Mikes 68 300

Mike Browne

Reaction score
I will start my 300 project here. The first thing I would like to do is decode my fender tag.
12345678 AX TRM PNT U8S
4 0 8 1 M5X AA1 8B
CM23 81 5 63 A29 180314

68 300.jpg

Last edited:
First, that a very nice 300.

mymopar.com is a good place to start but remember that it's not always correct. Your interpretation of the fender tag may be off because spacing is everything on fender tags prior to 1969. Here's what I got from mymopar.com by guessing the spacing on what you entered. A pic of your fender tag would be very helpful.
upload_2016-11-13_5-45-11.png

First, that a very nice 300.

mymopar.com is a good place to start but remember that it's not always correct. Your interpretation of the fender tag may be off because spacing is everything on fender tags prior to 1969. Here's what I got from mymopar.com by guessing the spacing on what you entered. A pic of your fender tag would be very helpful.
View attachment 103850
Thank you, I will take a picture today. I was hoping the correct paint was silver. The repaint is a shade off of original but vary close. I don't think it had a black stripe do you?

Yep, they were pin stripes just below the belt line.

As DetMatt said, the pinstripe is almost certainly correct. Higher end cars of this era almost always had a pinstripe. The 300 owners will certainly be able to help you more, I'm sure.

As I said, mymopar.com is a great place to start but the decoding tools are not perfect. I would question the OTHER: line in the decoding above. Neither sounds right to me. I don't believe any 300 other then the Hurst/300 had any special graphics.

A common issue with 69-73? decoding on this site is that it decodes the D32 trans as a 727HD when the D32 was the standard duty, D34 was the HD, just as an example. Properly decoding a car is difficult because there is so much misinformation out there. If you can find a build sheet, that will help you a lot.

Good Luck!

Yes I hope to find a build sheet. Any one know if there is a build sheet hidden in the car? Also can't find the relay for the headlight door motor. I fix the motor but have no power to the motor plug.

Most likely place for the buildsheet would be in the springs of the rear seat back. Have you got a factory service manual for the car yet? It may not tell you where the relay is but it will tell you where the wiring originates from and what color the wires are so you can chase it down.

Most likely place for the buildsheet would be in the springs of the rear seat back. Have you got a factory service manual for the car yet? It may not tell you where the relay is but it will tell you where the wiring originates from and what color the wires are so you can chase it down.
Yes I do have a factory manual and it is next to the heat lever. Can not see it or a way to get to it if it is there. I have no power to the motor plug lights on or off. The motor works.

Back