My 440 Build

I would seriously doubt you will get to the 10.26 : 1 compression with the 80cc head and the piston down in the hole the .029-.030 that the numbers work out to. You will most like be at least .050-60 in the hole and with a good closed chamber aluminum head it should be fine.

That's what it says in Mopar performance catalog and in the engine and chassis books say. I'm not sure how it works but it is a formula I believe to take into account the power band and torque of the engine to give a stall speed. In other words if you use the same converter behind a 340, 440, Hemi, each will stall differently.
That's all I have now you can Google it.

That's what it says in Mopar performance catalog and in the engine and chassis books say. I'm not sure how it works but it is a formula I believe to take into account the power band and torque of the engine to give a stall speed. In other words if you use the same converter behind a 340, 440, Hemi, each will stall differently.
That's all I have now you can Google it.
So, you used a term to sound smart but I caught you. Is that what you are saying?

You asked if the stall was the same Hemi/440 I said it was done by K factor so I did not know, I admitted to being stupid right off the bat:poke:

OK. Let's try it this way...
How many different BB torque converters did the factory produce and what were their stall speeds? :rolleyes:

It will be a 727 thing, no designation big or small block.

There were 11" and 12" factory converters, but every C-body with a B or RB engine I have seen came out with a 12".

I would recommend about a 2500 stall in an 11" and under normal driving you will never tell a difference from a stock converter.

One note no one seemed to point out is that the angled plugs on Edelbrock heads might pose an issue if you are running manifolds. Possibly someone here has dealt with this. It could give even more clearance, but checking ahead of time would be wise.

The Mopar/Edelbrock heads ran the straight plugs and still had the heli-coiled bolt holes and better valves, springs and retainers vs the chinese 440 source heads, but it seems whomever is in charge of pricing the Mopar heads is a moron and damn near doubled the price in the last couple years. They must really not want to sell any... Did I already say MORONS? I also noticed the Mopar .509 Purple shaft with lifters is nearly $600...SFB

Also for others' reference, as Stan touched on; the Comp Extreme Energy cams are noisy as they just drop the valve closed and beat the hell out of your valve-train.

Their cams have gone through the roof, damn shame for profiles that have been around since the 70s. I'm not a fan of comp cams flat stuff I think they make fine products elsewhere, if the powers that be told them they did not have to make flat tappet cams they would be out tomorrow.

I ended up going with the 677 (magnum replacement). It was really hard to find any reviews of guys using the 677 or 993 in a 440. And most of what I did see was folks using the 993 (Hemi grind) for more top-end performance. I read anecdotally in a couple posts that the low-end/driveabilty suffers with the more aggressive 993 as well, but again I couldn't find anyone actually running that cam in a 440. I was really struggling with getting the more aggressive grind, but I hear that going with the more conservative of 2 choices usually is the best decision. Cam is in the mail, I hope to have it this week then off to the machinist to test-fit with new cam bearings.

If all goes well I hope to have the newly machined block, crank, pistons & reconditioned rods back home this week.

Cam and lifters came today. Getting excited!
P4286677 Purple Cam.JPG

The block is back from the shop along with the crank, rods and pistons. I was able to get the cam installed tonight. Tomorrow, I'll work on the crank.
IMG_8433.JPG
IMG_8434.JPG
IMG_8438.JPG

Just a little update.

Mains and crank measured within tolerance using dial bore gauges and plastigauge so I cleaned everything up, lubed everything up and laid the crank. It went pretty easy, everything torque'd up nice and easy and it spins freely by hand!

IMG_8480.JPG

Question about compression ring gaps.
Are most rings going to be file-to-fit? I bought Hastings moly rings and they seem to be a bit tight if I use the feeler gauges. I get anywhere from .013 to .014 inches of gap for both Ring 1 and Ring 2. This is about .001 to .002 short of the manufacturers minimum suggestion. Is this pretty normal to expect to file to fit each one? And if so, should I overshoot each ring an extra .001 or .002 to be safe?

Checking Compression Ring Gaps
ring-gap.JPG

Back