesting story. Both of my cars only read just over 3/4s after fill up. They both have had sending units replaced and are likely reading zero when there's a bit of gas left. I think of it as an insurance policy against running out of gas ;) As a non veteran Canadian I'll make note of your comments since there is a road trip with the Polara to Yellowstone on my bucket list. Thanks.
I still can't put my head around the need of a passport to travel between USA and Canada... I guess they really are separate countries.
When I fill up, the needle gets pegged out of sight and stays there forever. Then the descent from full to 1/3 is rapid. Right after that, the red light comes on when making turns and driving on inclines. By 1/4 tank, I am S.O.ofL.
I have a NOS guage on the bench waiting to go in (there's an NOS guage in there now). I'll give it another shot and after that it's fuggit. Just waiting for my back to cooperate.

FWIW...
View attachment 113130

The Gold Star isn't because you're a Vet. Just that you had the right docs when you renewed your license. You are government approved. lol
My light never came on these last 2 fill ups, but I know it worked before that... this would usually be a sender problem. While they always could fail this way, ethanol fuel is known to increase the failures significantly. Thank for adding the "Real ID" clarification... big miss on my part. They say you'll need a passport to fly domestically without it this year.

Last edited:
At less than 9 mpg, it's a moot point for me. I just stop at every gas station. I either have to fill up or pee. One or the other...

I am surprised it runs as well as it does and wish I had had more time I would has gotten bigger rings and fitted but f$-& it when it starts using oil I'm redoing it as a 451 next time.

For years I counted miles on a car without a trip odometer and never ran out, my first car and I had no money.
I have ran out more in cars with warning lights.

Alan

Back