Mail order upholstery?

Rustyrodknocker

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there that can sew up seat covers from a pattern and mail them out?

I'm looking to redo the seats in my 65 Newport.
I would tackle the install. I don't really care about the original material. I'm just going to do them in the general style.

Ill give Legendary a call. I looked over their site and did not see the upholstery.

I did find covers for my coronet. I'm going to get those while I can even thought I'm not in a hurry for that.

I bought some custom covers from these guys for a '53 Chrysler a number of years ago. The quality was good and they looked great when I was done. They won't be close to what the factory did though...

Automotive Interiors | Online Restoration Shop

It was a while ago, and things may have changed, but it's worth a call.

I bought some custom covers from these guys for a '53 Chrysler a number of years ago. The quality was good and they looked great when I was done. They won't be close to what the factory did though...

Automotive Interiors | Online Restoration Shop

It was a while ago, and things may have changed, but it's worth a call.
Thanks John Ill give them a call too. I'm not real worried about originality. I just dont want something that jumps out at you when you open the door.
The interior is in real fair shape other than the seat bottoms have been recovered in plain vinyl and re worn out. It's an original paint car with the patina of a well used car....

20210314_115203.jpg

20210314_115036.jpg

20210314_115030.jpg

20210314_115017.jpg

20210314_115010.jpg

Thanks John Ill give them a call too. I'm not real worried about originality. I just dont want something that jumps out at you when you open the door.
The interior is in real fair shape other than the seat bottoms have been recovered in plain vinyl and re worn out. It's an original paint car with the patina of a well used car....

View attachment 512995

View attachment 512996

View attachment 512997

View attachment 512998

View attachment 512999
Rear seat installed. I got tweed and vinyl covers.

UZeRhOg.jpg

Just talked to Rick at Legendary, No covers for the Newport.

I may talk to a local guy. Reviews are pretty much the same for all. People are happy with then product if you can ever get done. upholstery jail....

I'm actually considering buying a machine and making a go of it. My Mother in law did auto seats at a shop years ago. Like more than 30 years, probably 40 actually like 50. But she can do most anything in my experience.

Layout has been part of my craft for 25 years and machines have been the center of my life since I was 9. If I put the two together maybe I can makes something that looks good under my ***.

Good Morning
You won't find 'made to order' seat upholstery for a 4 door sedan.
I ended up getting some material from SMS to repair the front seat bottom of the '65 party barge.
SMS is not the cheapest and there wait times are looong. The rear seat was in great shape so I was looking to match it.

Party Barge as purchased:
1965-chrysler-newport (4).jpg

Front seat:
1965-chrysler-newport (27).jpg

Rear seat:
1965-chrysler-newport (25).jpg

Haven't got it back from the upholster yet. Pics will come when I get it reinstalled.
Omni

Good Morning
You won't find 'made to order' seat upholstery for a 4 door sedan.
I ended up getting some material from SMS to repair the front seat bottom of the '65 party barge.
SMS is not the cheapest and there wait times are looong. The rear seat was in great shape so I was looking to match it.

Party Barge as purchased:
View attachment 513869

Front seat:
View attachment 513870
Rear seat:
View attachment 513871

Haven't got it back from the upholster yet. Pics will come when I get it reinstalled.
Omni

I really don't want to deal with SMS on this one one but.. I have to ask. How much was the correct material? Mines the same pinstripe but in blue so maybe close in cost.

Here is the invoice (I hope):
Well apparently I cannot upload a pdf file, so I will break it down.
2 yds of material $149.00/yd
14 yds of windlace $18.00/yd

Attachments

• Invoice (1).pdf
    83.7 KB · Views: 123
That's not terrible but I'm not waiting. They are only about 30 minutes away though . I dont know what takes so long. It sounds like they have the material in stock.

I dont know what takes so long. It sounds like they have the material in stock.

Good Morning
The 'Covid card' gets played a lot.....also there seems to be a disconnect between sales and shipping.
Ordered in June, shows up in October...
In our 'new normal' you need to plan 1 year out.
Omni

My upholster ordered leather skins from SMS for the interior of a late fifties Imperial ragtop.
His order was over a year old before he received what he needed.

I'm actually considering buying a machine and making a go of it. My Mother in law did auto seats at a shop years ago. Like more than 30 years, probably 40 actually like 50. But she can do most anything in my experience.

Layout has been part of my craft for 25 years and machines have been the center of my life since I was 9. If I put the two together maybe I can makes something that looks good under my ***.
If you take your time to study the construction it can be done. I tackled mine with this machine I bought of e-bay for $300? 15 years ago. I cut out my mother in law’s sewing cabinet to make it fit. There were times I wished it would raise higher but it worked even though all the padding.

Epic 68 Polara bench seat rebuild for originality

image.jpg

I got an upgrade for Christmas. My old machine may be up for sale. I don’t really need two.

image.jpg

Back