Metal gold cad look.

That looks fantastic Ross.

Can you give a little more detail, like gold then, light fog of green, light fog or red, then light fog of gold, then clear, etc?

Thanks! What you said is exactly what I did. It was a while ago now, so I don't remember if I cleared it afterwards - if I did I would have used a satin clear.

The Eastwood kit is expensive for what it is: One medium size can of gold lacquer paint, and two small cans of transparent lacquer tints in red and green. You might want to check to see what you can find at a Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts to see if there's a cheaper alternative.

Jeff
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a Google search for both transparent and tint aerosol paint, and came up with nothing. Went to Michael's site and found stain glass paint from Krylon. It comes in both red and green, that should work perfectly and be easier to manipulate than a solid color. I discovered you can get it from Amazon too.

Screenshot_20210218-071508_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
i have no personal experience with them but they have at-home plating kits.
Caswell Inc
Never have bought any plating stuff, but have bought polishing supplies from them and been happy with the prices and quality.

I should take a ride once the Covid nonsense dies off, they are just up the thruway in Lyons.

Never have bought any plating stuff, but have bought polishing supplies from them and been happy with the prices and quality.

I should take a ride once the Covid nonsense dies off, they are just up the thruway in Lyons.

I bought their full-blown chrome plating kit about ten years ago because I was worried that the EPA might put an end to it some day. I really should get that set up and see what I can do with it. Might be able to make a few bucks plating small parts for people.

Jeff

Check this out

Just some questions from a wondering mind.
  1. Is he still married?
  2. Doesn't he know how to use of power tools/ tools in general? A hack saw to cut would.
  3. How about the screwdriver?
  4. Used cat litter for media...?
I got a great laugh out of this and inspiration for a tumbler. Easy as pie. I have most of it laying around the garage and wood shop already.

Last edited:
Just some questions from a wondering mind.
  1. Is he still married?
  2. Does it know the use of power tools/ tools in general? A hack saw to cut would.
  3. How about the screwdriver?
  4. Used cat litter for media...?
I got a great laugh out of this and inspiration for a tumbler. Easy as pie. I have most of it laying around the garage and wood shop already.

I got a chuckle too, that’s why I shared.

I bought their full-blown chrome plating kit about ten years ago because I was worried that the EPA might put an end to it some day. I really should get that set up and see what I can do with it. Might be able to make a few bucks plating small parts for people.

Jeff

I would seriously like to be able to chrome pot metal. I have spent a small fortune on what I have done already. Especially now being into the jukeboxes and Wallboxes too, every one needs the chrome re-done.

That is really cool. I like that it can be applied to anything. There are chrome finishes on plastics on many jukeboxes. No aerosol chrome paint can duplicate it
I remember watching an episode of Count's Kustoms where they did a lot of the chrome on a 56ish Cadillac, I believe. They also tinted the clear a green colour. I couldn't find that video, but did find one when they first got the equipment.

I would seriously like to be able to chrome pot metal. I have spent a small fortune on what I have done already. Especially now being into the jukeboxes and Wallboxes too, every one needs the chrome re-done.

Caswell has a special process for pot metal that avoids the cyanide gas issue found with the typical commercial process. The biggest obstacle is that the actual chrome plating process requires quite a bit of amperage, which means an expensive power supply, and there's a fine line between not enough plating going on and burning the plating. My understanding is it takes a lot of practice and experimentation to get things figured out. Caswell has a blog page, but last time I checked, 99% of the posts were about powder coating and there was almost no info at all about using the chrome plating kit, other than Caswell's own videos.

Jeff

Thanks again for the suggestion Jeff, I was driving right by a Michael's on my way home tonight. They had everything I needed including the gold and the lady at the register told me to bring up their site to save 20% with a coupon.

Out the door including tax was $20, a 1/3 of the cost of Eastwood kit with shipping. I thought well worth a shot. Plus I want to work on it tomorrow when I am working in my shop.

I will give a full review with pictures tomorrow. I have already prepped a piece and painted it with self etching primer, which I found out later is what Eastwood recommended too.

20210218_164233.jpg

Let's just say it's hard to capture the look in a photograph, but I'm very happy with it. The red and green paints are iridescent so they don't show up as well in the picture, but they really pull off the subtle effect. Looking one direction you see red another the green. I don't believe I will clear it but I might try it on a smaller piece to see if I like it.

20210219_164137.jpg
20210219_163852.jpg

Hard to see, but if you're pleased with it, that's the main thing.

If you do clear it, use a semi-gloss clear, NOT a gloss clear.

I noticed it is even harder to see the colors in the post, compared to straight from my phone. It is more subtle than the original so that would be more just my preference.

I think this weekend I may try to see if I can replicate on a scrap, a true representation of the original. I think I will keep my pieces more subtle, but just for anyone else, I'll find out if these translucent colors are strong enough to get the full effect.

I have never been a fan of gloss on any accessories. On Goldie everything powder coated and painted has been satin. I have a few cans of different aerosol clears I have tried resently. I think they may be all satin and one semi, no gloss for me. :)

Last edited:
By they way no compatibility issues. I used my favorite self-etching primer 7220 from NAPA, applied it the day before. The gold I applied in the morning then came back late afternoon and applied the colors. I doubt if I waited much more than 10 minutes between the colors. No more gold applied after color.

Back