Moving an Imperial on a Uhaul trailer

Could rolling the wagon onto the trailer 180 degrees improve things?
God no that’d be worse unless there was no drivetrain in it. The weight of the engine and trans way out there would be uncontrollable.

My trailer is a 20 footer with the axles set back some. When I haul a large car, even a wagon the rear wheels are over the trailer axles. No sway at all. Even loading it backwards.
P2200004.JPG
P2200001.JPG

I’m in agreement with patrick66. I bought my Newport in Virginia. It fit with the front wheels in the tie down position and not much behind the rear wheels. The Imp, of course, adds another 5” in wheelbase. To say there is over hang off the back is putting it mildly. Once moving, I started getting sway at speeds over 60, which was kind of alarming since I was going through the Appalachians. I’ve pulled different trailers carrying varying weights using different vehicles and was never comfortable going much over 60 anyway, so slowing down a bit didn’t bother me. But I have to say, these big c bodies push the u-haul to its limits. It can be done but if you can, try to get a better trailer or look into other options.
IMG_0079.jpg

Last edited:
I’m in agreement with patrick66. I bought my Newport in Virginia. It fit with the front wheels in the tie down position and not much behind the rear wheels. The Imp, of course, adds another 5” in wheelbase. To say there is over hang off the back is putting it mildly. Once moving, I started getting sway at speeds over 60, which was kind of alarming since I was going through the Appalachians. I’ve pulled different trailers carrying varying weights using different vehicles and was never comfortable going much over 60 anyway, so slowing down a bit didn’t bother me. But I have to say, these big c bodies push the u-haul to its limits. It can be done but if you can, try to get a better trailer or look into other options. View attachment 380671

Thats the tail wagging the dog.

Not a great pic and the Fury's are a little shorter but mine road fine from So. Missouri at 70, 75 MPH. Most of the time I didn't know it was back there.

upload_2020-6-3_14-21-44.png

Not a great pic and the Fury's are a little shorter but mine road fine from So. Missouri at 70, 75 MPH. Most of the time I didn't know it was back there.

View attachment 380688
You’ve got a great truck for the job too. That longer wheelbase helps keep sway to a minimum. One thing I liked about the u-haul was the two piece sliding tongue and the trailer brake. One of my sons had a 32’ boat on a three axle trailer with no trailer brakes. He used his friend’s cummins powered 2500 to pull it and never had a problem. I never asked him how fast he went, though...didn’t want to.

Last edited:
Before renting a u-haul I would call some local places that sell trailers. The place I deal with I can get a like new 20' steel deck car hauler with electric brakes on both axles, spare tire for $35.00 a day. As long as you have the correct hitch and truck to pull it and proof of insurance you're good to go.

It's sometimes a little inconvenient as opposed to owning a trailer but when I need one I always get a like-new one and it beats storing a unused trailer in one of the shops.

Wont do you any good on a one way trip though.

Nope. Not jerking anyone around. The purpose of this exercise was to cut out 15 hours of driving. I do indeed have a 2500 truck and a tilt trailer, and I do not want to tow it empty 15 hours only to turn right around and tow the car back another 15 hours. That trip sucks on a good day. By flying up and renting the Uhaul, I'd only have to drive half the trip. Cost of plane ticket nil, cost of Uhaul worth not driving both ways. And since the car won't fit on the trailer to begin with, it's all moot.

What could I possibly have to gain from asking a bogus question on here? Do you really think I'd spend 2 grand if this trip were a walk in the park?

Nope. Not jerking anyone around. The purpose of this exercise was to cut out 15 hours of driving. I do indeed have a 2500 truck and a tilt trailer, and I do not want to tow it empty 15 hours only to turn right around and tow the car back another 15 hours. That trip sucks on a good day. By flying up and renting the Uhaul, I'd only have to drive half the trip. Cost of plane ticket nil, cost of Uhaul worth not driving both ways. And since the car won't fit on the trailer to begin with, it's all moot.

What could I possibly have to gain from asking a bogus question on here? Do you really think I'd spend 2 grand if this trip were a walk in the park?

For $2k you can have it shipped to your door assuming your 15 hr drive equals about 750 miles. As long as you can get the front of the car to the back of the trailer or vice versa, winching it on the trailer should not be a problem and you should be able to arrange to pull it back off.

Depending on where it is and where you are, I might be able to recommend someone qualified to move high end stuff for shows.

Kevin

7fba1eba-d5ab-405b-ad13-8e5232dc311f-jpeg.jpg

Reliable charged about $1300 to haul the Monaco from Atlantic City to Detroit northern suburbs.
Safe enclosed delivery of approx 700 miles. An open ramp truck or trailer would cost even less and should also have a winch if car still isn't running.
Save yourself 15 hours tugging 5k on an open trailer.
Fly out, make the deal, fly back.
Whether you rent a Haul, buy or borrow a trailer any damage to car is on you.
Too many unobtainable trim and glass parts on our cars to risk damage during delivery imo.

It doesn't run!

When Desoto George sent his "shipper" to my place so we could load the '76 T&C I sold him, there was a '67 XKE on his trailer.

It was a shell with parts strapped to a pallet behind it. I'm sure it didn't run.

When Doc, sent his shipper for the '73 Imperial I sold him, the guy didn't drive it into the trailer. He used his winch that was mounted inside. Car was in neutral and he sucked it ever so gently into the trailer.

Not running is not an issue. IMHO.

Or this. No way I could’ve gotten these to my place for even half what it cost me to have someone else do it.
View attachment 379915
The ‘64 didn’t run and the ‘67 ran but had no brakes and it cost me 500 bucks to get them both from an hour north of Chicago to here in the Detroit area.

When Desoto George sent his "shipper" to my place so we could load the '76 T&C I sold him, there was a '67 XKE on his trailer.

It was a shell with parts strapped to a pallet behind it. I'm sure it didn't run.

When Doc, sent his shipper for the '73 Imperial I sold him, the guy didn't drive it into the trailer. He used his winch that was mounted inside. Car was in neutral and he sucked it ever so gently into the trailer.

Not running is not an issue. IMHO.

It is an issue that the logistics wouls need to be worked out.
They all will charge more for a car that doesn't run. If it goes on a carrier or multi car trailer it is usually 1st or last loaded. A car that doesn't run is more involved, thats all.

The ‘64 didn’t run and the ‘67 ran but had no brakes and it cost me 500 bucks to get them both from an hour north of Chicago to here in the Detroit area.
I should add that that started with a cold call to a broker from a Craigslist ad.:thumbsup:

A number of years ago I towed a 3/4 ton pickup truck cross country without the benefit of a trailer. Knowing it was too big to fit a trailer, reasoning it only got 8 mpg on a GOOD day and having to choose whether to leave it behind or not, I found a reputable welder to put me together a tow bar to attach to the frame (after removing the front bumper of course) that would bolt into the existing frame holes where the original bumper mounted onto. It was allowed to hinge up and down on the frame to handle bumps and dips using hardened pins. Unlocking the steering wheel, removing the driveshaft, attaching safety chains from a heavy duty tow chain and wiring in the truck's tail lights as tow lights allowed me to drag it 880 miles from Dallas Tx to Panama City Beach, FL on the back of a 24' Ryder moving van. It even provided me with additional storage for what wouldn't fit into the moving van, such as my ride on mower.

That was back in 2008. Today I am faced with a similar move from PCB to East Texas in a little over 3 months, this time with a 73 Newport. I intend to follow the same course of action to drag my beloved Chrysler with me to my new home.

Having lived in a tourist town for over 12 years, I've seen many motor homes dragging behind them their family cars to vacation here on a similar manner. It is cheaper than a trailer and in some cases, you can resell the tow bar on Craigslist or eBay when the trip is completed.

Just a thought for you to consider for transporting a big car across long distances.

Back