Monaco wagon side striping

MonacoBlue

Reaction score
Q: is 73 Monaco wagon brown side striping paint, or brown vinyl veneer graphic? I am seeing bizarre oak look (like 70's contact paper) in areas like A-pillar and gas cap door. But wood look veneer appears to be under paint?

I hope somebody reads this ultra-trivial post.

It is a vinyl. Hard to find anything that looks original. Might be best to find a good airbrush artist to paint it on. Here's what it's supposed to look like.

4123730298_d694fa2d50_z.jpg

Thanks, I think I saw a posting of that car, a guy who owned, sold it out of Chicago, I think. I just got mine and trying to figure out what to do with striping: polish, strip, or leave it alone. It's cracked and nasty. I'm on a budget for now and it's low priority compared to getting the car roadworthy, but I like 'quick win' projects that yield good results, while I patiently wait on longer term slow going repairs. Thanks again.

Thanks, I think I saw a posting of that car, a guy who owned, sold it out of Chicago, I think. I just got mine and trying to figure out what to do with striping: polish, strip, or leave it alone. It's cracked and nasty. I'm on a budget for now and it's low priority compared to getting the car roadworthy, but I like 'quick win' projects that yield good results, while I patiently wait on longer term slow going repairs. Thanks again.
If you're on a budget n don't want to worry about wood grain just yet, simply don't.
My experience with removing things like this is that they invariably open other cans of worms... you're dealing with an adhiesive that's been attached to paint for decades which means the underplaying paint will suffer at its removal.
That said, of you did want to make a go of it, a heat gun to remove the visible layer of the appliqué, then slow application of goof off to break down the leftover adhiesive?

Monaco 14.jpg

I was thinking about this on my wagon but I would explore those who do vinyl wrapping in your area. They can do some neat things with that. I was thinking about it on mine but I think it looks pretty cool as the Starsky and Hutch Special Edition.

Dave

View attachment 120696

I was thinking about this on my wagon but I would explore those who do vinyl wrapping in your area. They can do some neat things with that. I was thinking about it on mine but I think it looks pretty cool as the Starsky and Hutch Special Edition.

Dave
That is cool! Looks like a vintage ambulance, sort of. I saw one like that somewhere online that got dragged from abandonment out of a field in western Canada. Is that the same car? Cool.

If you're on a budget n don't want to worry about wood grain just yet, simply don't.
My experience with removing things like this is that they invariably open other cans of worms... you're dealing with an adhiesive that's been attached to paint for decades which means the underplaying paint will suffer at its removal.
That said, of you did want to make a go of it, a heat gun to remove the visible layer of the appliqué, then slow application of goof off to break down the leftover adhiesive?
Yes, the heat gun option crossed my mind. "How bad do I really want/need to do this...'now'?" I will probably wait: It is one part of the car that does not have surface not rust. It can wait. Time and money.

That is cool! Looks like a vintage ambulance, sort of. I saw one like that somewhere online that got dragged from abandonment out of a field in western Canada. Is that the same car? Cool.
BUCKETS! Am considering that, long term.

I will look for threads for it! Really liked the black buckets. My beige dash pad is cracked, in a car with a white interior. Am thinking I may spring for a black repro dash pad from Murray Park 'someday', if I get to a place where cosmetics mean that much $$$ to me. Thanks for commenting. Was thinking yours also had a 440. I have the humble 400, but I have seen info showing it's possible to get more power from this engine without going crazy in terms of mods and money. One step at a time.

May be peppering you with questions as my work on this goes forward, hope you don't mind my asking random stuff. Thanks again.

Mine is the same as yours a 400 2bbl...when I was in the process of buying mine I came across your car at Wildcat. It helped me in the decision to buy mine. I am just keeping mine pretty much all stock, but you are right there are lots of improvements that can be made with a 400. I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on my car if it was a small block.

Dave

View attachment 120696

Dave
You could probably do paid advertising for Coca Cola with that scheme.

Back