MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

If I contribute nothing else to this site I can take comfort in knowing that it was my post that started this whole STUB frame buisness!

I believe Husky's interest in the stub frame isolators stemmed fron a much earlier thread where someone posted a pic from a Service Manual showing a stub frame. Up until that moment I never ever heard anyone call it anything but a sub-frame and mentioned on how it said stub frame in the FSM and everybody kinda like freaks out about how this was the Holy Grail of the correct name.
This is a start of a movement that the Mopar world hasn't seen since people finally figured out that yah, the K-car really was a POS and we all wish we had the balls that Iococca had when lying like a bastard but knew he had to do it. That courage.

Posted via Topify using Android

Even though I've had this car 3 years now and new about this trim I didn't actually get it till now. I was able to locate all 8 pieces of body side mouldings with the rubber insert NOS. I chose to get the front door pieces with hopes that the packaging would be display worthy, (it wasn't) as Dodge shipped the trim in the trunk for later resale.

They didn't have both quarters but they did have one for the wagon, it is about 4" longer and I plan to shorten it myself.

2013-08-29_001.jpg

Not all them came with the clips and I'd like to use new so I guess I'll be contacting RT Specialties.

2013-08-29_003.jpg

I feel much better having this moulding and not worrying about someone else discovering it.

Last edited:
Well it is getting to the point that I feel lucky when my body guy is available, but I'll take what I can get even if it is only 3 hours and we only get one fender polished and installed.

2013-09-11_001.jpg

Maybe Friday we'll get the other fender done.

Well progress is progress even if it is minor. The other fender and the trunk lid were polished and installed.

2013-09-14_002.jpg

2013-09-14_004.jpg

If I'm lucky we'll get the hood done this week.

Thats exactly what I mean ............ I am glad you have that car

I’m very grateful that the family that had the car was willing to part with it. The older couple on the left are the ones that purchased the car from the CHP in 1970 and their son was holding on to the car to restore someday. When I came along at a point that he was realizing that he might not get to it before his parents pass on and wished they could see it done. This car was not for sale but I asked and understood the situation prior to my first meeting with them.

2010-08-22_004.jpg

They all loved this car and were sad to see it go.

Well it is getting to the point that I feel lucky when my body guy is available, but I'll take what I can get even if it is only 3 hours and we only get one fender polished and installed.

2013-09-11_001.jpg

Maybe Friday we'll get the other fender done.

This is fantastic! Bet it feels good to be making progress!

Why did they buy it? For what purpose?

December of 1970 the car was put up for sale by CHP and they purchased it like most people do. They have purchased CHP cars over the years and drove them as the family car. This car was different, even at the time they knew it was something special and held on to it. After using it for ten years the transmission was giving them problems and they parked it, 30 years later I come along.

Back