MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Hmm, one fast Pinto. I wonder since the picture concerns the Pinto, which is for sale, in Lompoc.
00L0L_bRxQfueB3w6_1200x900.jpg

lol
I wonder how many younger members got that. :lol:
I have found when I mention the model, that lots of them heard "something about explosions"... they tend to view the cars as unexploded ordinance instead of a short car with a common exhaust/fuel tank configuration for its day.

I bet you could get folks to run if you beat the rear bumper with a hammer...

I have found when I mention the model, that lots of them heard "something about explosions"... they tend to view the cars as unexploded ordinance instead of a short car with a common exhaust/fuel tank configuration for its day.

I bet you could get folks to run if you beat the rear bumper with a hammer...

My brother had a 71 3 door Pinto in dark green. When he finished with the 2.0L engine 4 speed it had 11.0:1 compression plus other goodies. Have to say that damn thing was fast. However, when doing 100 in that car you knew it as the engine had the will but the body didn't. World of difference to my Cougar at 100 and even more so compared to the Park Lane. Passing semi's hauling tomatoes to the Central Valley processing plants on two lane highway 12 with the delta on one side was a church going experience.

I arranged to get new mufflers installed and one was selected that matched the reproductions that were on the car. I got to the shop and they were still waiting for their delivery, this gave me time to get under the car and look at the areas I still need to detail. The mufflers came in and they made quick work of it. The car was taken for a 20 mile test drive just because, I like the sound of these new mufflers better, not so hot roddy.

Alan

Can you share manufacturer and part numbers?

Can you share manufacturer and part numbers?
AP 6532 perforated tube
2.5 offset inlet
2.25 center outlet
19" case

I needed to fit what was there, factory would have had a 2.25 inlet and were 21 long.
I ordered the original mufflers without researching them too much first.

Alan

The other day I took the car for a drive with idea of taking this picture, I have seen the spot and liked the interchange in the background. This was 30 miles from home but I couldn't just turn around and go home, nope, I went another 60 miles on one of my favorite loops. CHP did stop while I was taking pictures, he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving.

2017-11-24_001b.jpg

Alan

The other day I took the car for a drive with idea of taking this picture, I have seen the spot and liked the interchange in the background. This was 30 miles from home but I couldn't just turn around and go home, nope, I went another 60 miles on one of my favorite loops. CHP did stop while I was taking pictures, he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving.

View attachment 153977

Alan
That's a cool picture, Alan.

CHP did stop while I was taking pictures, he was more interested in making sure I had everything covered up when I was driving.
Hard to imagine that would be such an issue with your car, but I suppose they deal with too many wannabes in used cars or appropriately colored newer stuff. :realcrazy:

I've always been puzzled by that. Who's impersonating a police officer in a 30 plus year old police car?

My dad's 71 was said to be a plain brown wrapper heading west bound on the CB in 1983. At 17 I questioned the intelligence of the Guy saying so since the car was 12 years old.

Back