Meet Snow White, my 1970 N-code Dodge Polara Convertible

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, folks, I finally got myself an N-code Polara 'vert. Snow White is a fair beauty with a black top, and she wears road wheels. A photo is included below, courtesy of seller @race city retro.

According to the documentation gathered in the past dozen years by folks on the Yahoo Board (most of the credits go to @kmccabe56 and @Bill Watson, with a supporting cast that included @Fratzog and @polara71), there were 842 Polara 'verts produced for MY1970. 695 were sold in the States: of the latter, a mere nineteen (19!) came out of the factory with a 383-4. Of the 144 'verts sold in Canada, none (0, zip) sported an "N" code engine. (Yes, I know, 144 and 695 make 839, not 842 -- I believe the other 3 were "Export-Import division built up units", Kevin will correct me if I am wrong).

I owe special thanks to @Yeahrightgreer and @71Polara383 for volunteering to travel and help to assess the car before purchase, and to @Ripinator for offering to help me pick it up (unfortunately, other commitments rule out my taking him up on this adventure :(). Working with the seller has been a pleasure.

The car should reach its destination in the coming days. Some work will then in order, so that she can make it to Volo, Carlisle, and the CATL next year (and, maybe, MoparFest and the Woodward Ave. Cruise as well). Here is the list that Wyatt will go through, given that what I want is a solid/exciting driver.

--> The interior seems in very good condition, with a couple of broken A/C vents and the steering wheel the only significant eyesores:
(1) Wyatt has the correct A/C vents;
(2) for the steering wheel, because I will go with RWL on this car (color-match with the road wheels inserts and the body), I may get a wood steering wheel;
(3) I need to find an R35 radio: the car apparently has an aftermarket unit...

--> Mechanically, other than get 5 new tires, the seller seems to have done most of what I’d want to do:
(i) the brakes need going through but I think the issue is that the seller may have bought the wrong booster from eBay. My plan is to have the original booster (which he kept, luckily) re-manufactured and then reinstall the original;
(ii) the radiator may need replaced, depending on whether the Spectra CU332 cools well.
(iii) the car needs an exhaust -- I could go back to Waldron’s, or maybe I'll go TTI this time?
(iv) of course oil / trans fluid / PS fluid changes (and the coolant if we change the radiator) are needed after all has been done.

--> Cosmetically, my plan is to:
(a) properly finish the outside paint job (it needs wet sanded and buffed);
(b) repaint the trunk, including the right spackle finish;
(c) check out the lower quarters for bondo (there is a bit) and fix what needs to be;
(d) once that is done, install the missing driver-side rear-wheel well trim;
(e) and I may change the bumpers as well, or have the originals re-plated.

Other than that, I don't think I should do anything to the top unless it turns out to be less than hermetic.

Any thoughts?

s-l160022.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad you ended up with this car. In my opinion, the 383-4 package is a truly enjoyable one to drive in everyday traffic and is just a lot of fun overall. The torquey feel off the line is unmatched and is very different than a 440 engine vehicle in feel - the 383 depends on the engine reaching its torque peak at higher RPMs through utilization of a higher stall torque converter while the 440 just uses its down lower rpm good torque with a low stall converter to give the vehicle its grunt. This is a perfect combination for your all around driving enjoyment. It is a real shame more customers didn't opt for that package - they missed out on a real gem of a powertrain. The difference in feel and performance between a 383-2 package and the 383-4 package is night and day.

And since you love convertibles, this combination is perfect for you. I hope you drive it many miles and smile all the way. I am sure you will and that Wyatt will help you get the Polara in very good shape soon.

You have a great schedule of trips ahead of you...................................................!

And I will look in my stash of radios to see if I have the proper R35 one for you. That is a rare option on those cars too.

Last edited:
Congratulations!Looks like a really nice car.I'll bet I am not the only one wishing that it was May already!

I liked this car a lot when listed as I looked at the ad several times. I believe it to have good bones, love those N codes.

Well, folks, I finally got myself an N-code Polara 'vert. Snow White is a fair beauty with a black top, and she wears road wheels. A photo is included below, courtesy of seller @race city retro.

According to the documentation gathered in the past dozen years by folks on the Yahoo Board (most of the credits go to @kmccabe56 and @Bill Watson, with a supporting cast that included @Fratzog and @polara71), there were 842 Polara 'verts produced for MY1970. 695 were sold in the States: of the latter, a mere nineteen (19!) came out of the factory with a 383-4. Of the 144 'verts sold in Canada, none (0, zip) sported an "N" code engine. (Yes, I know, 144 and 695 make 839, not 842 -- I believe the other 3 were "Export-Import division built up units", Kevin will correct me if I am wrong).

I owe special thanks to @Yeahrightgreer and @71Polara383 for volunteering to travel and help to assess the car before purchase, and to @Ripinator for offering to help me pick it up (unfortunately, other commitments rule out my taking him up on this adventure :(). Working with the seller has been a pleasure.

The car should reach its destination in the coming days. Some work will then in order, so that she can make it to Volo, Carlisle, and the CATL next year (and, maybe, MoparFest and the Woodward Ave. Cruise as well). Here is the list that Wyatt will go through, given that what I want is a solid/exciting driver.

--> The interior seems in very good condition, with a couple of broken A/C vents and the steering wheel the only significant eyesores:
(1) Wyatt has the correct A/C vents;
(2) for the steering wheel, because I will go with RWL on this car (color-match with the road wheels inserts and the body), I may get a wood steering wheel;
(3) I need to find an R35 radio: the car apparently has an aftermarket unit...

--> Mechanically, other than get 5 new tires, the seller seems to have done most of what I’d want to do:
(i) the brakes need going through but I think the issue is that the seller bought the wrong booster from eBay. My plan is to have the original booster (which he kept, luckily) re-manufactured and then you reinstall the original;
(ii) the radiator may need replaced, depending on whether the Spectra CU332 cools well.
(iii) the car needs an exhaust -- I could go back to Waldron’s, or maybe I'll go TTI this time?
(iv) of course oil / trans fluid / PS fluid changes (and the coolant if we change the radiator)

--> Cosmetically, my plan is to:
(a) properly finish the outside paint job (it needs wet sanded and buffed);
(b) repaint the trunk, including the right spackle finish;
(c) check out the lower quarters for bondo (there is a bit) and fix what needs to be;
(d) once that is done, install the missing driver-side rear-wheel well trim;
(e) and I may change the bumpers as well, or have the originals re-plated.

Other than that, I don't think I should do anything to the top unless it turns out to be less than hermetic.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 333019

Michel: I see The Disease has taken a firm hold on you. Way-ta-go! I can't wait to see this thing!

Congratulations! I'm so glad to see that sweet convertible wind up in good hands so it will lead a pampered life. In some way we all get to enjoy it. Have fun.

Back