MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Looks like it was fun. How many more parades are you scheduled for?
At this time I have only been asked for one, Newhall on The 4th of July.

There is a local festival parade I might see if the local Office wants to do. It is also up to me to see if they are interested in doing different events, the local office has a new PIO (Public Information Officer) and may not know the different events.

Alan

Just as I'm getting the car ready for a show the final piece needed to swap out the taillights came in the day before I head out for the show. The original lenses are fading and the bezels are pitted.
2017-06-09_003.jpg

One of the bezels had some shelf ware so I painted it first while I pulled the old stuff off.
2017-06-09_012.jpg

2017-06-09_024.jpg

To get the taillights out the bumper needs to be slid back about 4 inches.
2017-06-09_017.jpg

2017-06-09_032.jpg

All back together and the difference it makes.

2017-06-09_034.jpg

Alan

Funny thing is I'd slow down for that, even knowing it's not in service, and expect it to pull me over. That's a groovy bumper sticker!

Big weekend planned, the first stop was a 4 hour drive to Gilroy where there was a group of emergency vehicles for display at a chili cook off. There was a dozen cars and very little space and i was the last one to show so I ended up just leaving it in the street.
2017-06-10_006.jpg

Alan

The next day I got to the show (an all Mopar show) and registered in the Emergency Vehicle class figured I'd be one of one. I go to park the car and find out the class is Emergency Vehicle and Special Interest, and there was a General Lee entered. The show is a participant peoples choice judging so I had no idea how it would go.
2017-06-11_015.jpg

The car was once again well received. At the end of the day they hand out trophies and get the our class and the announcer indicated that there were only two cars and in second place with a 1969 Dodge... (pause)... Polara. I go up get my trophy and high-five the other owner as he went up. While getting our trophies they asked if we'd bring the cars up for pictures together. Back at our cars we fir them up he rolls off whistlin Dixie, I roll the siren and paint him up and follow him up o the presenter area.
2017-06-11_028.jpg

The owner of the General Lee was local and part of the Metric crowd so that might have made the difference. Either way a fun show and visit wit friends.

Alan

Alan, it's got to be a blast going to the parades and anywhere else you drive her and hearing all the accolades regarding the car. It makes all the time and effort that you put in to restore in the car well worth it.. great job.

Alan, it's got to be a blast going to the parades and anywhere else you drive her and hearing all the accolades regarding the car. It makes all the time and effort that you put in to restore in the car well worth it.. great job.
That is what makes this car so special, it is so much more than just another old collector car, its a piece of history.

Alan

The trip home I took a 2 hour detour on a normally 4 hour drive to go to the Fresno Office. The Fresno Office is where this car came from and they are in the process of building a new office and I wanted to get pictures at the old office before they removed the signs. At fist when got to the office a couple people came out but after a few minutes the flood gates opened, next think I knew I had another gig.
2017-06-12_002.jpg

2017-06-12_001.jpg

They then wanted to bring out one of the new Chargers and get some pictures.
2017-06-12_005.jpg

They always enjoy seeing the car and commenting on the simpleness of it, hearing the siren always puts a smile on their face. These Office visits are always fun but this one was special, they really liked the idea that it was an original Fresno car.

When the new office is finished they are going to have an open house and want me to bring the car, I look forward to that, sounds like t might be February.

Alan

After leaving Fresno I still had a 3 hour drive home, halfway was the transmission shop (Garr's Transmission in Paso Robles) that rebuilt my transmission. this was a carry in bench rebuild so they haven't seen the car. When they did the rebuild they said to bring it back after about 500 miles for a test drive and adjustment if needed, well I have a little more than that and everything felt fine for them. They did look for a leak and felt it might be one of the plugs on the rear of the case, they cleaned it and put some RTV over it, the tail shaft needs to come off to get the plug out.
2017-06-12_009.jpg

This gave me the opportunity to get a good look at the bottom of the car and see the areas that I still need to cleanup. The bottom wasn't all that bad but there is another patch that I'm not happy with.

2017-06-12_014.jpg

About five miles down the road is Pioneer Machine that did the engine machining, it was a perfect opportunity to drop by and showoff the car, he said they rarely see the cars they do engines for.
2017-06-12_018.jpg

After that it was it was a nice drive home after a pretty good weekend.

Alan

I'm thrilled you are doing this Alan. It shows to the unwashed masses out there that every old cop car doesn't have to have a 6' bullhorn on the roof and a broken cigarette lighter.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some of the questions I get are; when did I get it and how long did it take to restore.
  • Purchased August 22, 2010
  • Completed January 31, 2017
    • Approximately 450 days working on the car
    • About 90 Weeks (5 day weeks), or 20 Months or 1.75 Years
      • Or
    • About 65 Weeks (7 day weeks), or 15 Months or 1.25 Years
  • Works out to about 18% of the days I had the car I was working on it.
  • Total time just under 6-1/2 years
Aside from the final prep and paint I did all the work myself.

Farmed out:​
  • Engine Machine work (friend helped with the assembly)
  • Transmission rebuild
  • Dash pad restoration - Just Dashes
  • Steering wheel restoration - Quality Restorations
  • Seat upholstery - SMS Auto Fabrics / Valley Vinyl Medford Oregon
  • Alignment
  • Powder coating (lots)
    • Phoenix Specialty Coatings for a bulk of it
    • and a local shop for the big items.
  • Alternator rebuild
  • Brake booster rebuild - Booster Dewey
  • Original water pump rebuild
Special Projects:​
  • DMT - EVERYTHING!!! for the car, major thanks, not something they already had, used my parts for samples
  • M & H Electric Fabricators, new body harness and positive battery cable.
Assistance used to install the dash assembly into the car and the front seat.

My friend did my headliner, engine assembly, carburetor rebuild, rear end setup (and install), engine and transmission installation and overall opinions on restoration help.

That is a pretty basic summery

Alan

Last edited:
I appreciate old cop cars a lot more after seeing the transformation of your car.

Back