Meet Buttercup, a 1972 New Yorker Brougham 2-door Hardtop

As I reported last December, the elderly previous owner passed away on Feb. 19, 2021 -- before I had a chance to meet him. His daughter-in-law, however, put me in touch with the person from whom the car was acquired. Here is the first page of the parts records that he kept for the car, showing that he had acquired this New Yorker Brougham from NJ in August 1999:

Weather permitting, I will be meeting him later this month. Meanwhile, here is a 2009 sticker of the Tri State Car Club of Middletown, NY that I found in the glove box. The Club closed its doors in 2016.

That's awesome that you're in contact with the car's previous owners/family members. I believe that it is important to know the history of the car when possible, because without the people, there would be no car.

I was successful in tracing the lineage of my previous '73 NY back to the original family that owned it, but hit a brick wall because there was some sour grapes over how it was sold after the owner passed away.

Both power seat hinge covers were present and attached when I got the car, but driver-side's fastening points finally broke this fall. Accordingly, I just purchased a replacement from ABC Moparts (photo from their website attached). I will need to transfer the chrome edge from the original cover to the new one.

View attachment 570449
That would be very doable as part of our list of repairs for the spring. You already have your old cover there so transplanting whatever trim necessary should be pretty easy to do.

Happy 51st birthday, Buttercup!

IMG_7305 anon.jpg

Yeah, I was going to say something derogatory about that otherwise outstanding photograph, but thought better of it (surprisingly). I love the industrial setting and lighting of the parking garage, but that bank of meters.........looks like 24 headlights back there. :(

Buttercup deserves better. WE deserve better! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was going to say something derogatory about that otherwise outstanding photograph, but thought better of it (surprisingly). I love the industrial setting and lighting of the parking garage, but that bank of meters.........looks like 24 headlights back there. :(

Buttercup deserves better. WE deserve better! :thumbsup:
He's converting it to electric, stay tuned!

@Trace 300 Hurst @Samplingman @LocuMob -- this is just the most recent photo of Buttercup. I took it in a garage near my office, where I had parked her ahead of an expected visit by @73 New Yorker last month. I picked that spot, near the electric meters, so that she would be protected by the big yellow metal pole behind BC: folks walking on the sidewalk behind the parking spots stay well away from the pole and, hence, from possibly nicking her beautiful/bountiful rump.

@marty koirtyohann — either you must delete some of the conversations in your private conversations inbox, or you must choose to become a gold member. I became a gold member in part to support the site and in part to keep more conversations without needing to delete any.

Back