My '70 Newport Convertable

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted a picture of the taillights on my '70 on another post, and two members asked me to post more. So, here it is.

I bought it in September, 2003 from a guy in Pahrump, Nevada. He was trying to sell it on eBay but couldn't get a bid above $3,500, quite a distance from his reserve. I told him I could not bid, but if he was interested in selling give me a call. He sent me his number and I called him. He said he was hoping for $6,500 for the car but was at a loss as to why he was getting no bids higher than 3500. I told him two things: It's a factory 383 car and it has vinyl, not leather seats. He was advertising it as a factory 440 car with leather. So, he said it had a 440 in it from the original day of sale, where it was swapped in. I told him that doesn't matter; the VIN indicates 383, so Chrysler people, who can be funny, will be wondering what else he's lying about. I also told him that if it were a 300 he'd get his price, but being a Newport, probably not. He was a little dismayed; he actually knew nothing about cars, especially Chryslers.

So, I made him an offer. I told him if the car was in the shape he said it was, I'd pay him the $6,500 if he'd hold the car until I could come up with the money. And, I had no idea how long that would take. He hesitated a moment, then said, "Well, it's not like I need the money, sure, I'll do it."

Turns out the price was too high as the car needed considerable amount of work, including motor mounts. But, after I sold my '62 New Yorker to Steve Hobby, and borrowed 5 grand form a church member, I bought the car and have had it in my possessions since November of that year.

Originally silver (E4 Silver Metallic), the original owner painted it this green after it sat for ten years. He also had the black top replaced by a white one, dyed the interior, and puit in a cheap carpet kit. One day I hope to rectify all of this, using Chris Sherman for the paint, but the white top will stay. There's no way in Hell I'm driving a car the color of the Raiders!

There is a 440 in it; I've installed an Edelbrock Performer intake and 750 cfm carb, Mopar Performance ignition, dual exhaust, dual-snorkel air cleaner, and swapped the 2.76 open with a 2.76 sure grip. I had 3.23s for a while but didn't like the higher rpm at freeway speeds. I have also converted the front drums to disks and rebuilt the front end. Here are some pictures. (To follow)

70driversside.JPG

The car as it appeared when I bought it. Notice the missing trim on the front wheel well. The lights were all cracked too. Those were easier to find than the trim piece.
front.JPG

The trim was missing around the front of the grill, so was the rubber piece on the hood and the front bumper. Was able to find those on a few cars in Fresno.

70interior2.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

This is with the trim min place, the Shelby 500s and TAs, new motor mounts and other goodies having been done.

IMG_2941.JPG

While replacing the turn signal cab I broke the original wheel - dropped it. D'oh!! I like this 15" Grant wheel. Yes, that is a working 8 track in the dash.

IMG_2605.JPG

I remove that pie-pan when going to a Mopar show. AC was low on R-12 when I bought it. We filled it and it worked great until last September. Now I have a decision to make: try to find more R-12 or convert to the new stuff.

IMG_2751.JPG

No more drums!!!

IMG_6604.JPG

Showing it off next to my Son's '73 Gremlin X - now powered by a 401 and 4-speed, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sg.

IMG_6605.JPG

I think they make a nice pair.

Awesome, I love the green.
Thanks. It's a "love it or hate it" color. I'm in the latter camp, sorry. So is my wife. The first thing she said when I brought it home, "What color are you going to paint it?" Seriously, first words out of her mouth! 13 years later I'm still wondering. Ha!

The green works with the white interior, without it, blah. You could always go back to the silver and black, LOL.

The green works with the white interior, without it, blah. You could always go back to the silver and black, LOL.
Nah. the white is the original color, so it will look good with the silver. But the black top I just can't do. I'm a Niner fan!

Always found it funny that the boot cover was white - or actually, off-white - when the top was black. With the boot in place it's silver with white. With the top up it's silver and black. Hmmmm....

I replaced the cover with one from Legendary years ago as the original was torn.

Nah. the white is the original color, so it will look good with the silver. But the black top I just can't do. I'm a Niner fan!

Always found it funny that the boot cover was white - or actually, off-white - when the top was black. With the boot in place it's silver with white. With the top up it's silver and black. Hmmmm....

I replaced the cover with one from Legendary years ago as the original was torn.

The boot colour was typically the same as the interior.

The boot colour was typically the same as the interior.
Yes, I know that, I just find the two opposite colors interesting. I've had people tell me, "Silver with white will not look good; go back to black if you paint it silver again." for which my answer is, "Silver and white look great with the top down." :)

Current colour combo looks great but I don't understand why they changed from silver. Did you ever verify the seller's assertion that the motor was dealer installed when new by checking the #s on the block?

Current colour combo looks great but I don't understand why they changed from silver. Did you ever verify the seller's assertion that the motor was dealer installed when new by checking the #s on the block?
I did, but it wasn't necessary. The VIN has an L in it - that's a 383 2 bbl. The motor is an "F" series 440. The transmission is the original; the numbers are there.

It was repainted because it sat outside in the Nevada sun for ten years. Why green tough is anyone's guess.

When I first bought the car a Mopar buddy of mine was looking at the trunk and saw the wheel wells and the area right by the latch:
IMG_1479a.JPG

He then asked to look at the Fender Tag and said, "Thought so, this car was originally silver." You can also see traces of silver in the engine bay.

IMG_1479a.JPG

If I ever wanted a Gremlin... it would have to be like your son's X. I like the vert just as she sits... but I don't think you could paint her ugly enough for me not to still like her just a little.

Ha!!

Of course, they didn't make Gremlins like that, Jerry and I did. Even though they made 360 Hornets, of which the Gremlin is based, the biggest motor in a factory Grem was a 304, and the only manual trans was a 3-speed. Randall AMC of Arizona did stuff 401s into some 50 Gremlins, but all were 727 automatics.

The 401 in this car came from a wrecked '77 Wagoneer, and the T-10 from a '68 Javelin. Since all second generation AMC V8s are externally identical, 290, 304, 343, 360, 390, and 401, I knew we could fit that 401 in there. The taller heads made it a tight squeeze though.

I knew she wasn't factory... bet that was a fun project and a hoot to drive. I'm not a big Gremlin fan... but if I was to have one, you guy built it.

haha! Someone else who doesn't want to wear the Raider colors! Turns out my Fury was painted by a Raiders fan. It was originally the medium blue metallic, but he painted it black, tinted the windows, and had a Raiders decal in the back window and used to take it Raiders games. But I got rid of the decal, the tint is gone, and when the day comes when I can afford to do it, it will go back to its original blue color.

haha! Someone else who doesn't want to wear the Raider colors! Turns out my Fury was painted by a Raiders fan. It was originally the medium blue metallic, but he painted it black, tinted the windows, and had a Raiders decal in the back window and used to take it Raiders games. But I got rid of the decal, the tint is gone, and when the day comes when I can afford to do it, it will go back to its original blue color.

Yep, I would be right with you. However, I've been wanting to repaint my car since I got it - 13 years ago this November. Boo!

I'm about in the same ballpark timewise. But I'm running out of time, there was a little bit of a rust problem under the chrome of the rear window and now it's starting to grow.

Back