Mini starter installation

cbarge

World Famous Barge in a Budget
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
There has been other threads about this..but no pics--until now!
Will show a few tips and tricks along the way.
20210909_173435.jpg

Here is a comparison shot of the chunky gear reduction starter and the el cheapo Reman Wilson $100.00 mini..
20210909_175501.jpg

On La Chrysler, the positive battery cable had to be retired after 300,000 miles and 55 years of service.
National Moparts had a repop in stock.
20210909_173337.jpg

Keep in mind you will need a couple metric wrenches for the new starter. 13mm for battery stud and 8mm for solenoid nut.
20210909_175322.jpg

I had to open up the solenoid connection to slide down on the stud.
I used a chainsaw file till it slides on down.
20210909_173844_Burst01.jpg

20210909_173918.jpg

I set the battery cable in place and attached it to starter relay.
Tip:
Depending on your set up ( headers, factory or TTi pipes) I found it easier to hook up the wires before bolting on the starter.
Having the starter loose on bottom stud gave enough wiggle room.
Given the location of the terminals and phat phingers, having the starter loose helps connect the terminals.
Notice new frost plug which snowballed into everything else mentioned here lol
20210909_185844.jpg

The TTi system was installed 2014.
The front pipes were almost touching the factory starter.
The Mini has more clearance and the wires are far enough away from the front pipe.
20210909_185916.jpg

20210909_185833.jpg
20210909_185938_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
The patient..
New starter twists the 383 over with no effort.
Hope you enjoyed this..
20210909_175946_Burst01.jpg

Another episode of "today I learned"
Turns out that I already have a mini starter on mine after comparing your pictures.

I thought that I've seen before that the terminals have to be relocated to fit on big block. Or did you get one for a specific vehicle to avoid the clearance issues?
#2.
Yeah early 90's starter is a bolt in affair.
I could still relocate the terminals but no real need to do so.
Cheers

Last edited:
I thought that I've seen before that the terminals have to be relocated to fit on big block. Or did you get one for a specific vehicle to avoid the clearance issues?
When I bought a mini starter I asked for one from a mid-90s Dodge pickup. It was the same as the one Leaburn shows.

The terminals wind-up sandwiched between the starter and the engine block, as Leaburn mentions. The terminal relocation kits that you can buy move them to the back of the starter, which is more convenient but not necessary. The most important thing is to remove the terminal block with the black plastic cover that comes with the starter. It won't fit with that on there.

#2.
Yeah early 80's starter is a bolt in affair.
I could still relocate the terminals but no real need to do so.
Cheers

When I bought a mini starter I asked for one from a mid-90s Dodge pickup. It was the same as the one Leaburn shows.

The terminals wind-up sandwiched between the starter and the engine block, as Leaburn mentions. The terminal relocation kits that you can buy move them to the back of the starter, which is more convenient but not necessary. The most important thing is to remove the terminal block with the black plastic cover that comes with the starter. It won't fit with that on there.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Thanks for the clarifications.
You're welcome. It turns out I was mistaken about one thing: I see that Leaburn actually left the black terminal block on the starter. I removed it before even attempting to install mine, because many people complained that it makes it more difficult or impossible to install on a big block. It doesn't look so bad in his pictures.

You're welcome. It turns out I was mistaken about one thing: I see that Leaburn actually left the black terminal block on the starter. I removed it before even attempting to install mine, because many people complained that it makes it more difficult or impossible to install on a big block. It doesn't look so bad in his pictures.
On the Boab I did not grind the tab that hits against the block.
On Rene's car I did give the plastic a wee touch with a angle grinder.
I guess it depends who the manufacturer or reman is.

The OP mentioned that he connected the wires/cables before he bolted in the starter.
The extension terminals allow mounting the starter first, then connecting the wires/cables.

Back