Mopars at the Battleship.

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Friday and Saturday was the annual "battleship" show in Mobile Al.
We almost lost this show when the hosting club decided to not have it last year.
Big Easy Mopar's in New Orleans stepped up to the plate at the last moment and took it over last April. Good show, (250 cars), but there were a few glitch's.
This year they had the whole year to organize and, In the grand glory way that they do things, it was an exquisite outing.
They added a event day, (like they do in New Orleans), on Friday. We toured to a private collection, about 75-80 cars where I saw something I did not know existed. A 1956 Imperial station wagon, factory built, one of one.
Then to the Carnival museum in Mobile, great fun. Then to the Aircraft museum at the battlefield park, which the club rented for Friday evening and had a Dreamland BBQ supper. We sat in and amongst fighter planes, helicopters, bombers, jet engines..... and feasted on BBQ ribs, pulled pork, chicken and all the trimmings. The cost for all this was $30.00, and you got a t-shirt. The dinner alone was worth that.
If you EVER get a chance to attend a BEM show. Cancel what your doing and get there.

Show day was Saturday. Temps in the mid 70's, Sun all day, beautiful concourse style grounds with a light breeze blowing of the Mobile Bay. Just over 300 Mopar's registered.

Here's some pictures. I apologize for the poor quality. Battery was dead in my camera so I took these with my phone.

20190426_132708 (Small).jpg
20190426_135657 (Small).jpg
20190426_160123 (Small).jpg
20190426_163453.jpg
20190426_163633.jpg
20190426_163813.jpg
20190426_164425.jpg
20190427_120554 (Small).jpg
20190427_120614 (Small).jpg
20190427_120702 (Small).jpg

Picture of the Imperial wagon?

It's in the first group Bob.... Tough to get a good shot, semi dark in there. I was blown away...! So was Herb Mccandless. We agreed it was the best car there. Mr Henderson bought it at an auction because it was a one of one, (He's a ford guy), and didn't have much information on it. It's titled as an Imperial. Someone who knew someone ordered it.
Here it is again.

20190426_160123.jpg

Herb is determined to get more information about it. (He's pretty well connected at Chrysler, ya know). :poke:

Last edited:
It's in the first group Bob.... Tough to get a good shot, semi dark in there. I was blown away...! So was Herb Mccandless. We agreed it was the best car there. Mr Henderson bought it at an auction because it was a one of one, (He's a ford guy), and didn't have much information on it. It's titled as an Imperial. Someone who knew someone ordered it.
Here it is again.

View attachment 281830

Herb is determined to get more information about it. (He's pretty well connected at Chrysler, ya know). :poke:

What is that white convertible in the foreground? It has something familiar with 58-60 Lincs, but the fin is too high and vertical.

That does look like a nice show and big turn out. I see that big glorious ship in the back ground of a few pic. I love visiting those old ships. Nothing says "iron fist" quite like the old battleships.

Lot of money sitting on them racks... & the field for that matter.

Thanks for posting, Very beautiful cars all around:thumbsup:

Here it is again.

View attachment 281830

I love that giant Imperial emblem on the front of the wagon!

Many years ago.....

I saw a professional art picture of that emblem. It was one of the coolest pictures I have ever seen. It made me think of how cool the artist was that created that Imperial emblem at Chrysler. He (or she) was very talented!

What is that white convertible in the foreground? It has something familiar with 58-60 Lincs, but the fin is too high and vertical.

It is an early 60's Cadillac convertible.
There are some great cars in that collection. There was also an old Airstream trailer that was outfitted to look like the inside of " I dream of Jeannie's" bottle, on the TV show. Could have been from the set of the show.

That does look like a nice show and big turn out. I see that big glorious ship in the back ground of a few pic. I love visiting those old ships. Nothing says "iron fist" quite like the old battleships.

That is the USS Alabama, in case you hadn't guessed. There is also a retired Submarine that you can tour through. and The flight museum, a B52 and several planes, and assorted military equipment on the grounds.

That is the USS Alabama, in case you hadn't guessed. There is also a retired Submarine that you can tour through. and The flight museum, a B52 and several planes, and assorted military equipment on the grounds.

There is also several excellent sea food restaurants with decks overlooking the Mobile Bay close by. All in all, a great days outing.

Back