Maybe I can help?

I don't have a foundry ready yet, I got rid of all my casting materials when I stopped making bullets. I keep thinking about it, and it might not even be beneficial to involve the 3D printer, if I have an original part. I could just make a mold of that part in rubber or silicone, then fill said mold with wax. Take wax replica and do any "repairs" then coat the wax in plaster, heat it to displace the wax and have a pourable mold, fill with the molten bronze, do any tiny touch ups it needs, polish and it's ready for chrome (and paint where applicable.)

Maybe I wouldn't be saving people any headaches, since the average person could do this in their garage...

But I can always print more of these!

View attachment 323503
So is that a hard no?:lol:

I think this would work for the 66 taillight bezel, and a guy with a 3D printer :poke:

Screenshot_20191017-132242_Chrome.jpg

High Quality Vacuum Metalizing & PVD Sputtering Services

I think this would work for the 66 taillight bezel, and a guy with a 3D printer :poke:

View attachment 323549

High Quality Vacuum Metalizing & PVD Sputtering Services

The problem with using a 3D Print as a base to be coated is that the prints usually aren't super durable. (At least when printed in PLA, which is the easiest to print.) Just ask @detmatt about losing fingers in postage...

For something like that, it would have to be printed in a more furable material, like PETG which is a bit more of a challenge. I'd have to enclose my printing rack to maintain higher temperatures, and turn up the print temperature. After printing, it would have to be sanded and primed before being sent to that Iron Lung for the coating, and still would only be as durable as the plasti-chrome stuff on the grille of your neighbors Kia.

Last edited:
I have three trim pieces that I'd love to see re-popped for Medina, my '71 Monaco.

1: the badge that the dealer screwed into her trunk lid. The pot metal is not in great shape and may well disintegrate by the time when I have the car repainted (likely in Spring 2021) or at the time of the paint job. It's part of the car's history, so I'd like to save it if possible. FWIW, member @hergfest owns a '64 Polara 500 'vert sporting the same badge.

img_2152_cut-png.png

2: the fender crest and wreath that missing on each side of Medina's rear fenders. They are seen below in a photo of a similar '71 Monaco owned by @saforwardlook. Thanks to @Bill Watson, I have learned that the part number for the medallion is 3568596 (neither of us could find anything about the laurel wreath). In my experience, originals are very hard to find. Luckily, over Christmas, I got original spares thanks to @71Polara383 -- but he tells me that they are fragile glued-on pieces (and prone to breaking in the removal/installation process). Accordingly, until I have Medina repainted, I'd like to get repops that Wyatt and I could install and that I would not be afraid of breaking.

2019-01-31-05-52-57-jpg.jpg

@BLUPORT and @Zymurgy -- what say you? I would be fine with 3-D plastic pieces that I could then paint in the right metallic paint finish, or that are "metallized" in some other way as per @Big_John's suggestion.

Last edited:
Personally, I can't stand when the dealers sodomized a car with their badge, especially if they drilled into the body. Big Red had one from some outfit in Vineland NJ. First thing that came off when I got home.

License plate frames are bad enough. Don't drill any holes in my car you bastards!:rofl:

Personally, I can't stand when the dealers sodomized a car with their badge, especially if they drilled into the body. Big Red had one from some outfit in Vineland NJ. First thing that came off when I got home.

License plate frames are bad enough. Don't drill any holes in my car you bastards!:rofl:
I love my dealer emblem on my Monaco, it's led me to a search to find any info from the dealer, which has turned into a pain in the ***! Closed long ago, no pictures that I've found with any signage, but I got a matchbook cover. It will go back on the car when it gets restored. The emblem is way better than any runner titty on a '73 Imperial. (I'd keep those too)

Sorry can't really help, items need to be nearly perfect for me to reproduce, and there needs to be a demand by others too. One offs are just too expensive to make.

I have three trim pieces that I'd love to see re-popped for Medina, my '71 Monaco.

1: the badge that the dealer screwed into her trunk lid. The pot metal is not in great shape and may well disintegrate by the time when I have the car repainted (likely in Spring 2021) or at the time of the paint job. It's part of the car's history, so I'd like to save it if possible. FWIW, member @hergfest owns a '64 Polara 500 'vert sporting the same badge.

View attachment 340717

2: the fender crest and wreath that missing on each side of Medina's rear fenders. They are seen below in a photo of a similar '71 Monaco owned by @saforwardlook. Thanks to @Bill Watson, I have learned that the part number for the medallion is 3568596 (neither of us could find anything about the laurel wreath). In my experience, originals are very hard to find. Luckily, over Christmas, I got original spares thanks to @71Polara383 -- but he tells me that they are fragile glued-on pieces (and prone to breaking in the removal/installation process). Accordingly, until I have Medina repainted, I'd like to get repops that Wyatt and I could install and that I would not be afraid of breaking.

View attachment 340718

@BLUPORT and @Zymurgy -- what say you? I would be fine with 3-D plastic pieces that I could then paint in the right metallic paint finish, or that are "metallized" in some other way as per @Big_John's suggestion.
A guy on FABO made molds of the emblems, then cast them in nickel iirc, polished them up and they looked great.

A guy on FABO made molds of the emblems, then cast them in nickel iirc, polished them up and they looked great.

These specific ones, or some others? Do you have a link or reference?

View attachment 340717

View attachment 340718

Lost wax casting using brass.

The downside is the new emblem will be just a little smaller than the original due to metal shrinkage. If the right brass is used, you don't have to copper plate before the nickel and chrome layers.

With that dealer emblem, I would be tempted to try to repair it with epoxy filler (like Milliput) and either cast a new one in plastic or even just bolt the repaired one back on. Some good "chrome" type spray paint won't really look like chrome, but it will look like the crappy plating the original emblem once had. That's just a thought.

I always thought this dealer emblem that was on the back of my '53 was pretty cool.
1cewOec.jpg

The emblem is way better than any runner titty on a '73 Imperial. (I'd keep those too)

They are both POS. The name plates and those rubber abortions that some proport to be stylish. Neither belong on a car.

I could give two shits about the dealer that probably raped the PO when he bought it. It takes a lot of balls to drill holes and screw your dealer name on some one else's car. Especially back then when cars were prone to rust.

View attachment 340717

View attachment 340718

If I can get a 3D model of it, I can print it. I'm sure the dealer logo is nonexistent, but the fender badge I can look for. My printers have been sitting idle for a while, I've been battling some demons lately, and haven't bothered to even attempt a print in weeks.

They are both POS. The name plates and those rubber abortions that some proport to be stylish. Neither belong on a car.

I could give two shits about the dealer that probably raped the PO when he bought it. It takes a lot of balls to drill holes and screw your dealer name on some one else's car. Especially back then when cars were prone to rust.
I look at it as part of the car, and it's history. If it's still attached to the trunk after 50 years, I'm leaving it on.

I look at it as part of the car, and it's history. If it's still attached to the trunk after 50 years, I'm leaving it on.
One more badge to wash and wax around. Great! Just what you need. Make sure it's one with a lot of "T's", "E's" and "W's" so you can spend another 1/2 half hour cleaning around it. :rofl:

Maybe you guys will change your tune after you spend $8-10k on a paint job, then we'll see if you start drilling extra holes or gluing dumbass dealer badges on top of it.
Find a spot to glue them in the trunk or glue them to the spare tire cover.

Maybe you guys will change your tune after you spend $8-10k on a paint job, then we'll see if you start drilling extra holes
No need, they are already there. 8-10k? It pays to know people who do side jobs!

It's got the W and a T, and some I's too!

IMG_20180731_101340~2.jpg

Back