Muffler recommendations please

challenger

Reaction score
I need to replace the mufflers on my 1970 300. I had them replaced maybe 400 miles ago but I then blew them up by doing a bad job installing a distributor. I can't find the brand of these mufflers but they sound really good and I'd like a similar sound. They are basic looking mufflers but gave a louder sound than stock. I'm pretty sure they are just a chambered muffler type with a louder tone. There is a part number on them but no results while googling. The place that did them closed up so I can't check there either. I don't want flow masters and I don't want to spend a ton on new mufflers.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Post some pics of them and I am sure the guys could tell you what type they are since you liked them.

The guy that did my exhaust put cherry bombs on. They are a 24" muffler that actually sounds pretty good. I've put about 4000 miles on them and I don't think that they gotten any louder.

the'67 New Yorker I picked up recently has new Flowmasters on it. Not what I would have bought normally, and while they're a little louder than stock, they're not inappropriately loud, not for a New Yorker anyways. Not a suitable choice for an Imperial, but probably OK for a regular Chrysler.........

Good luck.

Most likely you had the Dynomax "Super Turbo" mufflers on your car or something similar.

Super Turbo™ Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

They are a copy of the mufflers that Chevy put on the turbocharged Corvairs. Good horsepower with a decent sound.
I just put one on my '67 Newport w/ single exhaust. The muffler is basically the same setup, just a little shorter in length. Sound is little more louder/agressive. Sounds kind of like what challenger is describing.

Magnaflows. Sound good, not loud, and are not supposed to explode in the case of (another) backfire.

On my 1970 Newport Convertible 383HP dual exhaust I used Walker as I wanted a quiet ride

I just swapped the mufflers on my car. Went with Walker Sound FX with an 18" body replaced the Summit Racing turbos with 14" body. The harshness in the passenger compartment has been reduced greatly and the exhaust tone is still nice.

I would consult your local custom exhaust shop. They maybe give you a cost reduction if you don't like the ones they put on. You can maybe hear a car with similar motor with different mufflers of choice on YouTube.

I was really sad to see that Accurate exhaust is no longer making C body stuff.

There are three-chamber Flowmasters and four-chamber Flowmasters. Four-chambers will be the quieter one of the two. I got tired of hearing every 5.0L Mustang having Flowmasters on them! A distinctive sound that came to be irritating to me.

Y'all are forgetting about the Street HEMI muffler! Which was OEM stock equipment on the '69 Polara 440/375 police cars. The only C-body application.

Shorter than the normal C-body muffler, but the same case width. Similar in sound to the prior "best hot rod choice" Corvair Turbo muffler. Default mode = Walker OEM replacement.

CBODY67

Most likely you had the Dynomax "Super Turbo" mufflers on your car or something similar.

Super Turbo™ Mufflers - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust

They are a copy of the mufflers that Chevy put on the turbocharged Corvairs. Good horsepower with a decent sound.

I put those on my car. However, I used the 13" version first and it only took three weeks, or three drives, before I had it up to you know where. Had the muffler shop take them off and put the 20" version on and it was sooooo much better.

I put on a pair of Walker #18381 from Summit... cost about $60 for the pair... they are a tad louder than I wanted, but sounded pretty good... ask the Carlisle crew what they thought she sounded like. Stock 440... any lopeyness was related to my fuel delivery problem (pick up tube, I think... replacement tank not home yet).

The 5.0 mustang /flowmaster overload has put me off flowmaster mufflers. I'm so tired of hearing these cars.

I also had an Omni glhs. It had a super 60 upgrade and way over one horsepower to pound of car. I used to love pulling up next to a 5.0 mustang and leaving them in my rear view mirror. It was almost impossible to keep the front tires from roasting. Wish I still have it.

Interesting as my Omni is the complete super 60 setup I built in the 90's. I don't use the S 60 computer and run a custom flashed Smec.
Here is mine to bring back memories for ya.

20160616_133726 (1).jpg

The 5.0 mustang /flowmaster overload has put me off flowmaster mufflers. I'm so tired of hearing these cars.

The firing order is different in Mustangs and that is why the sound with Flowmasters is so distinctive.

I have Flowmasters on my 78 NYB and they sound great and not annoying at all

Back