MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

After leaving Fresno I still had a 3 hour drive home, halfway was the transmission shop (Garr's Transmission in Paso Robles) that rebuilt my transmission. this was a carry in bench rebuild so they haven't seen the car. When they did the rebuild they said to bring it back after about 500 miles for a test drive and adjustment if needed, well I have a little more than that and everything felt fine for them. They did look for a leak and felt it might be one of the plugs on the rear of the case, they cleaned it and put some RTV over it, the tail shaft needs to come off to get the plug out.
View attachment 128276

This gave me the opportunity to get a good look at the bottom of the car and see the areas that I still need to cleanup. The bottom wasn't all that bad but there is another patch that I'm not happy with.

View attachment 128277

About five miles down the road is Pioneer Machine that did the engine machining, it was a perfect opportunity to drop by and showoff the car, he said they rarely see the cars they do engines for.
View attachment 128278

After that it was it was a nice drive home after a pretty good weekend.

Alan
I think it's super cool that you are so willing to share the credit of the rebuild of your car with those who helped you. To go out of your way for these guys to get to see the finished product had to be a major highlight in their week.

I'm really glad you're enjoying sharing her with so many others, too bad you're on the wrong side of the universe for me to see her in person.

I guess I should update you on the last four months.

After the show in Cupertino I did the local summer kickoff cruise, ten blocks of the main drag closed, drive a few laps, stop and chat with people, repeat.
2017-06-30_011.jpg

Next up is where the fun starts, I took the car to Newhall for their Fourth of July parade. I met up with my friend Ron and we went to the parade where we met up with the CHP and waited for the parade to start, it was early and it was already well into the 80's. The parade finally starts and we roll off, people love the cars. Just about a quarter of the way (maybe a 1/4 mile) the car shuts down, I try to restart but end up coasting off the parade route. By now it is over 90 and I chose to let the car cool down, after a few more tries I give up and call AAA. The car was towed to the local CHP office where we look at it. At this point it has only been about 40 minutes from when it died and it is hot out. I stand back and let a couple people that may know a little more than I do look at it, their first thought was the pump was bad, Ron just happened to have one in his trunk. Pump swapped we get it started and head out.

2017-07-04_007.jpg

We head out with the idea of getting some pictures of the cars together but when we stopped it was just too hot to take time and remove signs and change plates.
2017-07-04_013.jpg

I almost didn't get the car started and when I went to drive off it chugged like it was going to die, it recovered and I hit the road home. I figured every mile home was closer to the coast and cooler temps. About 30 miles later our routes split so I pull off to say bye to Ron and the car dies. This time we were stuck for about an hour and a half waiting for the engine to cool down, while we waited I got a fuel filter and some jumper cables. We got the car started got gas right away and hit the road, Ron stayed with me to the coast (another 20 miles) and I gave him the ok, home I went with no problems. I figured the car didn't like temps in the 90's.

A local business started up a once a month morning cruise-in so I dusted the car off and took it.
2017-07-30_001.jpg

A couple things I felt I could improve on were the seat belts and the floor mat. I pulled the belts out and put them in a bucket of dye, big difference.
2017-08-13_005.jpg

While I had the belts out I moved the front seat so I could hit the mats with shoe polish. Three bottles later (full floor) they were like new.
2017-08-13_010.jpg

Last year we didn't have our local car show but it was back on, I had the car there and there were a few other emergency vehicles there. The CHP had a 2016 Charger, there was a LAPD motor (clone), 90 Caprice (real) and a 70 Fury (real). I got the one trophy.
2017-08-19_002.jpg

I have known for a while that the car originally had a cage and I had been debating putting one in. I started with a full template that would later be trimmed for clearance. I had a CHP 90's Caprice cage that was built by CHP that was going to used as a guide along with the vintage picture (1961). A local fab shop gave me the quote and I had them move forward.
2017-07-27_001.jpg

2017-07-27_000.jpg

2017-08-21_001.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
I guess I should update you on the last four months.

After the show in Cupertino I did the local summer kickoff cruise, ten blocks of the main drag closed, drive a few laps, stop and chat with people, repeat.
View attachment 146777

Next up is where the fun starts, I took the car to Newhall for their Fourth of July parade. I met up with my friend Ron and we went to the parade where we met up with the CHP and waited for the parade to start, it was early and it was already well into the 80's. The parade finally starts and we roll off, people love the cars. Just about a quarter of the way (maybe a 1/4 mile) the car shuts down, I try to restart but end up coasting off the parade route. By now it is over 90 and I chose to let the car cool down, after a few more tries I give up and call AAA. The car was towed to the local CHP office where we look at it. At this point it has only been about 40 minutes from when it died and it is hot out. I stand back and let a couple people that may know a little more than I do look at it, their first thought was the pump was bad, Ron just happened to have one in his trunk. Pump swapped we get it started and head out.

View attachment 146778

We head out with the idea of getting some pictures of the cars together but when we stopped it was just too hot to take time and remove signs and change plates.
View attachment 146779

I almost didn't get the car started and when I went to drive off it chugged like it was going to die, it recovered and I hit the road home. I figured every mile home was closer to the coast and cooler temps. About 30 mile later our routes split so I pull off to say bye to Ron and the car dies. This time we were stuck for about an hour and a half waiting for the engine to cool down, while we waited I got a fuel filter and some jumper cables. We got the car started got gas right away and hit the road, Ron stay with me to the coast (another 20 miles) and I gave him the ok, home I went with no problems. I figured the car didn't like temps in the 90's.

A local bushiness started up a once a month morning cruise-in so I dusted the car off and took it.
View attachment 146780

A couple things I felt I could improve on were the seat belts and the floor mat. I pulled the belts out and put them in a bucket of dye, big difference.
View attachment 146781

While I had the belts out I moved the front seat so I could hit the mats with shoe polish. Three bottles later (full floor) they were like new.
View attachment 146782

Last year we didn't have our local car show but it was back on, I had the car there and there were a few other emergency vehicles there. The CHP had a 2016 Charger, there was a LAPD motor (clone), 90 Caprice (real) and a 70 Fury (real). I got the one trophy.
View attachment 146783

I have know for a while that the car original had a cage and I had been debating putting one in. I started with a full template that would later be trimmed for clearance. I had a CHP 90's Caprice cage that was built by CHP that was going to used as a guide along with the vintage picture. A local fab shop gave me the quote and I had them move forward.
View attachment 146784
View attachment 146785
View attachment 146786

Alan
Sorry to hear about your fuel overheating problem, but their are always bugs to sort out after a job like you did, (that is why Chrysler gives out warranties). I have learned that you will get to the bottom of it, (you love that car too much). Thanks for the update.

Next up was a show in Solvang I had been looking forward to, limited to pre 80's cars and the first 300 entries. I was in the 1960-1980 Ford/Mopar (no Mustang/Cuda) the car got a second place. While at the show a couple comes up and says they think this was her fathers car, turns out it is. The person I had been dealing with was her brother but it was their parents that purchased the car from the CHP. They own a shop across the street, didn't know the car was going to be there or I was even local.
2017-08-26_011.jpg

The next item I needed to improve was the grill. The push bar needed to be removed first and then the grill. With the grill off I removed the finish panel and polished the edges of the fins then masked them off, although it was an anodized part I painted it. On the housing I masked the chrome off and painted the silver, after a few coats I changed the masking and did some blackout.
2017-09-02_016.jpg

2017-09-03_018.jpg
2017-09-03_025.jpg

Back on the car what a difference.
2017-09-09_024.jpg

The cage was ready to fit in the car and make the brackets so I took the car to the fab shop where the floor mounts and b-pillar mounts were sized.
2017-09-16_009.jpg

2017-09-16_018.jpg

The panels were sent out for powder coating and installed
2017-09-26_008.jpg

Here we go again...
I got the car all loaded up last night and was just waiting for Ron to show up. We had a 400 mile drive to Cameron Park for the Cops and Rodders show, once Ron arrived we headed out and topped off with gas. The first 90 miles went just fine to where we stopped for lunch, a few miles later as we went to get on the highway the car sputtered and died. We gave it a minute and fired it up and continued, once up to speed the car ran fine so it seemed and we continued, 25 miles later we hit a grade and the temp starts to rise. We made it to the summit and as we started going down so did the temp, that was till we saw the sign for the flagman ahead. Sure enough as soon as we stopped the car died. Nowhere to pull over I sat waiting and figured I’d fire it up when traffic started rolling, no go, coasted to the shoulder a little further up.

Initially I said we’ll let it cool down some and then get it going and merge in and go. One more try failed so I said let’s wait some more get it going and turn around and go home. While we were waiting we got some gas out of Ron’s car and filled up the carburetor to better our chance if it running long enough to get back over the summit to where I could coast 6 miles getting the car within my 100 mile AAA tow. (Keep in mind we are in the middle of nowhere 30 miles in either direction)

The car fired right up, Ron stopped traffic and we turned around. The next 30 miles back to the highway went fine and as I get on the freeway I gun it to see if there was going to be an issue, a little sputter but it kept running. For the next 25 miles the car ran fine, the further we went the cooler it got as did the engine. At the 25 mile point (now about 55 from the turnaround) there was a long steep downhill and the temp dropped way down. At the bottom of the grade I go to accelerate and I hear a knocking sound, oh %$#^&(*!! and I pull over and Ron pops the hood, not the engine. So I get out and look under the car and it sounds like the left muffler was bad. Not being the engine we continue, another hour I got the car home.

We talked about dropping the car off and turning around in his car and head back, we figured it would be too late and felt the time would be better spent looking at the car.

2017-09-30_001.jpg

The next morning a friend came over and we checked the fuel system for potential sources of heat as yesterday wasn’t that hot. Nothing was found so we did a flow test on the pump and it wasn’t good, off to the parts store we go. Parts store A, nothing, Tuesday, parts store B, nothing, Tuesday, parts store C, nothing, Tuesday, parts store D, nothing, Tuesday… but our store 40 miles away has one, call them let them know we are on our way.

The new pump had a noticeably heavier spring in it and right before we go to install it we notice it needs an adapter, off to the parts store. Adapter added we install the pump and do a flow test, nothing not a drop? So we pull the pump and remove the push rod, at a glance it didn’t look right so I call Ron and asked if he had one in storage, he did so I went and got it.

The new push rod was about 5/16” longer, that is a lot of wear for an engine with about 3900 miles on it. Assembly lube was applied to the rod and it was put in, pump installed and fired up. I drove the car for a little bit and got on it a few times with no issues (but it was only in the 60’s).

My engine guy recommended I order a new rod from Summit that was a Blended Carbon Polymer, Chromoly Tip from Comp Cams.

The new pushrod came in and it was installed, we put back the previous pump with the less spring pressure. Once again tested with everything working fine.

2017-10-05_020.jpg

I arranged to get new mufflers installed and one was selected that matched the reproductions that were on the car. I got to the shop and they were still waiting for their delivery, this gave me time to get under the car and look at the areas I still need to detail. The mufflers came in and they made quick work of it. The car was taken for a 20 mile test drive just because, I like the sound of these new mufflers better, not so hot roddy.

A week later and we are about to repeat the run hopefully with better results. Once again we head out and top off with gas and roll. The drive went great, two hours later we are back at the scene, no construction and the car is running fine.

We make a minor detour and drop by the Coalinga CHP Office where their few people came out to check out the cars. They rolled one of the Chargers out for some pictures and on we went. The next stop was a couple hours away, the Chowchilla scales have become one of our regular stops and again they were happy to see the cars.
After a brief visit we headed into Ripon and met up for the Friday night cruise, just lights no sirens.

2017-10-06_004.jpg

2017-10-06_010.jpg

Morning of the show we got up ate and made our way to the show, once in line I finish cleaning the car. We get the cars parked and finish setting them up when we see another CHP 69 Polara in line, it is a recent acquisition by someone we recently met. He was able to get the car roadworthy but chose to trailer the car to Ripon where he then drove it to the show.

A few other cars showed up (in this class) and one of them was a very nice CHP 58 Mercury, we have a show now. I spent the day looking at the other cars and hanging out at my car, the cage was a big conversation starter.

The time came for awards, they went through all the other classes first then to this class, in third place…, no, in second place…, no, in first place…, no? and then the jaw dropper, Best of Show with a recently finished restoration…, what Best of Show, whoa… I’m still speechless.

2017-10-07_001.jpg

2017-10-07_201.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Alan... great write up as usual. And here I was thinking there was no way to make your car better.:)

This makes me wonder though... 3900 miles???
2017-09-30_001-jpg.jpg

I saw this before somewhere else, that's why I prefer an electric pump on my cars, I realize that wouldn't be appropriate with Alan's car.
Definitely not Alan's car... but I struggle with the idea of changing for my stock driveline cars too. If modifying things, I wouldn't be so bothered.

But that wear and mileage do not compute no matter how hard I try. I'd be pissed if that happened that fast with the soft replacements.

Thanks Alan... great write up as usual. And here I was thinking there was no way to make your car better.:)

This makes me wonder though... 3900 miles???
Tell me about it, when I first had a problem after the parade Ron called a friend and he said to check the push rod, I said no way the car barely has 3000 miles on it.

I have a show in a couple weeks and that will put another 250 miles on it, with the other show that will put 850 miles on the new Comp Cam push rod, it will be inspected when we get back.

Alan

Alan, congrats on the Best of Show award--and winning that at a big show like Ripon, with so much competition, really means something.

The cage is interesting. I did not know they were in use as early as your car.

Do you have a photo of the end of the rod? would be interesting to see wear pattern.
I wonder if the cam got damaged in any way.... was this a new replacement rod or the original? Perhaps if the original it was worn down before?

These don't have that much pressure on them, something's fishy here...:stop:

Tell me about it, when I first had a problem after the parade Ron called a friend and he said to check the push rod, I said no way the car barely has 3000 miles on it.

I have a show in a couple weeks and that will put another 250 miles on it, with the other show that will put 850 miles on the new Comp Cam push rod, it will be inspected when we get back.

Alan
Do you have a photo of the end of the rod? would be interesting to see wear pattern.
I wonder if the cam got damaged in any way.... was this a new replacement rod or the original? Perhaps if the original it was worn down before?

That does make a good case for a magnetic drain plug... should be a much easier way to spot trouble.

Is it kosher to use an old oil pump push-rod on a new cam?

Alan
Read this whole storyline from beginning to end. Awesome! Love reading this kind of stuff of what car guys go thru when doing a complete resto project from beginning to end(does it really ever end?). Hope this car and you have many joyful trips in the future. :thumbsup::thankyou:

The push rod was a new OEM piece, in a couple weeks after my next show I'll update the fuel pump rod status. At that time I'll get a picture of the different rods and the wear. With the issues this caused I'll probably be inspecting it on an annual basis, maybe more. The 4200 miles will probably be a typical year, so a 1400 or 2100 mile inspection may be needed till I'm comfortable with it. I hope the new Comp Cam push rod is a better match for the cam.

Alan

Next up was a show in Solvang I had been looking forward to, limited to pre 80's cars and the first 300 entries. I was in the 1960-1980 Ford/Mopar (no Mustang/Cuda) the car got a second place. While at the show a couple comes up and says they think this was her fathers car, turns out it is. The person I had been dealing with was her brother but it was their parents that purchased the car from the CHP. They own a shop across the street, didn't know the car was going to be there or I was even local.
View attachment 146792

The next item I needed to improve was the grill. The push bar needed to be removed first and then the grill. With the grill off I removed the finish panel and polished the edges of the fins then masked them off, although it was an anodized part I painted it. On the housing I masked the chrome off and painted the silver, after a few coats I changed the masking and did some blackout.
View attachment 146793
View attachment 146794 View attachment 146795

Back on the car what a difference.
View attachment 146796

The cage was ready to fit in the car and make the brackets so I took the car to the fab shop where the floor mounts and b-pillar mounts were sized.
View attachment 146797
View attachment 146798

The panels were sent out for powder coating and installed
View attachment 146799

Here we go again...
I got the car all loaded up last night and was just waiting for Ron to show up. We had a 400 mile drive to Cameron Park for the Cops and Rodders show, once Ron arrived we headed out and topped off with gas. The first 90 miles went just fine to where we stopped for lunch, a few miles later as we went to get on the highway the car sputtered and died. We gave it a minute and fired it up and continued, once up to speed the car ran fine so it seemed and we continued, 25 miles later we hit a grade and the temp starts to rise. We made it to the summit and as we started going down so did the temp, that was till we saw the sign for the flagman ahead. Sure enough as soon as we stopped the car died. Nowhere to pull over I sat waiting and figured I’d fire it up when traffic started rolling, no go, coasted to the shoulder a little further up.

Initially I said we’ll let it cool down some and then get it going and merge in and go. One more try failed so I said let’s wait some more get it going and turn around and go home. While we were waiting we got some gas out of Ron’s car and filled up the carburetor to better our chance if it running long enough to get back over the summit to where I could coast 6 miles getting the car within my 100 mile AAA tow. (Keep in mind we are in the middle of nowhere 30 miles in either direction)

The car fired right up, Ron stopped traffic and we turned around. The next 30 miles back to the highway went fine and as I get on the freeway I gun it to see if there was going to be an issue, a little sputter but it kept running. For the next 25 miles the car ran fine, the further we went the cooler it got as did the engine. At the 25 mile point (now about 55 from the turnaround) there was a long steep downhill and the temp dropped way down. At the bottom of the grade I go to accelerate and I hear a knocking sound, oh %$#^&(*!! and I pull over and Ron pops the hood, not the engine. So I get out and look under the car and it sounds like the left muffler was bad. Not being the engine we continue, another hour I got the car home.

We talked about dropping the car off and turning around in his car and head back, we figured it would be too late and felt the time would be better spent looking at the car.

View attachment 146800

The next morning a friend came over and we checked the fuel system for potential sources of heat as yesterday wasn’t that hot. Nothing was found so we did a flow test on the pump and it wasn’t good, off to the parts store we go. Parts store A, nothing, Tuesday, parts store B, nothing, Tuesday, parts store C, nothing, Tuesday, parts store D, nothing, Tuesday… but our store 40 miles away has one, call them let them know we are on our way.

The new pump had a noticeably heavier spring in it and right before we go to install it we notice it needs an adapter, off to the parts store. Adapter added we install the pump and do a flow test, nothing not a drop? So we pull the pump and remove the push rod, at a glance it didn’t look right so I call Ron and asked if he had one in storage, he did so I went and got it.

The new push rod was about 5/16” longer, that is a lot of wear for an engine with about 3900 miles on it. Assembly lube was applied to the rod and it was put in, pump installed and fired up. I drove the car for a little bit and got on it a few times with no issues (but it was only in the 60’s).

My engine guy recommended I order a new rod from Summit that was a Blended Carbon Polymer, Chromoly Tip from Comp Cams.

The new pushrod came in and it was installed, we put back the previous pump with the less spring pressure. Once again tested with everything working fine.

View attachment 146801

I arranged to get new mufflers installed and one was selected that matched the reproductions that were on the car. I got to the shop and they were still waiting for their delivery, this gave me time to get under the car and look at the areas I still need to detail. The mufflers came in and they made quick work of it. The car was taken for a 20 mile test drive just because, I like the sound of these new mufflers better, not so hot roddy.

A week later and we are about to repeat the run hopefully with better results. Once again we head out and top off with gas and roll. The drive went great, two hours later we are back at the scene, no construction and the car is running fine.

We make a minor detour and drop by the Coalinga CHP Office where their few people came out to check out the cars. They rolled one of the Chargers out for some pictures and on we went. The next stop was a couple hours away, the Chowchilla scales have become one of our regular stops and again they were happy to see the cars.
After a brief visit we headed into Ripon and met up for the Friday night cruise, just lights no sirens.

View attachment 146802
View attachment 146803

Morning of the show we got up ate and made our way to the show, once in line I finish cleaning the car. We get the cars parked and finish setting them up when we see another CHP 69 Polara in line, it is a recent acquisition by someone we recently met. He was able to get the car roadworthy but chose to trailer the car to Ripon where he then drove it to the show.

A few other cars showed up (in this class) and one of them was a very nice CHP 58 Mercury, we have a show now. I spent the day looking at the other cars and hanging out at my car, the cage was a big conversation starter.

The time came for awards, they went through all the other classes first then to this class, in third place…, no, in second place…, no, in first place…, no? and then the jaw dropper, Best of Show with a recently finished restoration…, what Best of Show, whoa… I’m still speechless.

View attachment 146804
View attachment 146805

Alan
Awesome! Congratulations!
I still want a ride in that beauty.

Back