Meet Buttercup, a 1972 New Yorker Brougham 2-door Hardtop

Uh oh, time to get back to our family-friendly regular programming...

Here are a few photos of Buttercup being enjoyed/exercised by her previous owner, cruising around with the Minisink Valley Cruisers between 2005 and 2013. I like to know about the history of my cars :)

11280003.jpg

100_7304.jpg

100_7264.jpg

100_7113.jpg

100_5676.jpg

100_5490.jpg

100_4054.jpg

100_3580.jpg

There is nothing more boring than people using all the time worn junk accessories sold by all the fast buck vendors to liven up their ride. Seeing an original un-messed with Fuselage is what is interesting and rare.

And Ayilar is smart enough to know how to retain the value of the car and keep it stock - white walls and all...................he just needs some proper center caps for the wheels now.................

There is nothing more boring than people using all the time worn junk accessories sold by all the fast buck vendors to liven up their ride. Seeing an original un-messed with Fuselage is what is interesting and rare.

And Ayilar is smart enough to know how to retain the value of the car and keep it stock - white walls and all...................he just needs some proper center caps for the wheels now.................

Well, yeah. . . But a pair of cruiser skirts would definitely look great on those rear quarters. . .

-DqCv-pxupY5EtVGN7kjzYUO_ym2ZohxLio-jV58g8I_aqZM26l3ebsYaasiH2nSUNlteXw5YDYpEvSv8EKE.jpg

..and curb feelers..
Michel knows I am kidding.
Just having some fun at his expense,LOL!
I am a purist to a certain extent with my 68 Newport.
But my 73 Satellite wagon? Different ball game!!

Oooo I could grind that ugly color off and paint the whole car white, including the bumpers too! That would look super sweet.:rolleyes:

Buttercup went to her first C-body show today: the 4th Midwest C-Body Show organized by @sixpkrt. Before heading out this morning, I posted a photo of her at Wyatt's shop together with her older cousins Medina and Elvira. Attached below is a photo that I took at the end of the afternoon, after putting one hundred or so miles on her clock going to and back from the Show (she's now just shy of 100,200 miles).

This was my first drive with the car. @71Polara383 and I had agreed that we'd just do the minimum necessary for her to drive safely before the Midwest show, so that each of us could get a base "reading" for the car -- and figure out from where we'd be improving her. So, all she had since being delivered a week or so ago were new tires (Hankook Optimo H724), a change of oil and oil filter, and that's it. Wyatt put several dozen miles on the car in the past week, during which he concluded that the spark plugs and plug wires were fine and that the brakes were great.

I concur! In short, she drives like a champ.

Of course, what this really means is that the car as it currently is will be a great starting point. @david hill, who went over the car, thinks that she can be brought back 100%, confirming what Wyatt and I thought.

The three of us agree that she needs new U-joints. I'll also replace the transmission mount while she's up on the lift (Wyatt has yet to see a single one that was not dry-rotted on any of the cars he's fixed in the past few years). Once that is done, hopefully all the vibrations will be gone -- otherwise, she'll be getting new engine mounts.

She also needs new shocks, as I experienced some pumping both of the times when I had to brake hard. Once the shocks are done, we can determine if the front end needs redone (idler arm, ball joints, etc.).

This said, the two key things that need done are the exhaust leak (we need her on a lift to figure out if the manifold is the issue, or if I will be getting off "easy") and the vinyl top (first, some minor rust needs fixing below the rear window, and once that is done then I will take her to get a new vinyl top in Indiana at a shop recommended by David). Buttercup will also be getting her driver's seat re-upholstered at that time -- the rest of the interior looks great, it just needs detailed.

IMG_2059.JPG

Last edited:
Back