Mrs. Billet

cuda hunter

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is a post just to put pictures to the car that I just purchased.
It's a 1971 Chrysler Newport Custom.
She has been garage kept her whole life.
Surprisingly wonderful condition and will not need a "restoration".
This post is to just document the things I do to the car.
I've purchased a 4 door C body just so I can familiarize myself with the models and immerse myself in the C body culture.
Here is her fender tag.

Yes, she is a lot heavy in the rear, but that is acceptable for now.

20210502_154444.jpg

billet2.jpg

E61-383 8 cylinder 1-2 barrel 275 HP B
D32-A727 3-speed/automatic transmission
C-Chrysler Newport
L-Low price class
43-4 door hardtop
L-383 2 barrel
1-1971
C-Jefferson, MI USA
187056-Sequence number
GY4-Light Gold
L-Low trim grade
3-Bench cloth/vinyl split back with center armrest
Y5-medium gold
120-January 20th 1971 Scheduled production date
104319-Vehicle Order number
V1Y-Gold vinyl top
H51-Air conditioning with front heater
R13-AM high powered 5 1/2 Watt
L31-Turn signal light hood/fender
B41-Front disk brakes with standard 10" drums
G11-Tinted glass all windows
V5X- Black body side protective moldings
R31-Rear seat speaker S
55 Inspector's stamp on upper right corner

Last edited:
In this thread I am discussing how to get the brakes in working order so I can safely move the car. front brakes won't bleed Once I have the brakes in working order I can get it moved, so I can move other cars and get her in the garage. This car must be kept in a garage in my opinion. It's entire life as far as I know has been in a well sealed garage. I say well sealed just because the lack of dust in all the crevice's of the car's interior. I purchased this from the third owner who apparently just bought the car from the grand daughter of the original owner.

Last edited:
Or is this the correct one? Boars grain?

View attachment 457949

I have the 1971 Chrysler color and trim selector and the second photo above (page 56 at the bottom) shows the more close color and it is definitely boar grain - only Imperials used the levant grain (more of a pebble grain) in 1971. Neither one above is exactly correct. I personally prefer the gold color of the boar grain in your first chart for your Newport Custom but it isn't exactly correct. I doubt anyone would notice that the first one (more of a yellow gold than a brown gold that is more correct) would be incorrect.

I have a tawny gold 1971 Imperial with the levant grain and its gold color is also more tawny gold (or more like a dark brown as opposed to what most folks call gold where the color is more yellow (and the V1Y color of both the Imperial and Chrysler grains is the same in 1971)). The paint and vinyl top on my Imperial are both original (it only has 41K miles on it.)

100_5326.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the correct color top for a 71? V1Y.

View attachment 457948

@cuda hunter — I have never seen a 1971 Chrysler with a V1B top, but I am aware of two with a V1A top. One is a 2dr NYer sold by the late @mindshark13:

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/1971-new-yorker-in-tampa-fl-2dr-triple-gunmetal-red-stripes.52972/

The other is a 4dr sold by @bigblockmopar66 in 2015:

For Sale - 1971 Chrysler New Yorker Hamilton, NJ

Question: Where did you get the above “top material” photos? Providing sources (links) helps assess the suitability of the photos and gives proper credit to the folks who found the originals and made the effort to upload them.

Last edited:
She has finally landed in the garage. She's as big as my old 64 lincoln but blends in with all the mopar junk better than that lincoln.
She barely fits.

20210510_182458.jpg

20210510_182537.jpg

I picked up this 71 Newport from close to where I had dollied a jeep cherokee for an engine removal.
Decided to go check out this car since I was there and actually had a dollie on the back of the truck. Couldn't find a car hauler. I hate using a dollie.
On the way to my buddies place, within an hours drive I had a blow out. I had to put that spare on the car for the remainder of the drive to my buddies place.
While changing the tire we had a tornado come within a mile of us. It was very very windy. Tumble weeds were blowing so hard it broke the running light on my truck with one. Got the tire changed and drove around the tornado. There was a warning on my phone telling me to take cover and my buddies walkie talkie was freakin out due to the different fire departments chatter.
Made it to his house, dismounted and mounted some tires and pulled the golden billet home on good tires.
Unfortunately it knocked a little undercoating off of the wheel well, bent the pinch weld between the trunk floor and the outer floor over and slightly bent the chrome trim on the wheel well. All very fixable issues without damaging any of the paint or exterior surface's of the car.
the fuzzy picture is just after I got the tire on. The edge of this storm was over us. the air was vibrating and things were slightly slowed down wind wise. Very interesting experience.

I hate admitting that I dollied the car, but here are some pics.

20210502_183400.jpg

20210502_183402.jpg

20210502_185057.jpg

20210502_183016.jpg

Congratulations, nice score! :thumbsup: I'm sure most here would like to see a lot more pics. Glad to see that you dodged the tornado. It will be a good story to tell the grand kids.

This flat tire would be the first time this spare was ever removed from it's original location in my opinion. Now I can't figure out exactly how it was installed.
I'm considering leaving this spare tire as it is and getting another spare to put in the trunk next to it.
Does this help the value in any way.
I know that I paid 2500 for my spare inflatable date coded original Cuda spare.
What's this worth? Like 15 bucks minus a few cents?

I do find it interesting that the spare has a 24 marked on it. None of the other tires have that mark and they are all the same tiers with the same paint.

I will have lots more pictures.
The blue car that I just bought needs to be a true daily driver so I need to focus a little on that before I get this one tip top shape.
And I would prefer to only post pictures now after I have cleaned an area. This gold bar needs some polishing. Literally sat in the garage since 84. The tires that are on it are dated 1979. Definitely was risking the drive on those year tires.

I can't find a double white wall anywhere on the market.
I can only find two white walls in 235/ 75/15.
One has a center white wall that is 1" wide and the other has an outer white wall that is about 2" wide.
Can someone tell me which white wall is correct?
Or where to find a double white stripe tire like the original tires.

Back