My 440 Build

Parts came in! Unfortunately the connecting rods are still being worked and my dad's visit is over on Thursday, so it's unlikely we'll get much (if any) time to start the short block assembly together. Oh well, I'll take my time and certainly wait for his next visit to help install it. Getting excited!
Parts.JPG

The machinist ended up boring it to .030. I guess there was a spot that wouldn't clean up. Glad I waited until he finished boring it before ordering parts! Waiting on connecting rods to get cleaned up.

Ok I'm looking for some input on camshafts for the 440. I'm hoping some here have some advice and guidance. Let me know what you ran and what you like/didn't like and why. Thank you!

Goals:
All around performance. Low-end and mid-range power (Street cruising), no plans to get to the strip, just tearing up the suburban streets. I don't go more than 20-30 miles at a time on the highway, no long trips in the Fury.

Short Block:
440 (.30 over)
Speed Pro/TRW L2355F
Stock LY rods

Heads (undecided so far):
440 Source (80cc's)
Edelbrock RPM's (84cc's)

Intake (undecided so far):
Most likely dual plane (Performer RPM)

Cam (Hydraulic Flat Tappet):
Started looking at Comp Cam XE268H, not sure what else to consider.

Any thoughts?

Just remember the more rumpty the less vacuum and brakes you will have too. You will also lose the low end performance and it'll be a pig taking off from a dead stop.

Rumpity rump is ok with me, and no power brakes so I'm not super concerned about vacuum.

However, I don't want to lose low-end grunt off the line. If I use stealth or rpm heads should I consider something with more lift? Or is that only really going to help at the upper rpm range?

Will the purple camshafts work with the stock converter? Or will I be happier with something a little bigger?

Lift is free, it does not cost drivability.
Anything under .500 lift you will not be seeing a ton of improvement with the heads you listed but definitely some.
Duration is what kills driveability hanging the valves open longer reduces manifold vacuum and low rpm velocity sufferers.
For low end grunt I would not go over mid 220 duration @ .050
Anything approaching 230 @ .050 you should probably be looking for a converter

Thanks everyone for the input... I think I have it narrowed down to 2 choices.
P4286677AE - .455 Cam
P4452993AE - .474 Cam

I keep hearing however that if the choice comes down to 2 cams, choose the smaller of the two. So thinking the .455 is the way to go. Anyone running the .474 have input? I don't want it to dog on the low end, but want to make sure I don't leave anything on the table by not planning it right.

If I run the Speed Pro 2355 Pistons I calculate just at 10:1 compression using 80cc heads and 9.6:1 using 84cc heads. I'd like to keep it simple by using the stock valve train.

What do you all think?

The 677 is essentially the Magnum replacement
The 993 is the street Hemi grind replacement.
You will most likely need a converter to go with the 993 in a big car.
The 677 is always a good cam but will not be using the improvements in your heads.
Time for you to make a decision.

Since vacuum is not an issue for you. I would go with the aggressive of the 2 cams. I would say you are safe with the 10:1 compression with the aluminum heads.

Back