Main E-brake cable length...

thrashingcows

Reaction score
I need to replace my main e-brake cable in the wagon. From the foot pedal back to the two rear axle park brake cables. Now does the wagon use a different length cable then the other 68 chryslers?

Thank you for your help.

Just after I posted this I thought to myself...Bet I could find the wheel base dimensions in my FSM. Well sure enough the wagon is the shortest of the Chrysler fleet in 1968. It had a wheel base of 121.5" compared withe the 124" used on the newport, 300 and New yorker.

But does anyone know for sure if a main e-brake cable from a newport, 300, new yorker would still work?

When I waz building the Batwagon I took a few liberties and changed ah bit of stuff like the transmission tail shaft and the entire rear axle that required me to start over with the E-brake set up. What I found was that changing the end where the cable attached to the brake peddle ratchet, it waz a bolt on-bolt in going from a '61 T&C to an NOS '88 Dodge Maxi Van straight from Mothers partz counter. I took seriously after hearing it from ah wise old man early in my life that necessity really iz the mother of invention! I'd say go forth and play Mr. Thrashingcows, Jer

I'll be happy to help.... I need to know which model car are we talking about.....
a 1968 what -- Chrysler Newport, a Plymouth Fury, etc.......
There's no mention in my initial statement about "selling anything" -- is there,
68Plymouth383??????????????????

YO, Thrasingcows kind sir. Any chance you live within striking distance of a Marina or Marine supply place? I'm thinkin' a place where they can, will, and do make up beautiful S.S. linez of the right diameter to their customerz measurementz with bullet proof knobz swaged on the endz FOR CHEAP.(Sail boat rigging stuff that all those placez R&R and fab as needed) Take your old cable with you and come back with new shiny stuff that'll stay shiny. I already told yeah 'bout necessity bein' ah mother. Soooo, go skin another cat! Jer

YO, Thrasingcows kind sir. Any chance you live within striking distance of a Marina or Marine supply place? I'm thinkin' a place where they can, will, and do make up beautiful S.S. linez of the right diameter to their customerz measurementz with bullet proof knobz swaged on the endz FOR CHEAP.(Sail boat rigging stuff that all those placez R&R and fab as needed) Take your old cable with you and come back with new shiny stuff that'll stay shiny. I already told yeah 'bout necessity bein' ah mother. Soooo, go skin another cat! Jer

Thanks Jer...will look into it.

I did look -- I do not have a # 2441 -- but I do have a couple people to call -- who may indeed have 1 N.O.S. -- absolutely factory correct -- no "mickey mousing" // no "rube goldberging" etc. etc.....

Let me know if you want me to give them a holler.....

Yo Mobileparts. Just an FYI my friend. 'Til I waz 15 or so I thought my true name waz "DAMMITJERRY" but from that time on I knew it waz either Jerry or Jer to my friendz and I've carried that with me for another 60 yearz. Over the course of those 75+ yearz I've learned how to do ah bunch ah **** to make impossible thingz happen and make 'um look like the factory turned 'um out. Bailing wire, coat hangerz, MT canz, and duct tape have no place in my pole Barn and I don't do thingz half ***. I can fabricate almost anything I need to and if I find something that's beyond my skill level, I damn sure can sit down and draw the blue print and know someone within an hour or so from me who will machine my design from my blue prints. I would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to do ah little home work before you start referring to some one you've never met and have no clue what talents that individual might possess as Mickey Mouse and Rube Goldberg. I stand by what I told Mr Thrashingcows about the quality and strength of fabricated stainless Steel sail boat rigging as a possible alternative to solving his problem. So can we now get past this little communication hiccup and be friendz?

According to the Parts book, the Chrysler wagon uses the same cable as the Polara/Monaco. I believe all the C body wagons used the Dodge wheelbase.

All the Dodge body styles plus the Plymouth/Chrysler wagons use the middle size cable. The Fury sedans use a shorter one, and the Chrysler sedans use a longer one.

All the Dodge body styles plus the Plymouth/Chrysler wagons use the middle size cable. The Fury sedans use a shorter one, and the Chrysler sedans use a longer one.

Thank you very much for that info....it opens up a whole lot more possibilities!

Back