Mexican B-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were too many unique Mopars in Australia to list here. In the late 50's, the Australian Chrysler Royal was basically the same basic body as a 53-54 American Dodge or Plymouth, but with front and rear fenders that somewhat resembled parts from a 56 Plymouth. The Dodge Phoenix started out like the American Dodge Dart Phoenix in 60-61. From 62-64 the Australian Dodge Phoenix was basically a 4 door American Dodge of the same vintage but with an upgraded interior. As mentioned before, starting in 65, the Australian Dodge Phoenix was basically a rebadged American Plymouth 4 door of the same model year.
It was the Australian Valiants that got real interesting. The 61-62 Australian Valiants were merely right hand drive versions of the American Valiants. From 63-66 (and into 67) the Australian Valiant 4 doors had their own body, but shared their front sheet metal with the American 63-66 Valiants. The Australian Valiant wagon bodies were the same as the US Valiant wagons. Starting in 65, the Australian Valiant line added the Wayfarer pickup to the line. It shared much of its sheet metal with the Valiant wagon.
In 67-68 a new A-body Australian Valiant replaced the old body, just as the A-body Valiants and Darts were redesigned for the 67 model year. The 67-68 Valiant VE series and VIP models had their own Australian designed bodies, but used the American 67 Dart's front sheet metal. While the station wagon body was dropped from the Dart and Valiant line in the US, it continued in Australia. That meant the Valiant VE wagon and Wayfarer Ute pickup, gave us a peek into what could have been had a station wagon A body and El Camino type pickup be offered in the US.
In 69 the front sheet metal was redesigned to make the entire Valiant line uniquely Australian. But, a 2 door hardtop was added to the line. The 2 door hardtop body was the American 69 hardtop Dart body, but with Australian sheet metal up front, it didn't look like anything we had in the US from the front.
The Valiant was completely redesigned for 72, and included 2 door hardtop, 4 door sedan, wagon, pickup, and shorter wheelbase Charger. Later, a panel van based on the Wayfarer Ute pickup was added to the line. The Valiants in Australia lasted until 1978.

Valiant Charger
1975_Dodge_Charger.jpg

68 Valiant VE Safari wagon
68Valiant_Safari1.jpg

1965 Valiant Wayfarer Ute
Chrysler_AP6_Valiant_Wayfarer_utility.JPG

1964 Dodge Phoenix
murrays64pheonix.jpg

Valiant Pacer hardtop and sedan
vgpacers.jpg

Valiant VIP

0.jpg

vc3.jpg
1966 Valiant

Last edited:
In South Africa, by the early 70's, the Valiant Charger had replaced the American 67-67 Barracuda (badged Valiant Barracuda in South Africa). and when the Australian Valiant was redesigned completely in the early 70's, South Africa assembled the Aussie Valiants as well.

5851947180_21e3516cb6_o.jpg

valiant-safari-premium.jpg
lineup.jpg

VJrange2.jpg

8124108205_88f0f21baf.jpg

chrysler-valiant-regal-06.jpg

Last edited:
This thread started in San Diego with a Dodge Coronet from a few miles south of there in Mexico. I feel I must now apologize for being largely responsible for taking this thread so far off topic that those who followed it got an unplanned tour around the world.

Now, can any of our Aussie members tell me if the tail lights on this Australian 1968 Dodge Phoenix are factory correct? I know the Phoenix 4 door hardtop had a higher level of trim than the 4 door post sedan, but this tail light arrangement doesn't look familiar (though I really like it). I'm guessing someone has just added an extra pair of tail lights to give it a bit of a custom look.
While you're looking, don't miss the late 40's Dodge pickup in the background with the "unibody" bed connected to the cab.

6336221792_f18f5ba346.jpg

Last edited:
Since we've already been to Spain on this tour with the Dodge 3700 GT, I thought the Dart would be worth mentioning as well. The 66 Dart 4 door sedan body lasted well into the early 70's in Spain.
dodgedartgt8.jpg

Don't apologize. This is awesome.
X2 ....... same here. This is fascinating.
The only problem I have now is where to find one of those Valiant "ute's"

Being a mopar car guy at a very young age, (back to the early 50's), and growing up in Detroit I am familure with the Dodge/Plymouth hybreds from Canada. It was not unusual to see them around Detroit and our family outtings into Ontario always revealed something new and exotic to see.

I NEED a 68 Valiant Safari Wagon and a 65 Valiant Wayfarer Ute!! Incredible variety from around the world. So these were actually made in Chrysler factories in other countries, not made in Detroit and exported?

Correct, they were actually made outside the USA through practices that are still being used today.

I want an Aussie 68 Valiant VE Wayfarer Ute or Safari wagon...or maybe both.

f784723c-947d-46e5-a5cf-a54957791847-lg.jpg
1968 Valiant VE Wayfarer

chrysler-valiant-ute-04.jpg

1.jpg

petes77vk1.jpg
pauls77cl01.jpg

1977-78

austra6.jpg
Drifter Panel Van

1966-chrysler-valiant-vc-wayfarer-utility.jpg

Last edited:
I love this .............. Do you think that front bumper came painted...? Why would someone do that on such a nice restro....?

5279722780_2bf0467521.jpg

I love this .............. Do you think that front bumper came painted...? Why would someone do that on such a nice restro....?

One of these used to attend the Chrysler show at Carlisle. It was a faded beige color and was clearly a survivor with a well worn patina on it. The bumpers were chrome, not painted. I don't recall the one at Carlisle attracting much attention. Maybe that's why it hasn't been there in years. I'm sure the bright yellow color on the one in the picture would not have been an original color option.
There are a few Aussie Mopars in the US. A couple years ago, the brown 68 Valiant VE wagon was for sale on Craigslist in Georgia. The same owner had a blue 65 Valiant Wayfarer pickup. Both had attended the Mopar Nats 10 or 15 years ago, as well as a 68 Valiant Wayfarer Ute. I've seen a few Valiant Chargers at the Mopar Nats and the Spring Fling Mopar show in California. I've seen a 69 Valiant Ute at Carlisle about 10 years ago, and two years ago a 1970 Valiant VIP 4 door was on the show field at Carlisle. At Spring Fling I've also once saw an Aussie 1970 Valiant 2 door hardtop.
What I, personally have never seen at any shows are the Mexican Coronets and late 60's Mexican Valiant hardtops, or the Dodge GTX or Polara RT from Argentina, or the Brazilian Chargers. I would like to see some of those make it to the US. The only old Mopar I've seen from south of the border was a Mexican 68 Dart GTS at the Spring Fling Mopar show in California. (I don't count that my 96 Dodge Ram was built in Mexico)

Last edited:
Next stop on the world tour is the UK.
In 1966, Chrysler bought the Rootes Group, makers of the Sunbeam, Hillman, and Humber cars. Starting late in the 66 model year, Rootes started assembling right hand drive A-body Mopars ( Aussie Valiants and American Barracudas with Aussie right hand drive components). The right hand drive Aussie Valiants replaced the discontinued Humber cars. Humber Super Snipes were larger than most British sedans and were considered to be rather luxurious and sturdy. The 67-69 Barracudas were also assembled by Rootes with the bodies shipped from the US and the right hand drive components coming from Australia (same thing was done in the 60's in South Africa with Barracuda, Valiant and Dart bodies). By the early 70's, Rootes was assembling the Aussie Chargers, Aussie Valiants, and Aussie Chryslers. That means, some Aussie Mopars might be found in the UK, for those who are looking.
Of course, that meant cars like the Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger (already in production for years), got the Chrysler Pentastar on the front fender. Chrysler was in the uncomfortable position of selling, servicing and providing the warranty on the Sunbeam Tiger, which came with a Ford small block under the hood. The Chrysler small block wouldn't fit because the distributor at the back of the engine wouldn't clear the fire wall.
That is why, you quite possibly could see a Sunbeam Tiger at either a Mopar show or a Ford show. That's also how we ended up in the US with the 1971-1973 Plymouth Crickets, which were re-badged Hillman Avengers.

image.php
Plymouth-Cricket-2.jpg

Last edited:
Heres an ad for a right hand drive 1962 Desoto possibly from South Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back