MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

So I have been told, My engine is still mated to the transmission so in time I'll tell.

I'm all about documentation and fact, The 1969 CHP Polara is a thing of legends and myths. There has been talk of what other agencies may have done with their cars but I have no proof that any CHP auto tech has ever played with these cars, I have talked with some. It is possible that a car here or there might have been played with but that is no where near what it would take to give these cars the reputation that they have.

Only time will tell, if this is a standard 375 HP 440 then no way, maybe 150-160 with a little tuning.

Alan

I found the contact info on the 168 mph car, if you want it to talk to him. He said it's a 38k mile car, with only improved suspension parts. He is currently restoring a 68 Belvedere 440 police package car.

I found the contact info on the 168 mph car, if you want it to talk to him. He said it's a 38k mile car, with only improved suspension parts. He is currently restoring a 68 Belvedere 440 police package car.

Thanks,

It would be nice to see what he has, send me the info in a PM

Alan

With bodywork winding down I felt it might be a good time to start looking at the engine and frame. After a few days I had it all apart leaving the engine lower end and transmission on the frame. Over the next couple weeks I focused of freeing the engine, I’d brush a mixture of ATF and acetone in each of the bores and try and work the crank. Each day I’d start with beating on a 2x2 with a 5lb sledge and rotating the crank the other way and trying again. Each time I’d get another 1/8” of travel till I was finally able to bust past the stuck spot.

2013-01-15_003.jpg

2013-02-04_001.jpg

Sometime while the car was being painted I sent the frame first to a body shop to be put on their frame rack and squared (the front foot or so on the left was bent down a 1/2" or so probably from the previous incident with a cow). With that squared away I had the frame powered coated. I started to put the frame back in when I realized that I still needed to do some detailing under the car as it was never touched, still had weeds and dirt from the field.

2013-04-14_002.jpg

There were still a pile of small parts that needed to be painted with the body and I had to double check on some of them using the other two cars I have a reference.

• Here is a list of items that WERE painted body color.
  • Fender Braces
  • Core Support
  • Hood Latch Support
  • Battery Tray
  • Trunk Catch (on my Barracuda it was natural)

• Items that were NOT painted body color.
  • Inner Fenders
  • Grill Brackets
  • Hood Latch Bracket
  • Battery Heat Shield
  • Battery Support Bracket

Parts from the parts car were looked over for signs of red paint then confirmed on my other Polara that is green. Some parts I looked at mating surfaces and where bolts were for evidence of being painted with the car or separately. I’d say the surprise was that the hood latch bracket was NOT painted with the car at all but the vertical center support was. This was consistent on both of my references.

2013-04-08_011.jpg

Now that the car was painted I decided to take care of the inside of the air plenum something that should have been done first. Por-15 was brushed on everywhere that I could reach. By now I have received all the small parts that have been painted.

2013-04-21_002.jpg

2013-05-09_004.jpg

Over the next couple months the car was wet sanded a couple time and then buffed out. This was repeated on the doors which were installed soon as they were done.

2013-07-13_001.jpg

While I was waiting for my body guy to be available again I moved on to the trunk. I first went over all the seams with seam sealer then over all the bare spots with Por-15. Once all that setup I sprayed the spatter paint over everything.

2013-07-21_001.jpg

2013-07-23_001.jpg

And this is where it is currently again for those who are interested I have this in greater detail on my website with many many more pictures.

Perfect timing, 3 years today is when I fist got the car, go go go!

This car was blessed to have you purchase it. So many wouldn't have gone through the trouble and time

This car was blessed to have you purchase it. So many wouldn't have gone through the trouble and time

If this was just another 1969 Dodge Polara I would have parted it out but being a genuine retired CHP car it was a different story. As it was I passed on two others that were in far worse condition.

Alan

I know why you stuck with it, it is a monumental task most would have walked away

Agreed, this 69 CHP is receiving the proper restoration it deserves. It is nice you had a choice in the matter on choosing between more than one car. As much as anyone does not wish to crush a car that it is a basket case, you do have to draw the line. At some point, it does become just a VIN number or in this case, unit number. Great skills and attention to detail at work here!

Truly inspiring.

Nice to see what is actually possible - but a bit of a high mark for the rest of of to live up to!

This originally started out to be a daily driver restoration, I didn’t have the money or want to spend the time. The deeper I got into it the more I got into it mixed with a job change for the better but at the end of the day that has probably cost me an additional $6000 which isn’t that bad.

Alan

Recently I have been working with one of the electrical harness suppliers on making a new rear body harness for my project. I received the harness unfinished so I could check for fit. At this time they do not have a source for the marker lamp sockets and reused my originals. If needed they could probably use a standard socket, that would make it a little difficult to put in but not impossible.

2013-08-20_004.jpg

With this we may see a 1969 Polara/Monaco 4-door sedan/hardtop harness added to their catalog.

With bodywork winding down I felt it might be a good time to start looking at the engine and frame. After a few days I had it all apart leaving the engine lower end and transmission on the frame. Over the next couple weeks I focused of freeing the engine, I’d brush a mixture of ATF and acetone in each of the bores and try and work the crank. Each day I’d start with beating on a 2x2 with a 5lb sledge and rotating the crank the other way and trying again. Each time I’d get another 1/8” of travel till I was finally able to bust past the stuck spot.

2013-01-15_003.jpg

2013-02-04_001.jpg

Sometime while the car was being painted I sent the frame first to a body shop to be put on their frame rack and squared (the front foot or so on the left was bent down a 1/2" or so probably from the previous incident with a cow). End Quote.............

Alan, you took the frame to a shop and they straightened it off the car? You then reinstalled the frame after the repair? Were you satisfied with the outcome?

I have an issue with a frame that need to be addressed..............

137743 2013 radiator support.jpg

The rail on the left, the cars right took a wallop. The damage is in front of the wheel probably the forward most 14 inches, the left side of the cars rail pulled a bit from the hit but not as bad

137743 2013 radiator support.jpg

2013-01-15_003.jpg

2013-02-04_001.jpg

Sometime while the car was being painted I sent the frame first to a body shop to be put on their frame rack and squared (the front foot or so on the left was bent down a 1/2" or so probably from the previous incident with a cow).

Alan, you took the frame to a shop and they straightened it off the car? You then reinstalled the frame after the repair? Were you satisfied with the outcome?

I have an issue with a frame that need to be addressed..............

View attachment 16375

The rail on the left, the cars right took a wallop. The damage is in front of the wheel probably the forward most 14 inches, the left side of the cars rail pulled a bit from the hit but not as bad

Yes, I wasn't sure they could do it. I knew what the frame rack looked like and wasn't sure they could tie it down. The bend on mine was almost undetectable just looking at it.

2013-02-17_009.jpg

This is what I saw that made me want to have it looked at, as you can see the part under the core support isn't parallel to the trans mount portion. When you looked at the bottom of the frame you could see where it had a buckle just forward of the left control arm mount. I probably could have left it and aligned it out with shims under the core support but now it is perfect. Check ahead of time to see if they can or will do it without the car. The 69 service manual has a frame drawing with all the numbers they needed.

Thank You, I guess I should look into that. My frame is rock solid but has the twist. Frames I have located have been rusted up, scaled, or beat up

Thank You, I guess I should look into that. My frame is rock solid but has the twist. Frames I have located have been rusted up, scaled, or beat up

To bad you're 3000 miles away (and I think the 71 is a little different than the 69) as I have a 69 frame free for the taking.

I am under the impression that the 69 Frame is the same but it is still too far away. There is one 100 miles from me, $200.00 seems reasonable but I'd really rather keep the original

I am under the impression that the 69 Frame is the same but it is still too far away. There is one 100 miles from me, $200.00 seems reasonable but I'd really rather keep the original

Personally do not know for a fact, I do not see why there would be a difference. A friend is restoring a 71 Polara and in his pictures of his frame I could see that it was longer and other differences.

Picture 710.jpg

The above is the frame he is using on his 71

Picture 710.jpg

I have heard the 71's are longer but do work. The wagons, two doors and convertibles share the same part number, the four doors have their own. That doesnt mean they dont work just means there is some difference.

This 1970 Polara has a 1971 frame under it

113633 2010 left.jpg

113633 2010 left.jpg

Back